News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:27:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wynn Paul's Stunt History Book  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Wynn Paul's Stunt History Book
« on: March 20, 2021, 08:46:13 PM »
Does anyone know if this book was ever published?  Last I went back and forth with Wynn, he said it was almost ready.  That was 2 or 3 years ago.  I sent him an email tonight but haven't heard back.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: Wynn Paul's Stunt History Book
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 09:00:01 AM »
 I would think that the market is so small that no publisher would take it. That would require someone to self publish to a small market with the idea of never making any money on it. One or two thousand is not a market. Many have given input gladly when asked but it will never see the light of day. Maybe i am wrong but the group who were interested init are getting smaller.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 03:52:44 PM »
I would think that the market is so small that no publisher would take it. That would require someone to self publish to a small market with the idea of never making any money on it. One or two thousand is not a market. Many have given input gladly when asked but it will never see the light of day. Maybe i am wrong but the group who were interested init are getting smaller.
Ed
I hate to tell you this, but Ed is more than accurate at this time because the publishing market has fallen off the edge.  I'm sure some could tell you the reasons, but my own publisher shared with me just what I typed in the first sentence.
When I asked him if he wanted my autobiography, he told me he had to go to being a vanity press.  In other words, ya want it published, pay me to do it.  His company had published my first four novels as regular, so I knew he was accurate with his reasons.
In my own place, I had enough people urging me to publish that I went ahead with it.  (He gave me half price because of our relationship.)
So, I can tell you first hand that Wynn would have to put down a very pretty penny to put it out.  That's too bad, because he brought the beginnings to a Cleveland contest several years ago and ooooooooooooboy, what a book it would be!! S?P
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 04:36:14 PM »
   There is the option f print as you go. Order a book and it's printed on order. That has been around since the internet started taking things over. Another option is to scan it all and put it on a DVD as it is ordered. Never say never!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 05:37:14 PM »
Has anyone heard from Wynn Paul lately?

Is his health holding up?
De Hill

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 07:25:35 PM »
De he came to the Nats last year for a day to watch Kenny Stevens fly (he's Kenny's coach)  I talked to him a bit.  He seemed to be doing pretty well then but a little fragile with age.  I asked about the book but now can't honestly remember precisely his answer.  I'm thinking he was looking at the publisher issue being talked about above.  It was going to cost a good sum up front.  He wanted to be able to recover his costs and time investment but ...not sure.   I'd be quite happy to put it up on the PAMPA website but that doesn't do much directly for Wynn.  At the time I thought to wait and see what he did before I offered.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 07:31:48 AM »
The "print as you go" option, officially known as POD, or Print On Demand, still costs plenty to do because of the cover prep, isbn cost, and general organization by the publisher chosen.  Depending, of course, on the size of the book, the costs for those will run easily in the two thousand range with most publishers.  Doing POD still requires someone who will do those tasks, including the copyrights.  So, it ain't cheap.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 07:51:48 AM »
If the book is ready it would be a shame to lose this information. Could he publish to the PAMPA site with access fee open to all for download? Maybe a link from the books section here on SH or even an access key could allow download from here also. Just a thought, we have to have some web person that can set this up.

Best,   DennisT

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 08:12:02 AM »
If the book is ready it would be a shame to lose this information. Could he publish to the PAMPA site with access fee open to all for download? Maybe a link from the books section here on SH or even an access key could allow download from here also. Just a thought, we have to have some web person that can set this up.

Best,   DennisT
We could surely put the book on the PAMPA website but there isn't any way I'm aware of to handle the collection of a separate fee and then payment followthrough from what we have.  Before anyone gets too far down the road with ideas,  we need to find out what Wynn's thoughts and plans are.  I'll see if I have contact info for him and inquire.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 08:16:00 AM »
I speak with Wynn quite often; he's fine and doing well health wise. He's now getting back into flying after a long layoff due to some very tragic family issues that I will not go into here.

Wynn has been working on his book for many, many years, and he did indeed finally finish it. It is now in the hands of the publisher who took a personal interest in it and is working to ensure that it is perfect in every way before going to press. And, yes, as someone here mentioned, there is now a thing called "print on demand" that allows any printed matter to be produced virtually instantly as orders are received. I'm certain that Wynn is not taking that route with his book; at least for the first print run.

There will actually be two coffee table-sized books in the set, and the price will be in the $150.00 to $175.00 range for the set. I've pre-ordered two sets from Wynn. Yes, the market for this landmark chronicle is rapidly diminishing as we age out as a group. Still for those of us left in the trenches Wynn's book set will become our legacy for those in future years to look at and hopefully understand the passion that we had for this amazing hobby/sport. For that reason alone I'm asking that any of you who have the financial ability to afford Wynn's set of books to order them as soon as the announcement is made that they are available. I believe we owe it to Wynn for his years of research and dedication, and we owe it to ourselves to leave evidence of our beloved sport to our future families so that they can better understand just who we were and what we did and why.

When Wynn's book set is available for sale, I will post the information here on how to order.

Bob Hunt   

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 09:09:28 AM »
   I'm in. I have emailed with Wynn during his research and provided some content for him which I hope was useful. The book should be very comprehensive on the history of the event and I can't wait to see it!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »
I hope Mr. Paul has approached publishers with the option of printing a lo-cost version; that is one without expensive cover, too many color plates, chrome paper, etc.

If a publisher was not confronted with outrageous production costs, it might seem more agreeable.

My only "book-length" work was published by the US Government, so I had no problems dealing with "for-profit" publishers!
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 03:44:33 PM »
To Wynn Paul,

Dear Wynn,

I hope you are doing well, and staying safe during this pandemic.

I have been patiently waiting, with excitement, for your Stunt History Books to become available.

But what ever you are doing, PLEASE HURRY....I'M NOT GETTING ANY YOUNGER !!!!!

Fortunately, I've managed to make it half way through my 8th decade, but my understanding is that
there are not too many more decades left for me.  I'm not too sure about the book availability
in Heaven, and I don't want to chance it !!!

My charge card is waiting.

Cheers,

Warren Wagner
Bradenton, fl
AMA 1385

Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 05:18:56 PM »
Why not publish an on-line version? I'd love to have a hard copy version but at the stated price there may not be enough takers. I don't have a coffee table either.  ;D
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 10:24:32 PM »
I speak with Wynn quite often; he's fine and doing well health wise. He's now getting back into flying after a long layoff due to some very tragic family issues that I will not go into here.

Wynn has been working on his book for many, many years, and he did indeed finally finish it. It is now in the hands of the publisher who took a personal interest in it and is working to ensure that it is perfect in every way before going to press. And, yes, as someone here mentioned, there is now a thing called "print on demand" that allows any printed matter to be produced virtually instantly as orders are received. I'm certain that Wynn is not taking that route with his book; at least for the first print run.

There will actually be two coffee table-sized books in the set, and the price will be in the $150.00 to $175.00 range for the set. I've pre-ordered two sets from Wynn. Yes, the market for this landmark chronicle is rapidly diminishing as we age out as a group. Still for those of us left in the trenches Wynn's book set will become our legacy for those in future years to look at and hopefully understand the passion that we had for this amazing hobby/sport. For that reason alone I'm asking that any of you who have the financial ability to afford Wynn's set of books to order them as soon as the announcement is made that they are available. I believe we owe it to Wynn for his years of research and dedication, and we owe it to ourselves to leave evidence of our beloved sport to our future families so that they can better understand just who we were and what we did and why.

When Wynn's book set is available for sale, I will post the information here on how to order.

Bob Hunt

You advise, I’m in.
G
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 12:04:51 PM »
Thanks for the info Bob. As soon as it is ready to order, I will do so!
I like the idea of a slick, coffee table book. I will display it proudly.
As many years and as much time as I have put into this hobby/sport
I am certainly willing to pay for a quality product.

Steve

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 04:36:48 PM »
I’m also in for a set.

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 05:39:45 PM »
I too am in for the "Stunt History" book.

Roger Greene
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2021, 12:09:42 AM »
I'm very happy to hear that he actually has a conscientious publisher. If I can afford it in the not too distant future, I will order too.

One other thing though. You do not need a publisher, if high quality bound volumes aren't required. I self-published a scholarly aviation book of around 350 pages and sold to several hundred people world-wide, some of international reputation, a couple decades ago. You can laser print a pretty good representation to a high standard of sophisticated formatting and quality just using Microsoft Word. There is also the possibility of selling as a flash drive or CD's for recipients to print out their own copies or just view on their own computers. Anything worthy of preservation and distribution can be done this way. It won't be a "coffee table" book, but it will get to those who need it. People were satisfied enough with the quality of what they purchased from me that some are still nagging me for a seventh edition after all these years. It just depends on the worth of your research or skills. You can probably afford to produce a book this way; so don't hesitate to follow your heart. Who knows, your pet project may even become a cult classic.

Whatever it takes, Wynn should get his book out, and that includes the copies to the Library of Congress from copyrighting. This ensures preservation of this worthwhile contribution to the history of aviation - model aviation in this case. 'so glad he has gotten his epic project to print!

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Online Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 07:57:31 AM »
I would love to purchase the coffee table set of books or even some other form of the book. Please let me know when it is available and I will send funds.

Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 01:37:44 PM »
Just got an email from Wynn and he said the book is in the hands of the publisher and she is reading every word and checking every picture.  He hopes to have it out by the end of the year.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Luis Strufaldi

• Ensign
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 08:57:06 AM »
Any news about the book?
Luis Strufa

--------------------
After 30 years in this hobby, I think I'm finally moving up to "Beginners class"!

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2022, 09:28:14 AM »
Yes, what is the story on Wynn Paul’s Stunt History Book?
Tom McClain

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2022, 10:07:01 AM »
Wynn is very hopeful that the books (there will be two coffee table-sized books...) will be published and available in April.

Please be patient with Wynn; he's worked on these books for the better part of his life and they will be worth the wait.

Wynn has experienced a lot of very tragic personal issues over the past few years, but he's still focused on getting the books done.

Later - Bob Hunt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here