News:

• April 16, 2024, 08:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pactra Aero-Gloss Curtiss Blue  (Read 1291 times)

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Pactra Aero-Gloss Curtiss Blue
« on: November 11, 2020, 04:02:17 PM »
Anyone know of a good alternative that matches old Pactra Aero-Gloss Curtis Blue?  We are getting ready to build a Dixon Ringmaster 576 and paint it up like my Dad's old Ringmaster from 40+ years ago.  It was finished in Pactra Aero-Gloss Cub Yellow and Curtiss Blue. 

I am also contemplating having an auto paint shop just do a color match from the airplane and mix up some modern basecoat.

Thanks
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Pactra Aero-Gloss Curtiss Blue
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 05:44:02 PM »

I like the idea about going to a paint shop for matching the colors. Show some pictures when you get it finished..

Best wishes.. H^^ #^ :!
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 02:59:11 AM »
           I've been using Brodak Rocket Blue. It's darker but I bet some white in the mix would offer a pretty close match. When the jar is first opened, it looks like the Curtis Blue until it's stirred and then it gets dark.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 09:49:53 AM »
As someone who has painted with aircraft dope foe 60+ years, lightenjng blue by adding white doesn't work very often.  Instesd mix with a lighter shade of blue.  Adding white most likely will result in a greyish or greenisn blue.  Usually they are unattractive hues.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 11:56:45 AM »
As someone who has painted with aircraft dope foe 60+ years, lightenjng...Instesd...greenisn...

That’s what prolonged exposure will do.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 05:51:43 PM »
As someone who has painted with aircraft dope foe 60+ years, lightenjng blue by adding white doesn't work very often.  Instesd mix with a lighter shade of blue.  Adding white most likely will result in a greyish or greenisn blue.  Usually they are unattractive hues.

I saw a bit on TV on how Richard Petty came up with what is called Petty Blue. Goes back to the early days when he and Lee Petty were finishing up a new car, and it nbeeded painting. They only had two colors of blue, and neither one was what they wanted and was not enough to do the job, so they mixed them together. The result was what is Petty Blue and they had it trade marked and such after that.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 06:31:04 PM »
          I took the liberty today to try and mix some white into the blue. The color lightened up quite a bit actually. It wasn't greenish blue hue as suggested,  it ended up identical to Brodak's sky blue which I already have and it was so close I added it to the rest of the bottle. I used a 4 oz. bottle with about 1/4" of white in the bottom and used my wooden tongue depressor to add the blue. I scooped out two stick fulls and stirred it into the white. Apparently, I think that was just a bit much of white but the fact is it mixes well and lightens it as expected.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here