News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2K Flat spray over Monokote?  (Read 882 times)

Offline badbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
2K Flat spray over Monokote?
« on: February 10, 2022, 10:07:32 AM »
Has anybody tried the 2K Spray over Monokote? I'm in a situation where I want the whole plane to be flat and some of the monokote is glossy. What was your experience? I'm thinking if it will stick and stay it would be ideal to seal all the little seams ... An idea about preparation would be good also please.

Thanks in advance!
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 2K Flat spray over Monokote?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 06:25:03 PM »
You could try scuffing a small section on the bottom of the wing with very fine scotchbrite or steel wool. That would at least  get you a non glossy finish. Plus if you do decide to paint it with 2K, you would most likely want to scuff the surface anyway. If you have an old beat up airplane you could do some testing .

Kevin.   

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 11:03:06 AM »
I have used KBS diamond clear aerosol over MonoKote with no problems. It has been on for over 5 years, no peeling or yellowing. The best process I have found is to start by cleaning the surface with degreaser, scuff with 600 ish paper, clean again. Apply a light dust coat then light wet, don't over do it. You can do a test panel pretty easy by taking a piece of cardboard say 6"x 6" and cover with scrap MonoKote then test. You will get a feel for it pretty fast.

Best,   DennisT

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 02:49:44 PM »
I have used KBS diamond clear aerosol over MonoKote with no problems. It has been on for over 5 years, no peeling or yellowing. The best process I have found is to start by cleaning the surface with degreaser, scuff with 600 ish paper, clean again. Apply a light dust coat then light wet, don't over do it. You can do a test panel pretty easy by taking a piece of cardboard say 6"x 6" and cover with scrap MonoKote then test. You will get a feel for it pretty fast.

Best,   DennisT

Sounds good. I'm about done covering , but I think I may just leave it as is- the only gloss color I used was some white on the invasion stripes, and it looks fine as is. Way better than I thought it would LOL ! Thanks for the suggestions.
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here