News:

• April 25, 2024, 04:17:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windfinder  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Windfinder
« on: June 30, 2018, 05:35:17 AM »
I find myself usually comparing weather forecasts from three different sources and guessing what the weather will be.  One thing they aren't too detailed or specific about is what is most important-the wind.  Here,  we can have big changes and in a hurry.  One of the better services is Air Sports Net.  But the guys in the RC club who send emails daily put me on to "Windfinder".  This one is cool with very detailed and area specific reports and for specific hours of the day.  Check it out.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
Re: Windfinder
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 07:27:06 AM »
You're right about the weather services not being very good at providing wind information. In my case my field isn't too far from a municipal airport, so I look up weather info for Felts Field and they have accurate wind info.
Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 07:34:38 AM »
Try usairnet.com
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 10:28:00 AM »
Windyty.
It's what we use on boats.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »
Windmapper.com works well also

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 12:33:59 PM »
I have yet to discover an accurate prediction of wind.  The science just isn't that developed.

My own prediction is based on observing the tops of our very tall fir trees outside my window.  Even so, wind at our field is often quite different.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 08:10:40 PM »
No need, we don't have wind in Texas. n~
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
Anyone else tried-
 http://classic.Wunderground.com/

It apparently relies on as many sources, including local weather observers, as possible, and allows/encourages amateurs to report by location, time and observed temp, barometer, wind speed and direction; likely precip% may be from larger resources (all graphed by time of day) in the 10-day report. Much other info, most of little interest to us.

Initial entry merely gives current stats for your location, and just about any other you enter.  An option (eventually) opens the 10-day report. It may not be exact, but has been surprisingly close when and wherever I checked. Just recently, ST. Louis, MO, was slow or incomplete in posting a 10-day. I've checked locations all around the world, and what I checked almost always had numbers.

You can join if you wish. No fees; ordering a daily email forecast optional. l did join, but see no change in performance for my uses. Optional...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 05:38:01 AM »
Hi Lou.  Yes I have WU on my stuff and it's helpful.  I live about forty minutes south east of the flying field and the weather can be pretty different there than home.  They have several stations within a couple miles of the field and can be helpful.  The only thing is these stations are in the backyards of some pretty high-end homes clustered in well-treed neighborhoods and their wind readings are usually quite low.  They are too sheltered to really show what is going on at the field which is in a wide open valley.  It's a good program though.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here