News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Jewelry in an aerosol can. Krylon jewelry on the SKYFALL 007!  (Read 31724 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: "Jewelry in an aerosol can. Krylon jewelry on the SKYFALL 007!
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2014, 06:54:36 PM »
Repairs are what you have to consider when you are using incompatible paints. Can be a pain, as I'm again discovering with a plane I'm currently repairing.

RRC,

Steve makes a really good point about repairs.

Eventually repairs are and will be needed. I'll say.

Are you repairing a RRC paint job? Krylon?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2014, 09:23:33 PM »
I am trying a black hardware store O ring for a backplate gasket.  Looks like you have the old flat sided needle.  I never got those to work consistantly and went to Supre Tigre NVAs.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2014, 11:03:16 PM »
RRC,

Steve makes a really good point about repairs.

Eventually repairs are and will be needed. I'll say.

Are you repairing a RRC paint job? Krylon?

Charles

I believe Randy uses either clear butyrate dope with automotive pigments and 2-part clear coat or automotive paint throughout...I think the former, not the later. Many around here have tried automotive paint and gone back to butyrate dope with either clear dope or 2-part topcoat. The water based auto paint has been tried and found to be a disaster. I think it might work ok if you're ok with a monochromatic paint job, but not many want that. Obviously, not Charles...  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2014, 05:29:49 AM »
I am trying a black hardware store O ring for a backplate gasket.  Looks like you have the old flat sided needle.  I never got those to work consistantly and went to Supre Tigre NVAs.

Jim,

You running a Fox?

I got new backplate gaskets from Fox, .85 ea. They have a new NVA. 22.00. Not sure I want to give that a whirl.

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2014, 07:05:56 AM »
If you slide a piece of fuel tubing over the needle threads so it seals the needle seat the flat needle (and the new old-style needles) will become more consistent.  I have a super ringmaster that the old style needle barely passes the cowl.  Fuel tubing helped.  While I have a remote NVA and spray bar for this Fox35 I could not figure out how to mount it neatly in the super ringmaster, so I went back to the stock arrangement.

Phil

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2014, 10:02:03 AM »
Charles,

I've used all kinds of things. Some as Steve describes and others, too. The one I'm working on right now was done with nitrate base, butyrate colors (as Steve notes, auto toners mixed with Certified clear) and catalyzed polyurethane topcoat. Repair is a pain. You can't put butyrate over the urethane topcoat, so it has to be cut back. Gee, did I cut it back enough? You find out quickly.

But it's better than the plane I did with lacquer base, catalyzed primer, urethane colors and a catalyzed enamel clear topcoat. That one was unrepairable.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2014, 06:12:14 AM »
You are going to end up with a 28+ ounce Flightstreak. Most of them that were used in combat weighted 18-22 ounces.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2014, 08:24:44 AM »
Well, I was hoping to have the Skyfall 007 completed by now, and flown!

The hold up is I'm waiting on a 4 oz tank from RSM, the snub nose tank which is 3" long, model# GRW400U, $11 bucks, for those interested who may have a FS. This tank was ecommended by Dennis.

I already drilled four holes in the nose for the tank I will no longer be using, so my guess is, I'll have four holes to plug and four more to make.

There will be touch up paint for those plugs. I'll try to be neat.

I also have a couple of back plate gaskets comming from Fox.

All this will fall into place and the model will get completed and flown.

Hopefully one day, News at 11:00.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2014, 10:55:21 PM »
Well, I was hoping to have the Skyfall 007 completed by now, and flown!.....

....All this will fall into place and the model will get completed and flown.

Hopefully one day, News at 11:00.
Please get us a video documentary if possible Charles. I'd love to see it fly. You know modern cell phones take beautiful flight vids if you back up enough to get all of the air and with the pilot's feet at bottom center. Then hold the camera still while the plane flies.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2014, 05:25:54 PM »
Charles,

I've used all kinds of things. Some as Steve describes and others, too. The one I'm working on right now was done with nitrate base, butyrate colors (as Steve notes, auto toners mixed with Certified clear) and catalyzed polyurethane topcoat. Repair is a pain. You can't put butyrate over the urethane topcoat, so it has to be cut back. Gee, did I cut it back enough? You find out quickly.
(snip)

Hi Randy,

I have only used 2 polyurethane top coats: DuPont Chromaclear and NAPA "Econo Coat", both were 4-1.  I have had no problems doing a butyrate repair over those........... ???

Bill

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2014, 01:12:17 AM »
Alright Charles, What's the deal on all of your builds? MIG 3, SKYFALL, NEW AMERICAN? I have seen some great pics of these models and some beautiful detailing and paint, but have yet to see a finished flying airplane. What do you fly? Surely you have a beat up Ringmaster or Magician that you are flying  regularly. I would love to see a pic of you at the field having fun in the circle. Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2014, 07:41:35 AM »
Alright Charles, What's the deal on all of your builds? MIG 3, SKYFALL, NEW AMERICAN? I have seen some great pics of these models and some beautiful detailing and paint, but have yet to see a finished flying airplane. What do you fly? Surely you have a beat up Ringmaster or Magician that you are flying  regularly. I would love to see a pic of you at the field having fun in the circle. Mike

Mike,

That may be difficult to do, Avaiojet is actually a phantom modeler created by someone else. Possibly someone you know well?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:04:36 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2014, 08:11:13 AM »
Charles,

WOW! I really like those cabinets! You are a very smart man keeping "the wife" happy!  LL~ LL~ LL~

I've been married 44 years and am just now finding that out..........can you say "slow learner"?  Well not really but it seems that way LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2014, 04:37:36 PM »
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!

You always have to consider the Ladies.  H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here