News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:57:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wind Up .  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Wind Up .
« on: November 18, 2018, 07:07:11 PM »
As in wine'dup . not wind up , though windup is WITH the wind up , obviously .  :P

O.K. What FACTORS generate the Speed Increase , what do we do about it , design & engine wise .  >:(

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Wind Up .
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 07:43:51 PM »
As in wine'dup . not wind up , though windup is WITH the wind up , obviously .  :P

O.K. What FACTORS generate the Speed Increase , what do we do about it , design & engine wise .  >:(

Two major factors - the alteration of induced drag from the bottom to the top, and wind shear/dynamic soaring-type effects.

The solutions can be:

bias the maneuvers so that the nose is partially into the wind at the bottom of the maneuvers, that is, to the left for insides and to the right for outsides
     increase the ratio of parasitic drag to induced drag by making the wing thicker than is necessary for the wing loading
      reduce the wing aspect ratio (which may seem counterproductive, but for whatever reason, isn't)
     use a competitive engine or motor package that provides the correct amount and timing of boost/brake - which means *tuned pipe engine running relatively low pitch* or a feedback electric system. Nothing you can do with a 4-2 break engine will make it better than it was in 1975, which is why they aren't used any more.

This has been rehashed endlessly over the decades since 4-2 break engines became obsolete, I would recommend a careful search here and on SSW (since it has been around much longer, although it greatly antedates most of the serious work on tuned pipe engines).

Note also that the biggest problem with windup is the tendency of the maneuvers to "open up" as the speed increases. The solution is to build the airplane with adequate tail volume to overcome the issue ,and to permit the CG to be run further aft than it would be otherwise to reduce the control loads.

Brett

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 12:38:32 AM »

I do not know enough about the tech design on electrical ESC's yet to know if a Castle 50 has feedback as Brett is referring to, I suspect it doesn't,  but I can say that the constant RPM from the motor has greatly reduced the windup in my ships.  Not 100% but it is certainly better than the IC's I have.  I still get some tightening on the down side (which can be controlled) but the dangerous speed increase is far less.  Part of this may be that I don't have to fly the 1st half of the pattern nose heavy to keep from being tail heavy at the end so it may be the CG more than the constant motor speed.  Either way, it is better.

IMHO the windup is much less with an aft CG, leadouts as far forward as practical and a long tail with a large stab - all of which unfortunately reduce line tension.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:05:41 AM »
I have a unique perspective on this since I have used both IC and electric power systems.

With electric the motor run is a constant (ignoring changes to the input parameters to the Igor active motor controller). What I have found is that having the leadouts as far aft as possible reduces the wind-up. Wih electric it is easy to change the leadouts flight to flight and see ONLY that effect as the motor will run the same. I have tried this on heavy planes, light planes, higher aspect ratio, lower aspect ratios, thick wings, thin wings and the results are exactly the same every time.

Further, the lower the prop pitch, the less wind-up there is. That is true for electric power as well.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 09:08:55 AM »
I do not know enough about the tech design on electrical ESC's yet to know if a Castle 50 has feedback as Brett is referring to, I suspect it doesn't,  but I can say that the constant RPM from the motor has greatly reduced the windup in my ships.  Not 100% but it is certainly better than the IC's I have.

No, that is not what I meant - without accelerometers, that is a governor system, which doesn't allow the motor to speed up very much, but also doesn't cause it to slow down when you would want it to. The feedback systems have accelerometers that sense the speed up and back the motor off to compensate.

If your IC system doesn't do better, it's probably because it is not configured correctly. More-or-less, if you are not comparing it to one of the known good IC systems (PA, RO-Jett, or VF), then you will not get there, and the electric will be better.  What is your reference engine/prop/pipe length?  Heavy air is where I think IC still might have an advantage (because the bandwidth of the speed controller limits the possible response of the feedback system - essentially, the feedback loop has to be slower enough than the speed controller to keep the combination from going unstable).

IMHO the windup is much less with an aft CG, leadouts as far forward as practical and a long tail with a large stab - all of which unfortunately reduce line tension.

Moving the leadouts forward might reduce the line tension, but the other things don't. The other things reduce the control loads, meaning that you *require* less tension. In any case, the issue with whipped up airplanes is certainly not lack of line tension, if it is whipping up, the problem is usually *excessive* tension, not inadequate tension. Thats why biasing the maneuver helps, it keeps the speed within the limits of sanity at the bottoms of the loops.

Brett

p.s. as an aside, this came up in another thread yesterday, and the casual ease with which people can get an acceptable electric system compared to the difficulty of getting an equally good run with an engine is where these "electric is AMAZING!" comments start - because, compared to most people's IC system, it is amazing and much better. I checked the "Engine Setup" forum yesterday and there wasn't a *single thread* that appeared to have anything to do with a competitive IC engine system in the year 2018. I don't fault anyone for running whatever they want, but it was striking to me that no one appears to even be aware of the remarkable developments of the last 30 years, or they are, but think it's nonsense and hype.

Given that, it's not at all surprising that the same people find electric to be breakthrough, almost any system you get that has a speed controller and will get through a pattern will work better than the best 4-2 break system and it will certainly be more repeatable. I think the best possible electric systems and the best possible IC systems are pretty even right now, with IC probably as good or marginally better in some conditions, and electric being better in some conditions. But compare even simple electric systems to the average IC system, and it's a blowout. That alone is going to make electric dominate the event, whether it's really better than a perfect IC system or not.

p.p.s. I did a quick brush through the Engine Setup pages, and it wasn't until page 5 until I got thread title that related to competitive engines, and that was from April!  There are a lot of 20FP/25LA questions, those run much better than what most people are talking about, and there was a Aero Tiger question, which is much better than what most people run, but otherwise, nearly nothing about PA61/65, PA75, RO-Jett 61, or 40/46VF. That takes us back to at least *1990*, which is more than a *quarter of a century* ago.

Part of the issue, which has been clearly obvious for a long time, is that electric is not overburdened with "tribal knowledge" to nearly the extent that IC engines have. By "tribal knowledge", of course I mean utter and complete bullshit. So you can naively set up your electric and have it work, but no one can bring themselves to just leave their engine alone and run it. That alone would greatly improve almost everyone's rate of IC success. With feedback electric systems I can see some people starting to think they know how to "improve" it, and shoot themselves in the foot thereby, so I have every confidence that we will wind up with a similar steaming pile of tribal knowledge for electric in short order!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:24:26 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 10:30:43 AM »
Agree with everything Brett says about power systems - but the sound of a big-block on a pipe still makes me happy. I'm still in the camp of large-displacement 2S with a pipe for the best, most consistent power. Maybe I'm a relic from days past but I love messing about with engines and tuning. Always gotta respect a good spinner flick start.  Plus, there's (to me at least) just a certain aura of the smoke coming out the bottom behind the wing.I guess that could be exciting with an electric too.  <=

First time I saw a Porsche hybrid leave the pits with no engine noise I think I knew how the old sailors of the tall ships must have felt when the steamship arrived. It carries over to my CL flying. Just like race cars, you experience  this hobby with all your senses. The sounds and smells are all part of it for me.

AMA 76478

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »
Agree with everything Brett says about power systems - but the sound of a big-block on a pipe still makes me happy. I'm still in the camp of large-displacement 2S with a pipe for the best, most consistent power. Maybe I'm a relic from days past but I love messing about with engines and tuning. Always gotta respect a good spinner flick start.  Plus, there's (to me at least) just a certain aura of the smoke coming out the bottom behind the wing.I guess that could be exciting with an electric too.  <=

First time I saw a Porsche hybrid leave the pits with no engine noise I think I knew how the old sailors of the tall ships must have felt when the steamship arrived. It carries over to my CL flying. Just like race cars, you experience  this hobby with all your senses. The sounds and smells are all part of it for me.
I miss the sound too, but that is all I miss.  Record a good engine run on your cell phone then play it back in your pocket with the volume turned up when you fly electric.  However, if you see smoke coming out of the bottom of your electric.....

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 01:08:13 PM »
Hello
The other method of preventing wind up is to fly a real draggy model like a scale Gee Bee of Grumman Wildcat with lots of frontal area and tons of horsepower, sort of like my old Chevy C10 truck you add more horsepower and you don't go much faster just use a ton more fuel.
Biplanes are like this too, they soak up the horsepower especially if they are scale like with lots of rigging but never windup but can be very tricky in a breeze! 

Yep electric does make it easy for us dummies that can't or won't go for a modern 2 stroke set up , personally I like the noise and slime but love the convenience and cleanliness of electric on a scale stunter where they don't age as quickly and the matt camo finish stays matt.

Thinking way back to the 1970's I flew electric before glow as RTP electric, converted to two lines (often large slot car motors, 12-36 volts down enameled copper lines). RTP (round the pole electric) was really popular in the 1970's with lots of free plans in English Aeromodeler magazine, even converted one to Cox 049 power latter .

Regards Gerald

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 05:20:17 PM »
Brett, you keep talking, ill keep making notes!!  You're going to turn me into a decent IC guy yet.  My biggest short coming is frequent lack of time to actually fly.  Hoping to remedy that next season.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 08:43:32 PM »
Hello
The other method of preventing wind up is to fly a real draggy model like a scale Gee Bee of Grumman Wildcat with lots of frontal area and tons of horsepower, sort of like my old Chevy C10 truck you add more horsepower and you don't go much faster just use a ton more fuel.

IOW, add a bunch of parasitic drag.

Brett

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 01:01:41 AM »

IOW, add a bunch of parasitic drag.

Brett

Hello On parasitic wonder if we could fit these to stop wind up  ;)
Douglas SBD Dauntless dive brakes look very distinctive

Regards Gerald

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 11:51:57 AM »
Hello On parasitic wonder if we could fit these to stop wind up  ;)
Douglas SBD Dauntless dive brakes look very distinctive

Regards Gerald
Now there is a thread in the making.  What if we put holes in our flaps?  I only half jokenly wonder if anybody has?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 06:29:30 PM »
Doonside Mob tried these . Cant seeim to clearly , but theres THREE Spanwise Slots in the Outer Flap at the Outer End .

Er , Yes You Can. Actually . Had to lift it from Orig site . Brian Gardners  88- Reg Towell Caudron  based ship .

Fairly Common earlier on on doonside and assoc Ships .

Id visualised it as a ' Vortex Generator ' to stabilise the outer tip in rough air ,
But Told from the Horses Mouth that at full deflection the air goes through .
Quite Why is another matter .
Probly still on the secrets list .  ;D :-X

Theyre say 1 1/2 ish long , hard edge , like youd used a milling machine . Maybe 1/4 slots with 3/16 or 1/8 between each .

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 11:54:26 PM »
Well there's a blast from the past. I ended up taping over those slots and trimming the flap chord at the root to get a better turn out of it.

Doonside Mob tried these . Cant seeim to clearly , but theres THREE Spanwise Slots in the Outer Flap at the Outer End .

Er , Yes You Can. Actually . Had to lift it from Orig site . Brian Gardners  88- Reg Towell Caudron  based ship .

Fairly Common earlier on on doonside and assoc Ships .

Id visualised it as a ' Vortex Generator ' to stabilise the outer tip in rough air ,
But Told from the Horses Mouth that at full deflection the air goes through .
Quite Why is another matter .
Probly still on the secrets list .  ;D :-X

Theyre say 1 1/2 ish long , hard edge , like youd used a milling machine . Maybe 1/4 slots with 3/16 or 1/8 between each .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here