News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:56:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scalemaster kits from the early 1950s  (Read 534 times)

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Scalemaster kits from the early 1950s
« on: July 23, 2021, 08:01:48 AM »
I posted an inquiry in the Scale Models section last week with no responses, I'm wondering if no one just didn't see it so I thought I'd try here.  In the early 50s Scalemaster Company made control line kits and published a model catalog. I'm interested in the Ford Trimotor plans for a 77" control line model. If you Google, Ford Trimotor Scalemaster plan number 105 you'll see the following response for the 1/12 scale kit. I have searched all plans resources I know of with no luck.

It would have been unusual for most youngsters (us) in the 50s being interested in such a large scale model, but there were some older gents during that time building these romantic historical ships from their era. I saw the Ford Trimotor model under construction during my time in the 50s and was fascinated with the detail the builder had in it. The builder was a mentor during my early modeling years and finished the model following my leaving modeling for a long hiatus. Years later I found it was sold to one of those Pickers and it ended up hanging from a ceiling some where in downstate New York. It never flew according to the builder whom I reacquainted with almost 50 years later. The builder is now gone, passing last year at 95.

No I'm not planning on building the control line Ford Trimotor but I'd like to retain a copy of the three set of plans. It's really all about nostalgia at this point, I'd like to see the plans my old friend no doubt poured over for years building that beautiful model. I won't get sappy at this point so I'll end it here.

If you do happen to come across any Scalemaster information you'll see the quality of their plans. I did see on eBay a S.E.5 plan, another kit they offered and was impressed.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Scalemaster kits from the early 1950s
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 08:58:13 AM »
I posted an inquiry in the Scale Models section last week with no responses, I'm wondering if no one just didn't see it so I thought I'd try here.  In the early 50s Scalemaster Company made control line kits and published a model catalog. I'm interested in the Ford Trimotor plans for a 77" control line model. If you Google, Ford Trimotor Scalemaster plan number 105 you'll see the following response for the 1/12 scale kit. I have searched all plans resources I know of with no luck.

It would have been unusual for most youngsters (us) in the 50s being interested in such a large scale model, but there were some older gents during that time building these romantic historical ships from their era. I saw the Ford Trimotor model under construction during my time in the 50s and was fascinated with the detail the builder had in it. The builder was a mentor during my early modeling years and finished the model following my leaving modeling for a long hiatus. Years later I found it was sold to one of those Pickers and it ended up hanging from a ceiling some where in downstate New York. It never flew according to the builder whom I reacquainted with almost 50 years later. The builder is now gone, passing last year at 95.

No I'm not planning on building the control line Ford Trimotor but I'd like to retain a copy of the three set of plans. It's really all about nostalgia at this point, I'd like to see the plans my old friend no doubt poured over for years building that beautiful model. I won't get sappy at this point so I'll end it here.

If you do happen to come across any Scalemaster information you'll see the quality of their plans. I did see on eBay a S.E.5 plan, another kit they offered and was impressed.

Thanks,

Steve

A ton of these Ford Trimotor models have been built over many years. All R/C.

I can remember the cover of a modeling magazine which featured this particular aircraft. Article, drawings/plans, plus photos.

Astonishing build by the modeler. If I remember correctly only the center engine operated, the other two just had spinning props. Plenty of surface detail and how the modeler did this.

Someone else might know the magazine.

Good luck.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »
... I won't get sappy at this point so I'll end it here. ...

Steve

I read you "loud and clear" Steve.  My mentor and his wife drove me to contests even though he didn't compete because I didn't have other options.  They advised me before their last child was born he/she would be named Dennis/Denise.  I can't begin to enumerate all the ways they helped me, but I was almost convinced he walked on water for several years.

Not sappy at all, just fact.  Perhaps the best we can do is attempt to pass it on.
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Online Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 06:05:19 PM »
The family asked me to say something at his memorial service which I was honored to do. He was a special person, he survived the beaches at Normandy yet never spoke of it in those early years I was able to hang around him. He showed me how to fly my first model and taught me a great deal about model building. I had the opportunity to spend time along side him when he built his house in our neighborhood and later when he built a large cabin cruiser in a nearby barn I also took it all in and learned a great deal.  During these formidable years I was in my early teens.

I could go on but I think you get the point. Not everyone is given an opportunity in life to experience someone special that makes a life long impression on them. I'm thankful I was given the chance.

I hope someone here can provide some information to enable my seeing these plans. I recall his plan was to have three operable motors, a center large 60ish on some mean of controlling it by a third line while the two outer smaller motors at full throttle would support the plane once airborne.
I'm sure the plans covered this control line option.

Thanks,

Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here