News:

• June 26, 2024, 05:20:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wing Tip Weight  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Tom Strom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Wing Tip Weight
« on: March 11, 2012, 02:22:03 PM »
I am sure this has been covered somewhere before, but I can't find it.  I just finished a kit built Brodak Pathfinder.  I moved in December and lost my instruction book.  How much tip weight should I put in for initial test flights?  How do you know if you have too much or not enough?  Airplane weighs 48 oz. with LA .46 for power.  Also, where should it balance?  Line length?  It balances just behind the bottom spar, in the landing gear block area.  I made a set of lines that are 61', eye to eye.  I am not new to control line, just new to trying to make them fly proper, and present a decent flight pattern.  Any and all help is appreciated.

Tom

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wing Tip Weight
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 06:18:33 PM »
Call Brodak and they will be happy to furnish you with another instruction book.  There might be a slight charge, but I'm betting there won't be.  The CG should be on the plans.

If you don't have any luck getting a new book, send me a PM and I will photocopy mine and send it to you.  My kit isn't assembled yet and is buried under other kits in my workshop.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Jack Mulinix

• Commander
  • AMA 917877
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »
 Hello Tom, I have a brodak pathfinder I finished last year. Flies great. LA 46, 12 1/4 x 3.75 apc, 1 1/2 oz tip weight, leadouts 3/4in back from CG, 60 ft eye to eye lines. weights 49 oz rtf.CG is at the spar. Hope that helps. Jack

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:57:09 PM »
Tom,
   Here is the information that will help you trim about any model.  http://www.aeromaniacs.com/Benchtrim.htm
Pete Peterson was involved with this designs development.  He says CG belong "just behind" the spar.  Tip weight should be enough to tip it over when balanced on the vertical fin and nose.  1 1/2 oz. sound like quite a lot but a little extra won't hurt to start.  I've seen you fly, and you are no beginner so tape the hinge lines and make sure the CG is correct.  12.25 x 3.75 APC is the correct prop.  We use that set up around these parts a lot.  10/22 Powermaster or 10/18 Wildcat fuel is the best.  The Wildcat is available in Tacoma and works best for me.  Drop by some time and go flying with me and Pete, we go to Auburn Airport a lot. 

Mike

Online Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »
If the outboard wing is up when flying right side up and inverted there is not enough tip weight. If it flies down both ways or drops the tip when doing corners you have too much.

Leadouts will have to be adjusted when playing with tip weight. As you add tip weight you will have to move the leadouts forward and as you take weight away you will need to move them back. This is assuming that you are in the ballpark to begin with.

Derek

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »
If the outboard wing is up when flying right side up and inverted there is not enough tip weight. If it flies down both ways or drops the tip when doing corners you have too much

Derek

I always try to get that condition before adjusting tip weight by checking for warps or necessary flap tweaks.  How many times have you seen models that are badly out of trim everywhere else because the pilot (usually inexperienced) tries to accomplish level flight by adjusting tip weight.  Hinging, roll and yaw are of course results of wrong tip weight one way or the other but *my* goal is always to get the same condition upright and inverted, without that you have nothing IMO.  Also, gap sealing is important to achieve equal rates of turn, again nothing gained otherwise.  Reference PW's trim chart.
Mike

Online Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:58:58 PM »
I always try to get that condition before adjusting tip weight by checking for warps or necessary flap tweaks.  How many times have you seen models that are badly out of trim everywhere else because the pilot (usually inexperienced) tries to accomplish level flight by adjusting tip weight.  Hinging, roll and yaw are of course results of wrong tip weight one way or the other but *my* goal is always to get the same condition upright and inverted, without that you have nothing IMO.  Also, gap sealing is important to achieve equal rates of turn, again nothing gained otherwise.  Reference PW's trim chart.

Very true but generally if the flaps need to be tweaked the wing will fly up one direction and down the other. Too much or too little tip weight will just compound that problem.

Derek

Offline Tom Strom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »
Thanks all for the replies.  As usual, useful information.  Mike, if the wind and rain ever stop here, I will have to take you up on the offer.  Again, thanks to all who replied. 

Tom

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 11:56:42 AM »
I have a NoblARF that comes loose on insides above 45* but is tight on outsides above 45*. I think the flaps need to be tweaked.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
I actually flew my Parrott P-47 at Huntersville with out tip weight.  Found out when I got home.......... LL~ LL~ LL~  (it does have some asymmetry and I used heavier wood on the outboard panel)

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 03:56:40 PM »
Two words. BENCH TRIM!
Mike

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »
Two words. BENCH TRIM!

HI Mike,

It was bench trimmed....... about 10 years prior. ;D  But I didn't go back and check after I stripped and refinished it............

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 11:11:11 AM »
My bench is level , is that the same thing.??  y1 LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

But is it FLAT?

;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here