News:

• May 22, 2024, 02:25:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I have a paint question?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
I have a paint question?
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »
I am going to do gold leaf on this new plane. Sizing is mineral base and not compatible with dope. I was wondering if anyone has used white glue as sizing or should I just use dope?
AMA 12366

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: I have a paint question?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:30:20 AM »
    I have no experience with it, but I seem to remember a construction article Mike Schmidt di with Allen Brickhaus on a model and Mike used gold leaf on it. I think he had some sort of problem and may at least tell you what NOT to use. I'll see if I can track down the issue of Flying Models that it was in and get back to you.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:38:34 AM »
Robert,
there are acrylic size materials out there,, a google netted this, ( yes I know its in UK)
I am at work so I really cant devote a lot of time to searching for it,,

http://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Acrylic-Gilding-Size---1-Litre-7552.html

http://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Polyvine-Acrylic-Metal-Leaf-Size---1L-7565.html#SID=2740

http://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Wunda-Size-7550.html

so its available, might take some searching,, I know with auto base coats I have seen conventional sizing used,, but not on lacquer,, though it is done since hot rods of days gone by were all on lacquer.

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:46:53 AM »
  The model I was thinking of was Allen's Encore 50, published in October 2007 Flying Models. I did a quick scan of the article and he doesn't go into too much detail, only mentioning the need to use a specific glue to apply the gold leaf. You might want to contact Mike Schmitt and pick his brain. I may be wrong about the problems, but it just kind of sticks out in my mind. I was surprised that it was that long ago also!
  Good luck and have fun,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 11:44:27 AM »
AMA 12366

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 01:35:54 PM »
Yea, I was going to say, just use sizing. You can get it at a fabric store.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 07:24:24 PM »

Do you spray this sizing stuff through a mask or something to define your pattern?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 12:46:57 AM »
Bob Whitely has done some great gold leaf work. Perhaps he can be enticed to pitch in here.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 06:10:14 AM »
Do you spray this sizing stuff through a mask or something to define your pattern?

I retired as a Master Sign Painter, using brushes, around the early 2000's. I should say I was bouncing back and forth producing painted lettering and computer graphics at that time. Eventually computers took over all my lettering and graphics tasks. Still today, some applications are still done the "old School" way. Simply because the result cannot be achieved any other way.

"Gilding."

It was just one of the tasks you did as a sign guy to satisfy a customer. Once learned, the application was no big deal. And it isn't. I'm sure with information and direction, most modelers can pull this off and do a good job with it.

As a sign guy, I applied gold leaf and foils to many materials, mostly vehicles. Fire trucks and rescue wagons, certainly boats and yachts and show cars/hot rods. Glass windows and doors. Crown moldings and 3D sign letters. I even gold leafed a helicopter of all things!

What you're leafing doesn't really matter if you think about it. The choice of the method of application and leaf choice may change but basically it's the same process

Plenty of stuff on line and U-Tube, I would start there. research is important.

Size can be sprayed and brushed. General lettering, most sign guys simply brushed out the font or character with a soft quill. Normally, we used half hour size. Time was important because we were doing this for money.

My largest account that used gold leaf on their fleet of trucks was Boars Head. Today they use gold leaf vinyl. Yes, gold leaf vinyl but it has limitations.

The gold leaf on my Avenger I simply brushed free hand. I could have made a template and sprayed the image, but I have brushing abilities and the template wasn't necessary because of this.

Gold leaf is expensive but there is imitation gold leaf that does the trick and costs much less.

There are many choices in leafs and foils for different looks and uses.

Be nice to see a bit of leaf applications on models.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here