News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:13:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2K Max and humidity.  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
2K Max and humidity.
« on: August 04, 2021, 03:26:01 PM »
How much humidity is too much for this 2 part spray can paint? 
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: 2K Max and humidity.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 03:44:09 PM »
I've talked about 2K for almost 10 years, are you just getting around to it?

I've sprayed it in Florida heat and humidity with no issues, outside in the shade.

Front Row! Well Second I was told.

I have photos if you want them?

You must wear a really good respirator mask.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 07:19:51 PM »
I've never used Spraymax, still mixing my own and using a spraygun.  According to Spraymax, optimum results are humidity 40-60%.  https://download.kwasny.com/datasheets/TMB-680061_GB.pdf

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 05:53:39 AM »
Thanks Charles and George. I can't get clear butyrate to not blush. De-humidifier reading was 45%. I think that inside the wing is still too humid as the blushing is in the open bays. I'm using a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out and let the dryer air in. I have used it once before and did order a good respirator.

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 05:37:54 PM »
I alternate between Klass Kote and automotive basecoat, always with automotive 2k clear coat.  Over the years I have invested in some pretty good spray equipment and I enjoy it.  I have seen very positive things about the Spraymax clear.

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 09:53:53 AM »
I've had the dehumidifier running for 4 days without stopping. The humidity meter on the machine says 35% the temperature is mid 80's. I also have been changing the air inside the wing several times a day. Yesterday afternoon I got out the spray gun, blew some air through the hose to check for moisture and found none. I have two separators on the gun. I sprayed a panel on the wing with clear and it still blushed. Today I got out the Dupli-Color wheel clear and sprayed a panel and it didn't blush, nice and shiny. Now I'm thinking there is something about the clear. Randolph from Aircraft Spruce. I have a quart of clear from Brodak but I'm out of patience and the 2K should be here tomorrow.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 01:12:13 PM »
I've had the dehumidifier running for 4 days without stopping. The humidity meter on the machine says 35% the temperature is mid 80's. I also have been changing the air inside the wing several times a day. Yesterday afternoon I got out the spray gun, blew some air through the hose to check for moisture and found none. I have two separators on the gun. I sprayed a panel on the wing with clear and it still blushed. Today I got out the Dupli-Color wheel clear and sprayed a panel and it didn't blush, nice and shiny. Now I'm thinking there is something about the clear. Randolph from Aircraft Spruce. I have a quart of clear from Brodak but I'm out of patience and the 2K should be here tomorrow.

I believe you'll be delighted with the 2K Spray Max aerosol can two part clear.

A quality clear and different Brands are different in quality. The German brands are what I used when I was doing stuff professionally when I mixed.

The 2K Spray Max? I was told about this product, it's an aerosol can.

Before I jumped into it I did my homework. This product is the same automotive urethane clear coat found in cans which you have to mix. I checked.

With this said, and a lifetime of professional use of spray equipment, it was a perfect choice for my models because I did not want to go back to using spray equipment. Many Threads on this posted years ago.

The only clear I pitch is automotive two part urethane clear coat. I pitch the 2K Spray Max only because I've used it with great success. It's on all my models.

All of the models I've built and Posted, were painted with the 2K Spray Max clear in an aerosol can.

People have seen them but they don't come forward and mention the quality in the finish?

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 01:24:35 PM »
I sprayed the plane an hour ago. I had bought two cans of 2K Max and got almost 3 coats out of them. The second and third coats covered the mistakes of the first coat. It's curing now. It's a lot of work and a lot of money just break the 15 point barrier.
  I have another plane waiting for stars and bars from Major Decal. I think I'll try the Brodak clear first on that one. It's an L-17 Navion for War Bird.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 01:50:19 PM »
I sprayed the plane an hour ago. I had bought two cans of 2K Max and got almost 3 coats out of them. The second and third coats covered the mistakes of the first coat. It's curing now. It's a lot of work and a lot of money just break the 15 point barrier.
  I have another plane waiting for stars and bars from Major Decal. I think I'll try the Brodak clear first on that one. It's an L-17 Navion for War Bird.

Fix what you're doing wrong, you only need two coats.

The 2K will not hurt the decals.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 02:42:03 PM »
   You can do the clear coats for the entire model in clear dope. Dave the TWO PART or catalyzed clear for just the nose area of the model after the dope has cure a bit. polish those areas off a bit, then squirt the catalyzed clear. Do the nose and maybe the leading edges of the wings near the fuselage and perhaps back to the spar pf the center section. These are the areas that you may drip fuel on. That is your main worry, raw fuel. The rest won't need it. This is much lighter and quicker also. The two part stuff is harder to rub out but you will have much less to do. I have done a few model this way and seen many others done like this and you can't see the difference.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 10:21:06 AM »
Fix what I'm doing wrong? I don't have that much time. I did use the "T" nozzle on the can. T stands for trowel. Final assemble next on the agenda. First flight by the weekend maybe.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 11:57:58 AM »
Fix what I'm doing wrong? I don't have that much time. I did use the "T" nozzle on the can. T stands for trowel. Final assemble next on the agenda. First flight by the weekend maybe.

Maybe I should have used the word "mistakes" as you did?

You said this.

"The second and third coats covered the mistakes of the first coat."

What mistakes from the "first coat?" The can only comes with one nozzle that I know of?

I do a 55" model with two coats and no mistakes. Much left in the can. I have it mounted at the nose so I can spin the model.

I mentally "map out" my spray route from where I start and finish. same road for both coats.

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2021, 01:59:09 PM »
Just kidding about the "T" nozzle Charles. Mist coat or light coat is not in my skill group. There is not much in my skill group come to think about it. I set the plane up for the Evolution .52 but I'll go to a  Evolution .60 if the plane wants. They are cheap that's why and they run well on my home brew fuel. At least they were cheap when they were being made.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2021, 02:23:30 PM »
Just kidding about the "T" nozzle Charles. Mist coat or light coat is not in my skill group. There is not much in my skill group come to think about it. I set the plane up for the Evolution .52 but I'll go to a  Evolution .60 if the plane wants. They are cheap that's why and they run well on my home brew fuel. At least they were cheap when they were being made.

I have some NIB OS LA 46's.

I have a guy coming on the 18th  to pick up a purchased model who might buy other stuff.

I might have a few of the LA's left. I'll let you know.

Do you have good results making you're own fuel?

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2021, 05:15:47 AM »
Yes, very good results.  2% nitro, 22% oil (many gallons using 100% castor, many gallons using 100% synthetic and now using 50/50 castor synthetic.) Still 22% oil 2% nitro in all.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here