News:

• April 24, 2024, 10:02:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2K Clear rattlecan  (Read 2588 times)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
2K Clear rattlecan
« on: May 10, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
Which of this stuff is fuel proof?? Or is all of it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 2K Clear rattlecan
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »
James, I have been using Dupli color wheel clear over dope and some other paints, and it works well, I find it at N A P A and O'Rilley also.  Might check there...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
James, I have been using Dupli color wheel clear over dope and some other paints, and it works well, I find it at N A P A and O'Rilley also.  Might check there...
Yea I seen the duplicolor at O'Reilly's but wasnt sure of it. I will more than likely order the 2K stuff.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 06:48:46 PM »
Which of this stuff is fuel proof?? Or is all of it?

Hi James,

The only paints that are truly fuel *proof* are the 2 part polyurethane paints (usually referred to as "automotive paint") which use an isocyanate catalyst to completely crosslink the base resin and the epoxy paints such as Klasskote.  Polyurethanes have the advantage that they do not fade or yellow like the epoxies do.  Both types have excellent initial gloss, however epoxies do not stand up to weathering nearly as well as the two part polyurethanes do.

On the cured (dried for about a week) two part polyurethanes I can take a wet (really wet, not just damp) rag soaked in MEK and wipe the surface of the paint with no harm at all for the paint.  One part polyurethanes are not nearly as chemical resistant.  The MEK test is much more severe than the highest nitro content fuel.

That being said, you may have a situation where you cannot, for whatever reason, spray the polyurethane.  It is fairly toxic but it is very doable with the proper equipment.  In this case you have to use the next best thing which may be rattle can material, etc. and that is the way to go in this case.

This thing about rattle can paint being "fuel proof" keeps coming up and I understand why.  Some will be more fuel proof than others and that is good information to have and is worth disseminating here.

Now, realizing all this, on my models I like to use the somewhat fuel *resistant* Randolph butyrate dope for everything except for the final topcoat clear for which I use the somewhat fuel *resistant* Sig Light Coat clear.  Old school.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Dave Royer

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 08:13:11 PM »
Question for Mr. Byles: Do you use Randolph thinner with your Sig clear top coat or Sig thinner? Or...?

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 07:03:14 AM »
Jamie,

Bill's info is spot on as usual!

Here's what i use.

To answer you question this is the stuff. Works great but builds up fast! I normally do one light/tack coat and then one wet coat. Whatever leftover you have, can immediately be put in the freezer and will usually be good for about 30 days. I actually got it to spray 6 months later but it was semi cured and did not flow. Shop around I normally get 2 cans at a time and pay around 17.50 a can. Doing a twister sized plane, you should have some leftover in the can, to use as a gauge. Its very fuel proof but if fuel finds a way underneath it you will have some lifting. I can show you in a picture if you would like.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=spraymax+3680061+2k+urethane+clear+coat+aerosol&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=78340264841540&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_c4uluhp2q_b

Good Luck,

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 07:07:27 AM »
Jamie,

Bill's info is spot on as usual!

Here's what i use.

To answer you question this is the stuff. Works great but builds up fast! I normally do one light/tack coat and then one wet coat. Whatever leftover you have, can immediately be put in the freezer and will usually be good for about 30 days. I actually got it to spray 6 months later but it was semi cured and did not flow. Shop around I normally get 2 cans at a time and pay around 17.50 a can. Doing a twister sized plane, you should have some leftover in the can, to use as a gauge. Its very fuel proof but if fuel finds a way underneath it you will have some lifting. I can show you in a picture if you would like.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=spraymax+3680061+2k+urethane+clear+coat+aerosol&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=78340264841540&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_c4uluhp2q_b

Good Luck,

Tom
Thats exactly what I got on ebay last night.. just a different label but number is same.

Please do share picture.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 08:58:17 AM »
Okay,

I'll Post 3 pictures.

1. Blitz finished 3 years ago. Maybe a dozen flights on it. Also, bladder had burst with 25% nitro fuel in it. No ill effects as the fuel didn't get under the urethane to attack the dope. BTW, this is what you get when you lay this stuff down. It sprays and flows very nice. I haven't even gotten around to rubbing this plane out yet.

2. Blitz- I flooded it with the 25% and fuel found a crack and curdled the dope underneath.

3. Super Satan- 50% Nitro, Bladder burst and fuel was able to get underneath at bladder opening and just lifted the dope right off taken the 2k clear with it. I now since, spray some in a cup and brush it inside the opening.

These are extreme cases as you see. I have a Combat Streak built 8 years ago that has no effects of fuel exposure. That plane has an LA 25 on it and runs on 10%. That plane has no sharp corners on that could cause a crack for the fuel to get under the clear,

All these planes are finished in a traditional method (Silk & Dope) and then just fuelproofed with the 2K  clear. I have had no issues with hot fuel whatsoever.

Hopefully, I covered it. if I can help in any other way.....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:57:30 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 08:58:57 AM »
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »
AMA 13001

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 09:02:10 AM »
Okay,

I'll Post 3 pictures.

1. Blitz finished 3 years ago. Maybe a dozen flights on it. Also, bladder had burst with 25% nitro fuel in it. No ill effects as the fuel didn't get under the urethane to attack the dope. BTW, this is what you get when you lay this stuff down. It sprays and flows very nice. I haven't even gotten around to rubbing this plane out yet.

2. Blitz- I flooded it with the 25% and fuel found a crack and curddled the dope underneath.

3. Super Satan- 50% Nitro, Bladder burst and fuel was able to get underneath at bladder opening and just lifted the dope right off taken the 2k clear with it. I now since, spray some in a cup and brush it inside the opening.

These are extreme cases as you see. I have a Combat Streak built 8 years ago that has no effects of fuel exposure. That plane has an LA 25 on it and runs on 10%. That plane has no sharp corners on that could cause a crack for the fuel to get under the clear,

All these planes are finished in a traditional method (Silk & Dope) and then just fuelproofed with the clear. I have had no issues with hot fuel whatsoever.

Hopefully, I covered it. if I can help in any other way.....
Looks great.. appreciate the info!!!!

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 09:17:04 AM »
Jamie,
  If you haven't read other threads on this stuff. You must wear a quality respirator(with proper cartridge) when spraying. As Howard refers to it as death paint. Spray it outside and you can bring it inside within an hour.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 09:25:18 AM »
Jamie,
  If you haven't read other threads on this stuff. You must wear a quality respirator(with proper cartridge) when spraying. As Howard refers to it as death paint. Spray it outside and you can bring it inside within an hour.

Tom
Yea I seen that....   hows the smell when dry? Does it linger like basic spraypaint?

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »
Question for Mr. Byles: Do you use Randolph thinner with your Sig clear top coat or Sig thinner? Or...?

Hi Dave,

I do use Randolph butyrate thinner for Sig butyrate dope.  Any of the butyrate thinners that I know of (Randolph, Certified, Sig) will work in butyrate dope of any brand.  I have found the only difference in butyrate thinners to be a variation in the speed of drying; Certified seems to be the fastest drying, Randolph a bit slower drying, Sig is the slowest drying.  I sometimes mix the thinners to achieve the drying time I need for the weather condition.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 09:45:48 AM »
Yea I seen that....   hows the smell when dry? Does it linger like basic spraypaint?

Smell is strong when sprayed. Pretty much gone an hour later.
AMA 13001

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 06:43:11 PM »
Jamie,

Tom

Tom, can you share details on what respirator you use?

Vince

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »
Hi Vince,
  I use a 3m mask with filters for organic compounds. Ill have to find what part number. It has been talked about quite a bit on here.
 A quick search brought up this thread.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/respirator-cartridges/msg258174/?topicseen#msg258174
Tom
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:16:58 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here