News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do I detail the bottom?  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Vincent Judd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Do I detail the bottom?
« on: December 28, 2017, 03:29:57 PM »
How much detail should go into finishing the bottom of the wing?  Do you duplicate the design on the top, or just do an abbreviated version?  Do you put as much clear on the  bottom as the top, or do you go lighter?  Thinking about weight.

If you do nothing but the bare minimum on the bottom of the wing, how much would that affect your appearance points at events that award appearance points?  Do the judges ever turn the airplane over and scrutinize the bottom of the wing for detail?

Thanks

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Do I detail the bottom?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 04:35:13 PM »
Vincent,

I have no idea what others do? But I repeat the top on the bottom.

The ARGO and the ARGO 2 everything is exact top and bottom. Even measurement placement. I enjoy the work.

I hope you don't mind the photo?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
Charles, the bottom is exactly the same as those tops? That's a lot of work! Congratulations or condolences?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 05:08:04 PM »
Charles, the bottom is exactly the same as those tops? That's a lot of work! Congratulations or condolences?

"Great" Dane,

Yes, crazy isn't. However, I just make two of everything. Actually easier than doing different graphics on the bottom.

A different look on the bottom can make a model more pleasing to the eye also, like lettering on the top and some well arranged checks on the bottom.

I've done this also in R/C, but generally ditto on the bottom.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »
I do top and bottom the same except for lettering. I do the bottom first to practice.

Judges turn them over at the Nats and at the big West Coast contests. Not so much at local contests. Once Dave Gardner gave points based on the appearance of an airplane the previous year minus a point for expected wear.  We made him actually look at the plane in question at that contest. I don’t know if he turned it over.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:50:33 PM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »
Much to the chagrin of a previous Concours winner, his entry at the next Nats with a different airplane received a mediocre appearance points score.  When sitting on the floor, it was an outstanding model, potentially a 20 point winner.  HORRORS!  The appearance judges turned the model over, as they did with all of the models there, which he did not expect.  The judges discovered the bottom was not executed to the same level of detail as the top surfaces and was not even polished/rubbed out as had been the top.

(I am intimately familiar with what the two appearance judges saw that year.)

Keith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »
I remember many years ago our local stunt garu, Ray Rheinschmit was working on his twin engine Shark.  I walked up and looked at it and asked if it was a different plane as it was up side down and looked horrible.  He turned it over and there was the plane I knew with a fantastic finish.  He stated, "Why spend all that time on the bottom when the judges don't look at the bottom".    D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 12:13:09 PM »
I judge contests, and I look at bottoms.  'nuf said.  Or, maybe too much.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »
How much detail should go into finishing the bottom of the wing?  Do you duplicate the design on the top, or just do an abbreviated version?  Do you put as much clear on the  bottom as the top, or do you go lighter?  Thinking about weight.

If you do nothing but the bare minimum on the bottom of the wing, how much would that affect your appearance points at events that award appearance points?  Do the judges ever turn the airplane over and scrutinize the bottom of the wing for detail?

For the last, certainly, I always do and any other appearance judges I have either worked with or trained look at the entire airplane.

I think you ought to do the top and bottom equally well.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 06:33:06 PM »
   For the last, certainly, I always do and any other appearance judges I have either worked with or trained look at the entire airplane.

I must say, I've been tempted for a long time to make a plane that's beautifully conventional on the top, and has a screaming monster face on the bottom.  I wouldn't want to give a judge a fatal heart attack, though.  Or worse, have them drop my plane.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »
I use the bottom of the wing for practice for what I’m going to do on the top.  ;D

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 02:51:47 PM »
Bottom is good for an advertisement :) L

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 05:12:13 PM »
Here's the bottom to the ARGO 2.

It's a good place to start, then I do the tops.

CB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here