Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

A Few Thoughts on Finishing

<< < (2/11) > >>

Bill Little:

--- Quote from: Clint Ormosen on September 29, 2007, 03:44:48 PM ---Randy, Im trying to follow your posted method for finishing. You listed Duplicolor as the primer you use, but I want to use Sig dope for color and clearcoat. Are the two products compatible?

--- End quote ---

In a word, yes! ;D

Randy Ryan:

--- Quote from: Clint Ormosen on September 29, 2007, 03:44:48 PM ---Randy, Im trying to follow your posted method for finishing. You listed Duplicolor as the primer you use, but I want to use Sig dope for color and clearcoat. Are the two products compatible?

--- End quote ---

Clint,

I have no experience using SIG over Duplicolor, but see no reason it shouldn't be compatible. I have used Brodak color and clear over it with great results. Easiest way to find out is to do a test piece, just a little square of balsa covered and finished the way you intend to do it.

Clint Ormosen:
Well, since I haven't bought the color dope yet, I can use Brodak. It's just that I don't have any experience with anything other that Sig. It's a comfort zone sorta thing.

Randy Powell:
>>Duplicolor has a new line of totally VOC compliant lacquers available now in their "Body Shop" series. <<

Turns out it's still not available here in the wonderful nanny state. At least my auto paint guy says so. However, he does say that DuPont makes an acrylic lacquer primer that may work and is available special order. Of course there's an outrageous EPA surcharge. It's not that we don't want you to use it, just that we want to make a bunch of money from you using it. They'd probably have a cow if they knew I was getting actual lacquer mail order.

Hey, there's an idea! 

---------------------------------------

OK, update. I found out that I can order the stuff online from a number of sources. I take it that the Duplicolor filling primer is a lacquer. It seems to be based on the description and it's listed under lacquers.

Mark Scarborough:
Randy,
shhhhhhhhh dont say that out loud you live WAY to close to Olympia they will hear you!
I can get Kondar Acrylic laquer primer, its the same price as K-36! guess which one I want to use?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version