News:

• May 06, 2024, 11:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: YO DAWG! NEVER USE HARDWARE STORE LAQUER THINNER UNLESS YOU WANT THIS TO HAPPEN  (Read 1973 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
YO DAWG! NEVER USE THAT CHEAP HARDWARE STORE LAQUER THINNER ON YOUR PLANE! I now have some crazy chandelier on the bottom of my wing! The more I tried buffing it off the more pronounced it became! I should have listened to the experts!

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
That’s a crying shame. Chandelier effect is the worst.

The rest of the plane looks ok though.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
The "lacquer thinner" sold at Home Depot in Canada is different than the stuff they sell in the USA. It's likely I'll be bringing some home to test  ;) and confirm that the BC Buds are not BS'ing us (again). Too bad about that chandelier stuck to your new wing, tho.   SH^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
The top came out even worse!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:48:46 AM by kevin king »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Guys, I will be posting more pics of this Midwest P40 Warhawk build from start to finish on Avaiojet's CFC Graphics venders corner as time permits. Come check it out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:56:30 PM by kevin king »

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
I have posted numerous times that I have had great success using Klean Strip lacquer thinner from local hardware stores.
The late great Jim Tichy experimented with different thinners and passed on to me the success he had with Klean Strip.
For those who don’t know, Jim Tichy was one of the premier builders/finishers on the planet and was always open
to pass his techniques along.
We spent a lot of hours exchanging ideas of finishing techniques and when he told about the Klean Strip thinner
I was all in. What you need to know, is that the local hardware store sells two types of thinner. A low VOC which is what the EPA wants us to use. DO NOT USE THE LOW VOC THINNER!!! It turns to snot when mixed with dope.
Read the back label an make sure it says high VOC or high solids.
I have been using this material for years and as flyers around these parts will tell you, my finishes are pretty OK.
My Hemstrought PT-19 won the Pilots Choice award in 2005 and would still be a front row plane today, thirteen years later.
I’ll follow up on this with the manufacturers number tomorrow.
The main reason that Jim and myself were so enthused about this product was that it was half the price of Sig, Brodak, Randolph and Certified, and the fact that we could jump in our car, drive around the corner and could
proceed with our projects and not have to wait for delivery of the expensive materials.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Online Mike Haverly

• Captain
I use it too.  It works fine.
Mike

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Did you use nitrate dope, had the same problem but only with nitrate

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Did you use nitrate dope, had the same problem but only with nitrate
Hi steve, I didn't use nitrate.

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Nice job!!
AMA 13001

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
I get butyrate clear and thinner from aircraft Spruce & Specialty.  If your order is a couple gallons total, the freight costs are amortized over the quantity, and still comes out less than hobby store prices.  Also, this is Randolph product;  no doubt the best quality.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Ron Santia

• New Pilot
Wow ,  Now thats a Mirror finish.  Nice....     Ron
AMA# 1004982

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
TO BAD THE EXHAUST OUTLET HOLES ARE DRILLED ON THE SIDE, SPEWING OIL ALL OVER THE FINISH. ON A PROFILE THEY SHOULD BE DRILLED ON THE BOTTOM, AWAY FROM THE AIRPLANE, NOT IN FRONT OF THE DAMN LEADING. PFFFT! :(

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
YO DAWG! NEVER USE THAT CHEAP HARDWARE STORE LAQUER THINNER ON YOUR PLANE! I now have some crazy chandelier on the bottom of my wing! The more I tried buffing it off the more pronounced it became! I should have listened to the experts!

That's what I call a nice light finish! :)!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
TO BAD THE EXHAUST OUTLET HOLES ARE DRILLED ON THE SIDE, SPEWING OIL ALL OVER THE FINISH. ON A PROFILE THEY SHOULD BE DRILLED ON THE BOTTOM, AWAY FROM THE AIRPLANE, NOT IN FRONT OF THE DAMN LEADING. PFFFT! :(

Have You Got a DRILL ? and some screws or rivets . ?  :o :o

Ive got a edwardian polished contured Tounge Muffler that has 5 2.5 mm odd holes in the end .
Some charitable soul has drilled five 5/16 holes in the SIDE too . But that niether here nor there .

Rivets/screws/bolts , thru across ( the old holes ) might break up the noise somewhat , :-\
From Open Exhaust aimed directly at outlet holes .
ANYWAY , you can PLUG cross ones , and I doubt if theres a Law preventing you drilling ones in the end ( Five x  3/32 or 80 thou. maybe )

Tho things might fly , if its to loud . Depending on location .  S?P S?P

Nice Plane . You Can Finish Mine , Any Day .  ;D

H^^

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
That's what I call a nice light finish! :)!
And I don't need a tip weight box, I can just add or remove the lightbulbs LL~

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
That’s a crying shame. Chandelier effect is the worst.

The rest of the plane looks ok though.
At worst I can use them as landing lights if I ever want to fly late at night. ;D

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Have You Got a DRILL ? and some screws or rivets . ?  :o :o

Ive got a edwardian polished contured Tounge Muffler that has 5 2.5 mm odd holes in the end .
Some charitable soul has drilled five 5/16 holes in the SIDE too . But that niether here nor there .

Rivets/screws/bolts , thru across ( the old holes ) might break up the noise somewhat , :-\
From Open Exhaust aimed directly at outlet holes .
ANYWAY , you can PLUG cross ones , and I doubt if theres a Law preventing you drilling ones in the end ( Five x  3/32 or 80 thou. maybe )

Tho things might fly , if its to loud . Depending on location .  S?P S?P

Nice Plane . You Can Finish Mine , Any Day .  ;D

H^^
Drilling the exhaust holes on the end and not on the side, in my opinion, is the job of the manufacturer.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club

Do you want a muffler or a exhaust extension?
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Do you want a muffler or a exhaust extension?
I did want a tongue muffler, not an exhaust extension, but its ok, I got tired of looking and explaining it so many times I just gave up. Besides that I already polished and engraved the one I had and this will be the last profile I ever build. Windy Urtnowski used to have them but those days are long gone. Maybe some time in the far off future someone will get it, but I wouldn't bet on it  :! ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here