News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:20:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 'Kote on a Magician  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Steve Thornton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
'Kote on a Magician
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:02:01 PM »
I have searched for the appropriate thread for this but can't find anything so I'm posting here.  I am going to cover my Magician with film...Ultra or Monokote and have no idea how to approach covering the joint of the trailing edge to the fixed flaps.  When I tacked the film to the trailing edge of the flap or the trailing edge of the wing, the film raises off the wing's trailing edge and most of the flap when I shrink the open bays.  I thought about covering the flap separately and overlapping it about 1/4" with the wing covering...any good ideas would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks in advance,
Steve 
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: 'Kote on a Magician
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:54:42 AM »
Two pieces is the best way. Cover the flap first and run the covering about 1/4" onto the TE sheeting. Then cover the wing stopping the covering at the joint between the flap and TE. Poke a few holes in the 1/4" piece of covering and you will not have issues with bubbling on the overlap. The seem should hardly show, but if you're picky about that, you can hide it with some kind of trim pattern.

Paul

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »
I would just cover the bottom first with about an inch of wrap-around.  Then cover the top with the TE cut off flush.
Paul Smith

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 06:52:50 AM »
                    Steve, I just did a vintage combat wing. The older giant triangle style wings. The center section is very abrupt in terms of coming off of the sheeted area and onto the sheeted trailing edges. Ultracote stays down far superior without the void over the Monokote. I won't say that it was perfect, I will say it was the next closest thing.  It was like night and day. I personally wouldn't two piece it. It just makes a haven for dirt to collect revealing the seam and eventually or possibly a seam failure. You would even be surprised how much oil can wick into the pin holes as mentioned. For the look your trying to achieve and the durability, I would suggest Ultracote and I'm a dyed in the wool Monokote user.

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 12:39:59 AM »
                    Steve, I just did a vintage combat wing. The older giant triangle style wings. The center section is very abrupt in terms of coming off of the sheeted area and onto the sheeted trailing edges. Ultracote stays down far superior without the void over the Monokote. I won't say that it was perfect, I will say it was the next closest thing.  It was like night and day. I personally wouldn't two piece it. It just makes a haven for dirt to collect revealing the seam and eventually or possibly a seam failure. You would even be surprised how much oil can wick into the pin holes as mentioned. For the look your trying to achieve and the durability, I would suggest Ultracote and I'm a dyed in the wool Monokote user.
Thanks Ken, I have some U'cote and I have had some great results as well as some bad rolls that wouldn't stick to the balsa.  I am now thinking that I will just use some Polyspan.  I'll post the results.
Steve
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here