News:

• May 17, 2024, 02:56:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finex FX 1000  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Karl Knipper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Finex FX 1000
« on: December 19, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »
Good evening and Happy Holidays to you all.
I have a question about the spray gun Finex Fx 1000. I guess you can order it with the choice spray tip. I was wondering which tip or nozzle to order with the spray gun. I am a newbie to this type of finishing. I just haven't had good luck with a brush.lol  Also I have been reading the posts about Randolph paint. I am going to try it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Karl

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Finex FX 1000
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »
Well, I ordered mine with a .8 needle because I'm using it primarily for shooting colors, but for all around use, I'd go with the 1.0 tip.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »
Yeppers, what randy said, especially if you want to spray urethane clear, or primer/filler
The bigger tip is a much better choice,
One thing of note with this gun, it is very picky about being clean. Its easy to do, just make sure you do it.
Other than that, its a great tool for the price
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:33:29 AM »
Hey, I've been blessed by the master. I feel special.    ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Robert Organ

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:24:43 AM »
Randy and Mark, I bought my Finex 1000 1.0 tip gun from English Auto Paint in Dallas. I fully discussed the cleaning process and what I had heard concerning the thing being picky about cleanliness with the long time store manager who sold it to me, he let me have a small squeeze bottle with a  small  diameter hooked tube with a tiny outlet and told me to spray lacquer thinner with it  in the inlet on the gun where the paint cup attaches while squeezing the trigger and it would do a very good job of cleaning the thing out. He also told me to avoid taking it apart if I could. What is your opinion on this? I haven't used the gun yet and I always feel confident with your advice. Bob
Bob Organ   AMA 316747

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »
Hi Robert,

Well, Mark is more the expert here, but I take mine apart (along with my other two guns and airbrush) after a job is completed. During the job, I shoot thinner though and sometime use a soft pipe cleaner to clear out the tip and such, but only dismantle the guns when they will be stored for awhile. I'm careful with disassembly and with cleaning. Big trick is to make sure the passage from the paint feed to the tip is clean and that the needle and tip itself are spotless. Be careful about scratches and with the seals.

That's all I have. I'm sure Mark will have more.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 12:08:15 PM »
Pretty much what Randy said,, I flush it with a generous amount of clean thinner,, then when I change colors, or am done, I will take the fluid tip, and air cap off, Using a small acid brush, I will clean up any obvious residue, AFter that, I will use compressed air and blow the passages on both tips dry. Sometimes residue will stay there and the air will blow it clean. ( uh, make suer you have a good hold on the parts, you do NOT want to have them go shooting across the room, ask me how I know)
I generally leave the needle in place, though depending, I do take it out sometimes, but I dont like to as you end up cleaning all the lube off the seals that way. REassemble the gun and store it.
Thats about what I do,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Karl Knipper

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 03:01:37 PM »
Thanks for all you input. I will order mine tonight, when I get out of work

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »
Good evening and Happy Holidays to you all.
I have a question about the spray gun Finex Fx 1000. I guess you can order it with the choice spray tip. I was wondering which tip or nozzle to order with the spray gun. I am a newbie to this type of finishing. I just haven't had good luck with a brush.lol  Also I have been reading the posts about Randolph paint. I am going to try it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Karl
What should you expect to pay for one of these spray guns?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 10:36:44 PM »
James, you can find them on the 'Bay sometimes for around 80$, I think most auto supply walk in stores are getting around 100$ for them
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 10:25:13 PM »
James, you can find them on the 'Bay sometimes for around 80$, I think most auto supply walk in stores are getting around 100$ for them
Mark,
Thanks, I called a local shop and they quoted me around $200, thought that sounded high.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 01:22:14 AM »
Mark,
Thanks, I called a local shop and they quoted me around $200, thought that sounded high.

James

Hi Jame,

"Hit Da bay!"  If Mark says he uses them, they are plenty fine for our work.  Don't let him know it, but we'uns is a gonna get us'uns one of them thar thingies.  Right after we'uns replaces us'uns air compressor.  Dag gum thing didn't last but a bit over 15 years..... well maybe 20........ don't make things like they used to do.

Big Bear
RNMM: Card Carrying Charter member
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 09:47:31 AM »
Here's where I got mine: http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/

Found it on sale for $89
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Eric Viglione

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 01:19:23 PM »
I got one to use for clear only on recommendation from Randy Powell, and I think you will be very happy with it.  I plan on grabbing a second one dedicated to color when I get to the finishing stage on my next plane. Then I can retire my no name beater gun currently used for color.

Still use my old airbrush for small trim stuff though... it's just so much more practical for small trim lines, etc. and mixing small amounts of paint.

Just as an FYI - I noticed that my local Sherwin Williams auto paint store stocks this gun the last time I was in there for a few bucks more, but reasonable enough if your in a hurry and gotta pay shipping anyways.

EricV

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »
 b1
AMA 67711