News:

• May 10, 2024, 01:58:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cardinal Evolution 40  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cardinal Evolution 40
« on: December 12, 2022, 01:21:14 PM »
Does anyone have a photo of a Cardinal Evolution 40 they can post?

Thank you
Mike

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Cardinal Evolution 40
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 02:23:25 PM »
One of the prototypes

The plans can be got here

https://windyurtnowski.com

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 02:40:34 PM by BYU »

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 04:27:24 PM »
I have been working on one. Used wing and tail feathers from an ARC profile kit.
Built up a traditional fuselage using same moments.
Needed to modify position of the bellcrank mounting so that pushrod would be on wing C/L
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 05:45:09 PM »
I have been working on one. Used wing and tail feathers from an ARC profile kit.
Built up a traditional fuselage using same moments.
Needed to modify position of the bellcrank mounting so that pushrod would be on wing C/L

The wing from the brodak profile kit and ARC / ARF are different from the evolution.
The original cardinal evolution used the wing airfoil from Windy’s full size cardinal. The kit and ARF had a different airfoil drawn by the Brodak designer.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 06:21:40 PM by BYU »

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 08:17:33 PM »
Thankyou Elliot,
One of the great things about this hobby are all these little details that would otherwise go un noticed. Out of curiosity, how much different are the two airfoils?
I guess we will never know why the Brodak people changed the airfoil. Perhaps when laying out the individual ribs, they could be more closely nested to conserve wood?
Except for airfoil are there any other differences?
Lyle
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 08:31:44 PM »
One of the great things about this hobby are all these little details that would otherwise go un noticed. Out of curiosity, how much different are the two airfoils?
I guess we will never know why the Brodak people changed the airfoil. Perhaps when laying out the individual ribs, they could be more closely nested to conserve wood?
Except for airfoil are there any other differences?
Lyle

The moments are possibly different, the tailplane / stab and Elevators are not the same either. When kit makers design, it is to maximize sheet useage (as you rightfully point out). Which is why tailplanes often magically reduce in size from the original design.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 08:47:03 PM »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 09:03:26 PM »
Reminisent of this , or visa versa .

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/windy's-cardinal/msg350649/#msg350649

The Griffon was much smaller, and had a thinner airfoil. It was pretty light, and looked beautiful. I never saw it fly.

Chris...   

:-\

Thinking about these ( We got the Greenaway bee in the bonnet again ) , I think it would be CONCURRENT . griffon / Evo 40 . v Similar ( look at the tail plane )
refering to Jose's ' Down Sizing - Thinner airfoil ' remarks , as developing planes to take on Fancher and the West Coast Mob . .
The Cardinal Evolution 40 being a comercial offshoot of the Griffon / ( which seems related to the Red Baron . )

Anybody know the chronology , dates , order of development ? ( NOW ive got a Red Baronised sketch of a ' small ' patternmaster / Cardinal - in front off me ! )

Er, use Ea second discarded Root rib to get some inner / center section - taper - and throw a few bits gere & there. with a Big spinner .  :(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 09:37:09 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 01:40:12 AM »
Interesting just had a look at the plans I have here for the Cardinal EVO,I cannot remember where
these came from, but not one of the rib patterns match the wing plan, rib lengths are all over the place.
Bootleg copy?

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 09:22:14 AM »
I cannot remember where these came from, Bootleg copy?

You are complaining about the quality of some stolen plans?

If it has a red signature, your name and and number written in red, you have a legitimate copy. There are only 2 legitimate sellers of the plans - Windy and the designer, is that who you bought them from?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:53:27 AM by BYU »

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2022, 09:25:46 AM »
I'm not positive but I believe Elliot Scott had something to do with the design/plans.
You might contact him.

Bob Z.

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 12:24:49 PM »
You are complaining about the quality of some stolen plans?

If it has a red signature, your name and and number written in red, you have a legitimate copy. There are only 2 legitimate sellers of the plans - Windy and the designer, is that who you bought them from?

Not complaining, just pointing out the issue in case someone has the same plan and tries to build from them.
Sorry I replied.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 01:23:26 PM »
I'm not positive but I believe Elliot Scott had something to do with the design/plans.
You might contact him.

Bob Z.

Yes, he did Bob.

Mike

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2022, 01:28:36 PM »
As I recall, my friend Reuben asked Winfred about a 40 sized Cardinal.
Windy said "sure" and said to order the Brodak Cardinal wing kit and leave of 2 bays (or maybe 4?). He sketched a side view (almost to scale), drew the "numbers"....(nose and tail) and told Reuben to make the tail half teh wing span....sent him off.

a couple weeks later Reuben had a pained plane wth an FP 40 in it. Windy flew it and liked it, made a few minor changes and let Elliot know...

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2022, 05:01:47 PM »
I have one in primer and one it kit form. Both from Tom Morris.  Tom was building two for some of his customers, I saw them and asked for two. One month later I had two kits. D>K
if Tom or Mike are kitting the Evolution, I don’t think you could buy better. Both of them care about the end product being right.

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2022, 08:13:37 PM »
As I recall, my friend Reuben asked Winfred about a 40 sized Cardinal.
Windy said "sure" and said to order the Brodak Cardinal wing kit and leave of 2 bays (or maybe 4?). He sketched a side view (almost to scale), drew the "numbers"....(nose and tail) and told Reuben to make the tail half teh wing span....sent him off.

a couple weeks later Reuben had a pained plane wth an FP 40 in it. Windy flew it and liked it, made a few minor changes and let Elliot know...

If you took 4 bays out of a 54 inch wingspan plane (the Brodak Cardinal) you wouldn’t have a 40 size Cardinal, you would have a 44-45 inch wingspan 25 size model. The Cardinal Evolution is based on the full size Cardinal wing not the Brodak kit (which didn’t exist at the time of the Evolution design).

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 07:31:56 AM by BYU »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 10:27:41 PM »

The 92'd have to be a Evolution of the 89 ! The widdle 40s got 92 wibs , anyWay . Moit .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here