News:

• April 24, 2024, 09:57:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wrist pin pads  (Read 834 times)

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
Wrist pin pads
« on: June 15, 2022, 06:12:14 AM »
Lost one of the wrist pin pads from a Merco 40, please what material can I use to make another one.
Thanks y1
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 05:31:05 AM by Dwayne Donnelly »
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Online Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Wrist pin pads
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 06:20:09 AM »
Hi.

PTFE (teflon) is ok.

Massimo

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 08:04:45 PM »
Some K&B engines used Teflon wristpin pads, but IMO, they didn't last terribly long, so keep that in mind and make more than you think you'll ever need. A lot of older engines used brass pads, of course, but I would opt for plastic. There is a graphite impregnated version of Delrin that would be my choice...but I don't remember the name of it. I machined bushings from it, about 40 years ago, and it was nice to machine (Hardinge chucker) and quite slick.

By "graphite", I mean the lubricant type graphite, and not the carbon fiber type graphite. I wish folks wouldn't use the term "graphite" interchangeably with "carbon fiber". Fishing rod makers are the WORST on this.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 12:11:49 PM »
Thanks guys, I forgot I had a couple of old 4 strokes that use them, I was able to reshape one to fit.  ;D
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here