News:

• May 20, 2024, 02:22:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help with refinish  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Need help with refinish
« on: June 29, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »
What are some of the ways you paint a repair without it looking like a repair.
I don't want it to show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Need help with refinish
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 06:46:50 PM »
Photo of the other wing?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »
  This looks like your Force, isn't it? Too bad. Looks like you already patched in some new silk span. From this point, lightly sand the original paint job back just a bit until you just get through the top coats. Fill and dope the new covering to get it to about the same point it was when you pianted it the first time. Carefully and light sand the last couple of coats of clear to where it blends in with the original dope. I have used small sanding blocks and sanding pads for this in the past. Mask off the original trim, and spay on a coat of the base coat color and see how it looks. Feather sand and touch up the edges. Spay another coat and check again. You may find out that the original color has faded a bit already, and still may not match up completely. If you are happy at that point, take off the mask over the trim, remask the color and respray the trim color. Just try to avoid any hard lines. If you were just repairing a hole, sand back the paint from the edge of the hole about 3/4". Tear a patch of silk span the size you need and dope in place around the edges. When dry, shrink the patch with alcohol. WHen dry,m start the dope layers to build back up, feather sanding around the edges to match. When it's to your liking, repaint the base coat color and trim. Work carefully and you can get it hardly noticeable or even un-noticeable. Extra stickers and decals can mis-direct  attention.
   Good luck with it,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes it's the Force. Hope to have it ready by WKSI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here