News:

• June 09, 2024, 07:08:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RIP Clayton Smith  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Wayne Foster

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
RIP Clayton Smith
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:23:22 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am very sad to inform you that my very good friend and flying buddy, Clayton Smith, passed away Sunday night from an extended illness with cancer.

Clayton was a long time competitor in Combat, Stunt and Racing and the designer of the TEOSAWKI. 

He will certainly be missed by a lot of us.  A Memorial Service will be held in the future, but plans are incomplete at this time.

Wayne Foster
Tom Luper
Wayne Foster
    AMA 959

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: RIP Clayton Smith
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:20:06 PM »
Clayton always took time to help me with my combat ships and give me tips even though i was a beginner! I loved to watch him fly, he was a great competitor and a fine gentleman !!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
His design didn't in fact end stunt as we know it, y1 but it was a really cool design nonetheless.  I'm sorry to hear about his passing, and he will be missed.

Steve

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 05:04:30 PM »
Clayton Smith

HIGH POINT — Mr. Clayton Smith of High Point passed away in The Hospice Home on Sunday, February 28, 2010 with his family at his side.

Mr. Smith was a native of Milwaukee, Wis. and was a graduate of the University of Wisconsin. He was a Vice President of The Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad ("The Milwaukee Road"), a transcontinental railroad. After its sale to The Soo Line in 1986, he moved his family from Wheaton, Ill. to High Point where he continued working in transportation management with Golden State Foods, ConAgra and LaZBoy.

He leaves his loving wife Joanne, beloved son Leland and daughter-in-law Rachel to mourn his loss, along with his great friends John Kennedy, Tom Luper and Wayne Foster.

Before his move south, he had raced late model stock cars on Midwestern dirt tracks. Throughout his life he competed locally and nationally in many divisions of control line model airplane contests. He was the designer and builder of the popular TEOSAWKI stunt planes.

Visitation and memorial service arrangements are not yet finalized. Please contact Sechrest Funeral Service in High Point for details.

I will miss him

Will
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:13:09 PM by William Davis »
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:21:31 PM »
My TEOSAWKI at brodak's this year
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:34:11 PM »
Oh, man, this really takes me by surprise............. I will certainly miss Clayton.  He was always one that I could run ideas by and he was a good friend.

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 05:41:59 AM »
Another sad week.  I do not remember meeting him, but did read in the past about things he had done.  My thoughts to his family and friends. :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John E Rakes

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 05:56:12 AM »
One day I took a two and a half hour ride to Hobby Park. A place I had never heard of in some what of a desperation chance to meet some people who flew controlline. Clayton Smith, Tommy Luper and Kent Tysor where there and let me join in. Clayton was actually the first person I saw who could actually fly the things and then Kent and Tommy also amazed me for a couple hours. I remember (vaguely?) Clayton saying you drove 2-3 hours just to watch this! He is and always will be rememberd by everyone.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 11:38:36 AM »
I emailed Clayton about TEOSAWKI and ended sending lots of emails about Milwaukee and the like.  He was a great guy and always helpful. 

Dave Siegler
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 06:03:45 PM »
My TEOSAWKI at brodak's this year

Below is a pic from Brodak 2006. That is Will (back row left), Jim Catavenus, Dave Courtney
Front Row: Unknown , Tommy Luper

Clayton's design of the TEOSAWKI was certainly a breakthrough in profile stunt design.

Larry Fulwider

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 05:33:13 AM »
Dave's son name is Alex. And a good stunt flyer and young
ALAN E BUCK

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here