News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:19:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SIG Skyray XL  (Read 551 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
SIG Skyray XL
« on: August 17, 2023, 09:20:12 AM »
I've acquired a SIG Skyray XL kit.  Laser-cut, designed by Bob Nelson, 54" wingspan with 560 square inches of wing.  But I've never seen this kit advertised.

Does anyone here know the model's history?  TIA!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: SIG Skyray XL
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 09:28:04 AM »
  It was a design Bob was working on as SIG was getting near to closing. I flew his prototype at a fun fly in Montezuma a few years ago. He produced a few kits and I was able to buy one. The model I flew pretty well with a Norvel.40 in the nose I think. Definitely not a production item. Bob was the last of the modelers working for SIG at that time.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 09:53:56 AM »
I was given one to build and review.  Honestly it was so ugly I couldn't bring myself to build it...eventually I gave the kit it to someone...don't remember who now.  It might have flown well but my impulse would have been to shape it into something else.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 02:35:04 PM »
I flew the prototype with Dan at that Fun Fly.
It flew in a competent fashion for what it is, just not too exciting. 
And I agree with Dave, it is ....    Homely....
I also have the kit, trying to figure out how to make it look better!!
Jim

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 02:59:52 PM »
So,ya'll are saying it is uglier than a Ringmaster??? LL~

I'll answer that, Ty - much uglier!  How dare you insult a 1952 Legend!?!  Anything almost as old as me has gotta be a beauty!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 04:30:01 PM »
Hi Guys
The Skyray XL that I designed was not that large at all, so it was a just a blown up of the Stock Skyray 35.  Like has been, suggested it was not a cool looking model (butt ugly). 

On the one I designed I added new rudder & fin, canopy, and fixed flaps to make it look more like a Primary Force and Force.  I built mine with landing gear coming out of the wings which looked much better.  It flew pretty good and was powered by a OS 40 FP which was about right with a 10” X 4 three blade. 

Honestly, I still think the Primary Force & Force were a better Flyers than the Skyray XL, so I did not continue with working on it, however, I may revisit that model with electric power just for fun.  If there was more interest in it I might draw up a set of plans and make a few more changes to it.

Later,
Mike Pratt

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 08:47:02 PM »
So,ya'll are saying it is uglier than a Ringmaster??? LL~

The Ringmaster is a proper looking C/L model, and possibly the most iconic of all.  :)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here