News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:37:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3M pinkish sensitive surface tape?  (Read 961 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
3M pinkish sensitive surface tape?
« on: November 01, 2020, 05:22:55 PM »
I'm laying out my checkerboard on my S1 Ringmaster and have tried the 3M pinkish sensitive surface tape. The wing is covered with silkspan and I didn't want to damage it with strong tape. So far I laid out the tape and did a clear dust coat then a second coat. It seemed to be ok but I needed to push the tape back down in a couple spots after the dust coat. Anyone use this tape with dope?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: 3M pinkish sensitive surface tape?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 06:17:33 AM »
I'm laying out my checkerboard on my S1 Ringmaster and have tried the 3M pinkish sensitive surface tape. The wing is covered with silkspan and I didn't want to damage it with strong tape. So far I laid out the tape and did a clear dust coat then a second coat. It seemed to be ok but I needed to push the tape back down in a couple spots after the dust coat. Anyone use this tape with dope?

Best,   DennisT

Dust coats can be an issue because the paint isn't going on wet. I always do a masking tape pull test before laying on other paint.

If you apply paint properly masking tape will not pull it off.

None of my models have had paint removed with the removal of tape.

Pink. New to me? If it's 3M there should be a use list on line. I only use blue or light green. And obviously, I use pant mask material.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 09:18:59 AM »
For checkerboard, I prefer to use Frisket or similar. Tends to work better. Never used the 3m sensitive tape.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 10:25:55 AM »
Charles,
The tape is 3M Delicate Surface tape #2080. After the second coat it is down good and looks sealed. I think for comparison I will use the Blue painters tape for the bottom to see any difference with the clear coat.

Randy,
I thought about the frisket but the tape approach seemed quicker and I had it in the shop. It is a pain getting the tape strips the correct size to fit within the rib bay. I wanted the edge to be down the rip line so it filled just one bay. I wound up making two 1/64" plywood tabs the correct width to use for setting the straight edge. One thing I found was you need to get an accurate side edge to start with. Once you lay a strip of tape on the cutting surface (glass table top for me) you need to set the straight edge along one side and cut a thin section off to get the accurate edge (kinda like setting the edge to glue balsa sheet together). Then I used the jug pieces to get the correct width needed for the checks.

Best,   DennisT

Best,   DennisT

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 03:39:43 PM »
I lay the adhesive paper out the way I want it and use a pencil to draw on the material with rulers or whatever. The use a razor to cut out what needs to be cut out. The hard part is always laying the material down accurately. It seals without using clear.  I found some Avery adhesive paper that works a treat. If interested, I'll go out the shop and get the number.

Here's an example.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 03:54:12 PM »
Randy,
Very nice ship. Yes if you could post the information on the mask paper you use it would be great.

Thanks,      DennisT

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 04:31:55 PM »
It was a Novi I. Cool plane.

Avery #18665  Comes in 8.5x11 and 11x16. Maybe bigger. Not sure.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 08:52:13 AM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 04:38:57 PM »
I just used this very tape to mask off the skirting boards in my house. I have to say for the price I paid I wasn't too happy. It does lift in a short space of time, and the pressure required to get it to stay down would be more than enough to much a hole though silkspan, probably enough to punch through 1/8" Balsa.

Considering the price compared to normal tape, it's just not worth the money IMO. I could buy a roll of 3M fineline for less and get a better, cleaner edge, and just take my time with a heat gun to remove it.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here