News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: World Famous Fox .15 Hurl  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
World Famous Fox .15 Hurl
« on: September 17, 2017, 07:48:30 PM »
Dave won

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: World Famous Fox .15 Hurl
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 07:59:43 PM »
Dave won

I am glad you could bring yourself to say it, my fingers locked up trying to type that.

Brett

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 08:19:18 PM »
I have to say, I was more embarrassed today than I was at the 2000 NATs

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 08:28:34 PM »
And here are the results of the Meet 'n Meat 19 contest that we run as an excuse to Hurl Fox 15's and eat Larry's world renowned chili.  To quote John Wright:  "Eat some of Larry's chili and HURL!".  ...and let us not ignore the final standings in Expert and some pretty impressive numbers in Intermediate and Advanced.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:53:50 PM by Uncle Jimby »

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 08:39:42 PM »
Dave won

It was very good to see Dave Fitzgerald finally win and deservedly so. .

Hopefully the innuendo about the legitimacy of his win will now cease.

The model airplane contest that strangely accompanies the Hurl was also surprisingly good.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 11:07:50 PM »
And here are the results of the Meet 'n Meat 19 contest that we run as an excuse to Hurl Fox 15's and eat Larry's world renowned chili.  To quote John Wright:  "Eat some of Larry's chili and HURL!".  ...and let us not ignore the final standings in Expert and some pretty impressive numbers in Intermediate and Advanced.

To fill in a few of the ? - I think Ted's Shoestring uses a 25FP. Fred Staley's Imitation uses a 40VF.

All the VFs in use this weekend brought a tear of nostalgia to my eye...

There was a bizarre outbreak of people doing too few (10 and no pattern points) or too many (score and no pattern points) repetitive maneuvers. It's very rare for anything other than inverted flight, but at least two different people did it in other maneuvers today. If it was a few weeks ago at Ted Goyet, you could have maybe attributed it to unlivable hot weather, but today I saw about 88 degrees as a high, and it was generally very pleasant after the last few weekends of 100+ and even an afternoon-heating type thunderstorm with moderately impressive lightning on Monday.

Brett

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 11:24:46 PM »
   To fill in a few of the ? - I think Ted's Shoestring uses a 25FP. Fred Staley's Imitation uses a 40VF.

All the VFs in use this weekend brought a tear of nostalgia to my eye...

There was a bizarre outbreak of people doing too few (10 and no pattern points) or too many (score and no pattern points) repetitive maneuvers. It's very rare for anything other than inverted flight, but at least two different people did it in other maneuvers today. If it was a few weeks ago at Ted Goyet, you could have maybe attributed it to unlivable hot weather, but today I saw about 88 degrees as a high, and it was generally very pleasant after the last few weekends of 100+ and even an afternoon-heating type thunderstorm with moderately impressive lightning on Monday.

Brett

And on Saturday there were a bevy of Old Time flights that were not counted due to a lack of hand signal or various other reasons.  Hmmmm...maybe we are devolving.

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 05:24:51 AM »
In Az, we have eliminated the problem of the OTS “forgotten hand signal” by adopting an analogy to AMA stunt rules.   

The initiation of the climb and dive (first maneuver after takeoff) makes the flight official.  If I recall correctly, the flight becomes official once the plane performs the first inside and outside turns of the climb.  This is analogous to the inverted pull out in the wingover in AMA stunt and has worked nicely for several years.

A nice time saver for all.

Jim Hoffman
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:22:37 PM by Jim Hoffman »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
I wonder if the old time signal was discussed in pilots meeting?   I still practice it once in a while even though I don't think its in the rules any more D>K.  Will have to go check rules again. H^^  And Teddy Boy flying a CG Shoestring???? ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 12:58:59 PM »
It appears that Dave threw his arm out and couldn't fly properly and finished second!

Good job Brett!

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 02:05:52 PM »
It was very good to see Dave Fitzgerald finally win and deservedly so. .

Bite your tongue
Nobody wanted to see Dave win

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 03:39:28 PM »
It appears that Dave threw his arm out and couldn't fly properly and finished second!

Good job Brett!

He flew properly enough to get 601 points, but not quite properly to get 602.5. I also got a bit of a break on the air, it only went from 0 to 3 mph and only shifted 120 degrees during my flight, his went from 0 to 0.2 in undefined directions. I think as long as we are both over 600, I am undefeated, which is a lot better than my record when getting a 596.5, which has proven to be a loser on at least 4 separate occasions, always by half a point.

I am still working on my new "dead-air" setup which so far looks very promising as long as the air is dead. I haven't had a chance to test it in a stiff breeze.

My Hurl throws were competent but very unimpressive, and if anyone was going to throw their arm out, it was going to be me. But as it turned out, not only was my shoulder OK, I wasn't even sore this morning, other than where the ball hit my watchband during warm-ups and left a bruise.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here