News:

• April 28, 2024, 11:17:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beginners pattern question  (Read 1318 times)

Offline John Castle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • The Bent Pin
Beginners pattern question
« on: March 01, 2010, 09:10:30 PM »
Ok, time to get a little more serious and start flying with a purpose. It seems that the beginners pattern is made up of eight different elements that have to be flown in the proper order(??) I guess my initial question is does it matter how many laps you fly between the maneuvers or is it just a matter of setting up and getting in position for the next maneuver. 

Thanks,
John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Beginners pattern question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:00:25 PM »
Most definitely YES!  The takeoff is one lap, judged level flight is two more, then two laps for the Judges to write your score, before you start the Wingover (most folks do 6 laps before the WO). Two more laps before the inside loops, for the Judges to write, then you do the loops. And so it goes, two laps between maneuvers for the Judges to write scores. You will have time to check the wind direction, and get your next trick in mind. Counting laps will come, eventually. If YOU need an extra lap, that doesn't downgrade your score (it says here), but you do need to worry about running short of fuel. The Beginner pattern can probably be finished in 3.5 to 4 minutes, and you have 8 to git 'er done. If it was easy, everybody would do it, but it isn't!  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:11:54 PM »
John, if you are little queasy, uneasy or downright petrified of inverted flight as i was you can enter the outside loops from the top side with no penalty!   %^@
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline John Castle

• Commander
  • The Bent Pin
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:24:57 PM »
Most definitely YES!  The takeoff is one lap, judged level flight is two more, then two laps for the Judges to write your score, before you start the Wingover (most folks do 6 laps before the WO).

So it sounds like a minimum of two but you can do more if you need to. I assume that you are not judged on the laps you do between stunts.
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 08:51:21 PM »
So it sounds like a minimum of two but you can do more if you need to. I assume that you are not judged on the laps you do between stunts.

Correctamundo!  Regarding the outside loops...yes, you can do either entry. Most folks enter from inverted flight. I'm not sure if you're then required to pull out inverted or not. I think you don't, but in OTS, you do, fer sure. The AMA rulebook is easily availabobble (sic) online...  y1 Steve

http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/compreg.aspx
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 01:11:28 AM »
In the past couple years I have been going down that same path- after 35 years of sport flying / random " tricks".  Decided to put some structure to my flying and go through the sequence from basic Flight to Full pattern.

I thought I would blow through " Basic Flight" in an afternoon and move right to beginner pattern. Guess what- real level flight and other basic stuff is a lot harder to do well than I ever imagined. But working on those basic elements helped program me to fly / try / evaluate / try again, and see positive results.

I can now do the full beginner pattern most days, sometimes 2 full sets on one tank if the planets align and the engine run is solid from launch through the end. Other days things don't work /feel right, and I can't get in the groove - it happens.

I went through 3-4 planes in 16 months - but I was kind of agressive and pushed hard to get past some problem spots. There were more than a few days when I could have quit flying and relaxed to  review the day, but I had this  " The plane is still flyable- lets keep going" mindset that cost me a few late night rebuild sessions, but it was well worth it.

Keep going - we are all here to help ya!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 05:16:54 AM »
 Fly big and smooth to start. Try you best to stay calm at all times, the really bad mistakes come when you get get excited and quit thinking. Fly as many laps as you need between maneuvers, as long as you have enough fuel. Judges are use to seeing extra laps in beginner and intermediate.

Derek

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 05:58:41 AM »
John, as Bill has stated learn the basics and get them down pat.   When I get someone soloed, I tell them, the hardest part is learning to take off, fly level and land.  Of course they look at me funny when I say that.  Me I am still learning to take off and land.   The stunts are easy even tho would argue the point.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 09:05:08 AM »
One really nice benefit from flying the pattern (and practising the pattern) is that you know when you're done with all the tricks, your fuel tank will soon be empty, and you'll have less trouble with engine stoppage during maneuvers putting your model in jeopardy.  #^ Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here