News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:03:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why not to use Enya engines?  (Read 15008 times)

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Why not to use Enya engines?
« on: February 03, 2021, 08:31:09 PM »
Found this interesting post in RC Groups -> Aircraft - Fuel - General -> Engines Discussion -> Enya engines ...who's still using them?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2068286-Enya-engines-who-s-still-using-them/page172#post46464217

Enjoyed watching his using the different small Enya engines, both legacy cross scavenge and Schneurle, thought may be a few here would like to watch, too. ;D

Quote from: fps60 of Russia, Moscow, Moskva
Why not to use Enya engines? All of them are good runners, both old-time and recent ones, in any weather. Here are some examples of our experience with Enya's:

Enya 19-V

Enya SS25 Stunt

Enya 11CXD Stunt

Enya 15CX Stunt (sorry, no pictures in flight)

Enya 40XZ Stunt (has not flied yet, have no suitable airframe)

They all have good torque and so are capable to run efficiently with large props.

Offline Gregory Hammond

• Ensign
Re: Why not to use Enya engines?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 12:53:58 AM »
My Enya engines are still going strong!  Easy starting.. wonderful control line engines

Apparently..  you can send your tired old engine back to Japan, and Mr Enya will recondition back to new condition!
Hope he is still offering this.. its been a while since I visited the online web site

https://www.enya-engine.com/index_E.htm

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 02:04:56 AM »
I need a test stand like that. Something really, really solid. Stability you can only get with an eight foot tap root. And made of crush-resistant endgrain wood. Something that can handle even an Enya 60. Of course, I'll need a forest first in order to select the best sited "test stand." And be sure it is not made out of only 15 lb wood....

It occurs to me that if you picked the right tree to modify into your test stand, you would have sufficient rawstock to make props for all your engines for the rest of your life. So I'd be looking for a beechwood or a maple as a first choice. A birch tree would also be ideal.

I've been impressed with the Enyas I've seen run. So it's no surprise that I have a couple of projects in the works that will get new Enyas....

The Divot

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 05:10:48 AM »
I really do wish I had a test stand like that stump!  I was once running-in an Enya .29-III, mounted on a piece of 1/2" ply secured(?) to the top of a five-bar gate by a big G-cramp, which the vibration duly unscrewed without my noticing.  That engine flew a long way into a field of long grass!
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 06:54:41 AM »
It occurs to me that if you picked the right tree to modify into your test stand, you would have sufficient rawstock to make props for all your engines for the rest of your life. So I'd be looking for a beechwood or a maple as a first choice. A birch tree would also be ideal.
The Divot

The top guys would be looking for the rare carbon fiber trees....

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 07:15:07 AM »
Not a big fan of clamps.  Prefer screws, nails.

Not me:

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 09:23:22 AM »

Not me:

There is a lot wrong in that video even before the engine fires up!  For one, looking at the size of the engine, he was no where near secure enough on the deck rail post, and what he had clamping it doesn't even qualify as a clamp to me!! Then look at the way the starter grabs onto the crankshaft and the way he has to pull it off to reposition it, i think he actually started the accident when he pulled the starter away after the engine started. This one is a candidate for the Darwin Awards!, or at least a lesson on how NOT to do something!  Clamps can work, but you need the correct clamps and a correct clamping surface.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 10:08:20 AM »
This one is a candidate for the Darwin Awards!, or at least a lesson on how NOT to do something!  Clamps can work, but you need the correct clamps and a correct clamping surface.

At least he had the good sense to videotape it for our entertainment.

A lot of people have no idea how much power and thrust even modest engines put out. I have seen stuff like this time after time. I sold an engine to a guy for R/C one time. Nothing particularly macho - an HB 40 PDP. He wants help starting it, so I go over to the house, and he has a Dave Brown mount - OK - screwed to the grain end of a 2x4 with #4 wood screws that go in about 1/2", clamped to a card table  in his garage. I talk him out of the card table and do something better for the engine mount, and clamp it with 2 c-clamps to his workbench. I warned him, "hey, all that stuff hanging up it going to get blown around", but we proceed. Start it up, not too bad at idle, he pushes the throttle to full, and it immediately blows all the stuff off the pegboard, and the card table gets picked up and and thrown up against the back wall of the garage.

Another one, my dad modifies his old McCoy 29 to have a *much larger* venturi, like 3x as big. He mounts it on something, clamps it to the picnic table, fires it up with a Top Flite 10-3 1/2 nylon. He gets it started, and sets it at a medium 2, really cranking, and then we stand back and let it run. As the fuel runs down, it gets leaner and leaner and faster and faster, he's very pleased - and then the picnic table starts scooting across the patio, hits a joint in the concrete, and flips over.

So, many people have no real appreciation of the kind of power or air blast you can get with these things, and I have seen stuff roughly equivalent to that video many times.

Brett

p.s. The McCoy 29 was intended for a Top Flite Superform P-47 kit with about a 2-foot winspan, for me *at ~9 years old*, to fly. We built the airplane, put the old McCoy 29 in it, and I get sent out to fly it. About 15 seconds into the flight, I start panicking because I can't possibly hold on to this heavy beast at Warp 7, and in my mind, invent the safety thong. I start screaming for him to come get it, but fortunately it quits.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 11:20:19 AM »
Dan,

Thanks for writing "In Defense of Clamps."  You are right that clamps can work.  From one point of view, even engine hold down bolts are effectively clamps pressing on the lugs.

Peter

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 12:46:50 PM »
The guy with the mounting fail needs lessons on starting engines.  I would talk to guys in the club about starting their engines with the electric finger.   You don't push the starter into the engine and keep it there.  If it don't fire within a cycle or two something is wrong.   I had to prove to them I could start an engine by hand faster than the starter.  Also I use the big C clamps and really tighten them down.   I even tighten them while engine is running.   By the way if guys would read instructions they would see you never or seldom ever start a throttled engine on full throttle.  The one time I had a failur on my engine test mount which is made out of aluminum blocks was when I fire up my K&B 40 on pressure for navy carrier and it threw a prop blade when I went to full throttle.  I was sure glad I was behind it as it sheared the bolts I thought was tight enough,

Really in the KC area Enya was not readily available at the shops I visited.   Also we had one being flown that was well broken in.  On its last flight it locked up and sent the propellor flying with the spinner.  The gentleman took it home and could not get it apart.   It was like the piston welded it self to the cylinder. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 01:21:12 PM »
Why not to use Enya engines?  Good question and I dunno.  I have a b$&t load of them now and only wish I’d have appreciated them many years ago.  As Doc mentioned they weren’t very common in our area hobby shops and usually very expensive compared to others.  Also I think in those days there was still a stigma about stuff made in Japan,  many of the hobbyists being WWII vets.  There is usually a good number still available on EBay.  RC versions are easily converted to CL.
In re the test stands,  one of our first larger engines was a Johnson .35.  Dad mounted it atop an old wooden sawhorse out in the garage and had me (about 10 yrs old) sit on the sawhorse.  When it fired up it began to drag the sawhorse and me across the slick garage floor.  Dad had to save me!

Dave
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 02:21:25 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 05:25:13 PM »
Did they make a 40-50 size AAC glow?
Here's Enya's link to their CL engines,
https://www.enya-engine.com/ListCL_E.html
And to their RC engines,
https://www.enya-engine.com/ListAP2CYL_E.html

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 08:30:34 PM »
Some good looking engines. D>K

And Dave T., you were not that big back then.  I remember the first contest I seen you in at the old Crysler Ball field. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 09:02:16 PM »
I have used and tested many Enya Engines for CL

Here is my Youtube channel with many flights using Enya engines.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnVVxBWpPWYIWXVDq9zgNCA

here is an Enya SS45 pulling a BlueMax at 4700ft Density altitude.
Slow Setup

Normal

Hi-power setup, just to show the engine has plenty of power for the B.M.

Enya SS30 with a reduced version of the Pathfinder profile.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 01:10:31 AM »
Martin
         What are the spec's for the slow setup,thanks.

Offline Oldenginerod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 02:07:41 AM »

Not me:

Similar scenario, I was running my Red Head .29 full tilt in my home-made (it actually came out pretty good) wooden test stand.  The plates bearing down on the mounting lugs were pulled down tight with wing nuts on 1/4" bolts.  It was probably my first good run on one of these McCoys and man, was that thing screaming.  Then, I notice one of the wing nuts unscrewing itself with the vibration, then the other.  By this time I wasn't keen to try to shut the needle off as the engine was starting to pirouette on the stand.  I should have ripped the fuel line off, but it was too late.   It left the stand and as the fuel line pulled off it leaned out to peak and accelerated straight into the tin wall of my workshop about 10' away.  I was behind it of course.  I could hear small pieces of the (too) old nylon prop rattling all around the shed.  I didn't get hit thankfully.  The engine seemed to come out with only one marked head fin and still runs fine, but I'm sure to recheck those wing nuts right throughout any runs from then on.

Oh, and I don't need any replies telling me how stupid I was.  I know how stupid I was.   :!

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 07:57:03 AM »
That guy used wrong type clamp...A regular c clamp is light years better. I have 100s of bench runs using one 8" c clamp up to 60 size and never a problem. My stand is one of those aluminum Tatone /Jtec or whatever the current name is still sold by MECOA. It has roll pins for the lug holes in case the nuts get loose. Tighten with a wrench and is way tighter than could be done with fingers on wing nuts.
Bill P.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2021, 09:47:44 AM »
Appears the engine flew right into him, that must have smarted, HB~> hope he didn't seriously injure himself, n1 especially with that very healthy diameter prop.  n~

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 11:31:43 AM »
Similar scenario, I was running my Red Head .29 full tilt in my home-made (it actually came out pretty good) wooden test stand.  The plates bearing down on the mounting lugs were pulled down tight with wing nuts on 1/4" bolts.  It was probably my first good run on one of these McCoys and man, was that thing screaming.  Then, I notice one of the wing nuts unscrewing itself with the vibration, then the other.  By this time I wasn't keen to try to shut the needle off as the engine was starting to pirouette on the stand.  I should have ripped the fuel line off, but it was too late.   It left the stand and as the fuel line pulled off it leaned out to peak and accelerated straight into the tin wall of my workshop about 10' away.  I was behind it of course.  I could hear small pieces of the (too) old nylon prop rattling all around the shed.  I didn't get hit thankfully.  The engine seemed to come out with only one marked head fin and still runs fine, but I'm sure to recheck those wing nuts right throughout any runs from then on.

And if you don't replace those wing nuts I will send you my sign. D>K

Oh, and I don't need any replies telling me how stupid I was.  I know how stupid I was.   :!
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 07:17:42 AM »
Martin
         What are the spec's for the slow setup,thanks.

Hi Paul,

Enya SS45 BB stock with stock muffler
Stock Brodak MW ATF 4.5oz fuel tank, use 3.9oz fuel
Enya Spiral Venturi 8.3mm
APC 12x4 prop
Byron 10/20 Tradicional Stock Fuel
Needle setting in the ground is a bit open from full 2 Stroke

The slow Setup i used a stock Dubro Large Exhaust Deflector for 60 90 engines
For the Normal Setup I cut the longest straight part of the Dubro Exhaust Deflector
The Power setup used no exhaust deflector

Changing the exhaust restriction I changed the power setting.

I am building a Thundergazer now and will mount the Enya SS45 in an angle so I can use it with a Tune Pipe, This engine is very light with 289g, cheap, strong, long lasting, fuel efficient and works very well with a cheap APC prop... so I am pretty happy with it.

Total weight of the engine, header, pipe, fuel tank, 12x3.75 3 Blade prop and Brodak Aluminum Spinner  503g

Martin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 12:44:53 PM by Martin Quartim »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 02:44:22 PM »
Meh. Test stands are for Sissies. Tough guys just hold the engine in their hand. 😁

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 08:01:25 PM »
Regarding the OP's question, I've got a pair of projects on the workbench thanks to Phil Cartier. Two of his foam wings, scaled down plans from his RST, and a pair of Enya 15s. I'll find out soon what kind of challenge it'll be installing fuel tanks. Might have to consider in-board mounting.

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 02:49:03 AM »
Thanks Martin.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 04:21:55 PM »
The whole problem with Enya engines here in the USA has always been with distributors, IMO. For a long time, "MRC" was the importer/distributor and of course were advertised as 100% R/C, whether that was true or not, IDK. Can't think of another importer, until Randy Smith sold some Enya engines and parts. No idea what his situation was, but after awhile, they appeared to be gone.

It sounds like  Enya sells direct and that's about our only source, other than a guy on eBay..."Shutterman", I think. I don't do eBay, so there's that. If he wanted to sell some Enya engines and parts, maybe he should set up an office in Stunt Hangar's Vendor's Section? Somebody might put that idea to him and see what happens.   y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2021, 12:08:53 AM »
Dave Moe,

I see you've got a YenYaa .15-III there.  I just bolted one onto a rebuilt Magician. I haven't had a chance to even run it yet. It feels like a runner, but not sure if it has been fully broken in yet. You'll have to let us know what your setup is and what works. After your tundra thaws out. And the snowmobiler's get offen yer circle.

Stay warm, brother

The Divot

Stock(?) venturi
Zinger 8x6 reworked and APC 7x5 props to try first
Standard vent tank that looks like about 1-1/2 flowing ozzies (which seems far too small)

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2021, 12:48:32 PM »

The complain No 1 about Enya Engines is because they are hard to start and break in when new. That is true for the Iron Engines like the Enya 15III,  Enya 19, Enya 35III  and some of the Schnuerle ones like the Enya SS25/30 and 40.

However if you apply the steps below you will have a strong, 1st flip, reliable and long lasting engine in no time!

When the engine is new and it comes extra tight from Enya it will be harder to start (to much resistance to turn) but the harder to get started the better compression and power it will have.

These are the steps I do to break in Enya Iron Engines that has been working very very well for me .  All it takes is about an hour and a half of running time.

First Phase – Thermal Treating
I do 10 short runs of 1min with the needle set so the engine  burbling between 4/2, letting the engine totally cool between runs. Then 8 short runs of 2 min and 6 of 3min (perhaps the 6x3min is not necessary but I do it anyway)

Second Phase - Unleashing the Power
3 runs of 6 minutes with the same needle setting as in phase 1. Depending on how tight the engine is it may require more runs the same way.  Never had to do more then 5 times. I pinch the fuel line with care to make the engine keep at peak rpm for 8 to 10 seconds, then I release the fuel line, wait for about 25s and repeat the process until the end. The top rpm improves significantly in this stage. I call the engine ready to fly when I see that there is no more gain in the peak rpm. At this point as soon as I release the fuel line the rpm returns back immediately to the set rpm.

If you break in just letting the engine run rich and don't peak it out, it will never break-in and develop good power. You will mistakenly think it is a lame engine!

Of course these steps are not for Ring, ABC or AAC Enya Engines, only for those with Iron P/L.

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2021, 12:53:43 PM »
Dave Moe,

I see you've got a YenYaa .15-III there.  I just bolted one onto a rebuilt Magician. I haven't had a chance to even run it yet. It feels like a runner, but not sure if it has been fully broken in yet. You'll have to let us know what your setup is and what works. After your tundra thaws out. And the snowmobiler's get offen yer circle.

Stay warm, brother

The Divot

Stock(?) venturi
Zinger 8x6 reworked and APC 7x5 props to try first
Standard vent tank that looks like about 1-1/2 flowing ozzies (which seems far too small)

I suggest you try a 9x4 prop with the Enya 15III.

Martin

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 02:14:42 PM »
I've used a Masters 8x6 prop on my Enya .15-III TV, throttle wired wide open unmuffled on a Sterling 30" Junior Ringmaster. Amazed me, will do a wet-2 to lean-2 when entering stunts, return to wet-2. It pulls as strong with that setup as when I had an OS Max .15FP-S Schneurle and a Masters 8x4 prop.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 09:18:37 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Will try to prep a couple more props for testing day....

The Divot

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 10:04:47 PM »
What do you think of the 5224 35's . round intake p. b. , for a TWIN . what props . Theyre pretty mint . Inverted mounting .

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2021, 10:15:08 PM »
Some of the older Enya's had metric sized cranks that were larger than 1/4" diameter.
You had to drill out your props to fit that metric crank before you could use them.
That is one reason that lessened their popularity.
De Hill

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2021, 05:13:21 AM »
Some of the older Enya's had metric sized cranks that were larger than 1/4" diameter.
You had to drill out your props to fit that metric crank before you could use them.
That is one reason that lessened their popularity.

That's the main reason I didn't buy enya back in the 1990s when flying rc. 
Bill P.

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2021, 09:09:01 AM »
That's a fine looking ship you've got there, Brother Divot. FYI, this winter's cold has gotten to the gristle between my bones, so that's why I'm so late getting back to you.

My problem on the two "RST 15" trainers is tank placement and capacity. So far, I'm planning to use Brodak ounce and a quarter critters while cutting a bit into the foam wings for fit. These ships might be smaller than yours, so I'll use 8x4 props and hope for lighter fuel draw. Seeing that they are trainers, short and risky flights will be the order of the day anyway. They'll likely "land" with fuel to spare.

Dave Moe (oh, wishing I had his hair)...

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2021, 07:06:42 PM »
Dave Moe,

Sorry to hear about the frozen gristle. That sounds kinda painful....

I couldn't find a ready to hand picture of the RST planes, but am imagining some foam wingage with some top 'n bottom wood spars. I think guys commonly notch the wing back as far as they need to go to fit their tank in. They sure did on a bunch of combat jobs.  Hope you get yours all set up while the house is warm and there's no point in going outside....

Those things ought to be perfect for thrashing around and learning to fly any maneuver without fear. Probably would have helped me with my flying. Probably could still help my flying....

Dunno how big those RSTs are, but the Maggie 15 has a 34" span and probably 250 square ouches, for a comparison.

Might have to break down and run the YenYaa before I take it out to the field. That would be the smart thing to do. Of course, that never keeps me from doing something else....

The Divot
"Cheapest Prices In Town on Concrete Demolition--One Crankshaft At A Time"

PS--Dunno about Moe's hairs. I know that after a year of cutting my own hair while looking in a mirror I'm kind of over worrying about how it looks. Which, perversely, seems to get better with each attempt. Maybe it is an exception to the rule about practice...or something like that.

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2021, 09:53:25 PM »
Divot:

Truth be told, the "RST 15" doesn't exist - it's just a scaled down version of Phil's regular RST using one of his combat wings (yes, with the top and bottom wooden spars). The span is 40 inches with 220 square inches doing the heavy lifting.

Speaking of heavy, the Enya 15-IV is just too bulky for this model, so I'll go with a 15-III for each plane. Will save the 15-IV for something less likely to be trashed.

I appreciate Martin giving us his howdy-do on break-in for these little gems. Both of my motors appear to have very low run time and don't seem capable of peaking yet, so work needs to be done using Martin's procedure. Give your mill a test run and let me know what you think. I ran one in the cold garage this evening (hair dryer for heat). If we get into a long-winded motor discussion, perhaps we should start a topic on the Enya 15 over on the Engines board?

Spare the crank, my friend.

Dave Moe...

PS: Thank goodness for cold motors. My hair dryer's designed purpose hasn't been exercised in many a Moon!

D...

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2021, 10:11:03 AM »
What (very) little I know about Enya engines, particularly the plain-bearing types in stunt, is that Martin is right - you cannot scrimp on the break-in. They are made to extremely tight tolerances, probably tighter than ideal for our purposes. One very important factor in getting a good 4-2 transition is having low drag in the bearing section. If you get the opportunity, you should try rocking the prop back and forth on a Discovery-Retro 60, it is uncanny how freely it moves through bottom dead center. Any break-in had to make sure that the bearing is extremely free, and with the very tight tolerances and superior materials (compared to the usual Fox/McCoy cheapies etc) it takes an eternity for it to loosen up on an Enya.

Most people give up long before it gets to the ideal condition. Almost all of them that I see have been around for decades, and with cursory break-in to just get it safe to fly, and occasional sport use, they are still far too tight for best performance in stunt.   Same thing affects the Fox, but since those are all over the place, some are too tight, some are too loose, every once in a while they come out right.

Brett

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2021, 11:02:14 AM »
Meh. Test stands are for Sissies. Tough guys just hold the engine in their hand. 😁

I've done that.......................................with 1/2A's.  LL~ LL~

Jerry

PS: Love to hear that TeeDee 010 screaming n my hand!

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2021, 11:05:21 AM »
Regarding the OP's question, I've got a pair of projects on the workbench thanks to Phil Cartier. Two of his foam wings, scaled down plans from his RST, and a pair of Enya 15s. I'll find out soon what kind of challenge it'll be installing fuel tanks. Might have to consider in-board mounting.

Dave Mo...

Dave, Bad idea. I bought an airplane with an inboard engine and I took 4 oz's out of the OB wing when I converted it to an OB engine.

Good luck, Jerry

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2021, 11:41:26 AM »
OK, Jerry. Will just have to take a bit of a bite out of the foam wings OB and rely on some tail weights.

Thanks for the warning.

Dave Moe...

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2021, 05:04:52 PM »
Wait, do we have a communication issue here?

The question was about an inboard tank, not an inboard engine, right?

The Divot

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2021, 06:34:42 PM »
Spot on, Sir Divot!

What a strange critter the 15-III has been to get started. It took a long while to figure out the formula, but I can do it in one or two flips now. Lots of break-in still needed though.

Dave Moe...

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2021, 06:44:58 AM »
I have been running Enyas since I started in this hobby (1976) The reason I dont run them anymore is that they are just too much of a PIA They require too much break in They are too finiky  They run good then they dont run good Some of the newer SS ones seam to run better  except it seams hard to keep the power that they have under control So too me they are not great stunt engines To those who love them all the best but I am working at selling or giving away the last of my Enyas I will not miss them !!!

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2021, 11:17:37 AM »
This isn't my plane or my video, but this reissue Enya 35-III ,sure sounds great in this Tucker Special!   (edited for accuracy)

The engine is the plain bearing version, running the small square venturi, low-comp head, and the old-style stock strap-on muffler. 
Fuel is 5% nitro, 11% castor and 11% synthetic. 
APC 10.5 x 4.5. Launched at 10K rpm.
45oz airplane.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:17:52 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2021, 11:39:35 AM »
Martin (and any others here in the know):

With the Enya 15-III, am running low nitro and 20% all castor oil. Once break-in is complete, I hope to run 5% nitro and 22% oil in a blend of half castor and half synthetic. Has anyone had any experience indicating that this blend of oil could be a disaster for the engine I've worked so hard to get broken in?

Thanks.

Dave Moe...

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2021, 03:05:25 PM »
This isn't my plane or my video, but this reissue Enya 35-III bb sure sounds great in this Tucker Special! 

The engine is running the small venturi, low-comp head, and the old-style stock strap-on muffler.  Fuel is 5% nitro, 11% castor and 11% synthetic.  APC 10.5 x 4.5.

Hey, that’s mine! I don’t think I even knew there was a video of it out there. To clarify, it’s the regular plain bearing version, not the bb one. From memory, the break-in was similar to what Martin suggests. Certainly no great drama, and didn’t take hours of running or gallons of fuel. I find it a very easy engine to get on with, and would happily recommend it (or the more modern SS series for that matter - I’ve been very happy with the SS25/30/45).

Dave, I doubt that it would be any problem to run your engine on that brew, although the smaller Enyas seem to like more nitro (10-15%). I use 25% all castor in the OS35S, which I’d consider a bit less robust, but otherwise 11/11 does just fine in any of my other iron/steel engines. I’ve heard of people using 28% castor in Enyas ‘because they’re iron/steel like a Fox 35’, but they really don’t need it and from what I understand, don’t run as well with that much oil. They are a very hard engine to kill.

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2021, 08:05:06 AM »
Steve:

Thank-you for the reply, and good to hear that they are robust. Somehow I managed to kill off a 15-III with an unknown fuel mix; won't do that again.

Dave Moe...

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2021, 05:51:34 PM »
Martin (and any others here in the know):

With the Enya 15-III, am running low nitro and 20% all castor oil. Once break-in is complete, I hope to run 5% nitro and 22% oil in a blend of half castor and half synthetic. Has anyone had any experience indicating that this blend of oil could be a disaster for the engine I've worked so hard to get broken in?

Thanks.

Dave Moe...

Hi Dave,

I do the break-in with 0% nitro and all castor oil but then I fly with Byron 10/20 Blend Fuel with added high-quality castor oil to get to 23~25%

Martin

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2021, 12:01:34 AM »
I give Enyas a try now and then. Down on power compared to FP40s or Tower40s, or for the less adventurous, LA 46s. At Brodak one year an Enya ss40 wouldn't pull my Prowler with authority. It appeared broken in. Did not overheat in a two stroke, two stroke run. Folks got on me for running over lean trying to get the power up. This was using recommended props. Even slightly over lean the engine did not seem tight. FP40s and the like could be tuned to get the Prowler to work. Plenty of power. On the other hand, the Tucker and Pathfinder look good. Perhaps the engine I was running was not broken in. Prowler was porky. 46 ounces. No need to be that heavy. The old Enyas were used in race events at one time. Team race? When profile racing happens in our area, always a few folks asking for old Enyas. Guess they're powerful when compared to their contemporaries.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2021, 03:49:10 AM »
Hello

Enya 29's are still popular here in NZ for Vintage B class team race and I currently have 2 models with Enya 29 on them. Nothing like a nice well run in Enya 29 model 5224 for reliable but not stunning power . A tight one without much running does try your patience. Have a SS40 plain bearing on an old stunt trainer that my oldest son fly's but it is no powerhouse just a good plodder that gets the job done and it does get hot if pushed too hard .
Regards Gerald

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2021, 04:13:45 AM »
I give Enyas a try now and then. Down on power compared to FP40s or Tower40s, or for the less adventurous, LA 46s. At Brodak one year an Enya ss40 wouldn't pull my Prowler with authority. It appeared broken in. Did not overheat in a two stroke, two stroke run. Folks got on me for running over lean trying to get the power up. This was using recommended props. Even slightly over lean the engine did not seem tight. FP40s and the like could be tuned to get the Prowler to work. Plenty of power. On the other hand, the Tucker and Pathfinder look good. Perhaps the engine I was running was not broken in. Prowler was porky. 46 ounces. No need to be that heavy. The old Enyas were used in race events at one time. Team race? When profile racing happens in our area, always a few folks asking for old Enyas. Guess they're powerful when compared to their contemporaries.

Hi Denis,

Here the Enya SS40 has proven to be quite stronger than 46LA and FP40. I tested the Enya SS45 with my 66oz Blue Max and it worked amazingly well with plenty of authority. I see no reason I could not do the same with an Enya SS40 and fly my thick wing BlueMax.

Your SS40 is probably not fully broken-in  or you did not set it up right. The Enya have higher timing than OS and it does not work well with 6 pitch props. 

I suggest you put your SS40 through the Second Break In Phase I described above.

Enya ships the SS40 with a 7.0mm venturi, but they sell 7.5, 8.0 and 8.5mm venturi for it. An Enya SS40 with an 8.5mm optional venturi and an APC 12x4 in 2-2-2 will power a 60 size model with a Fantastic Result!

Bill Draper of England using an Enya SS40 won many European Championships and got 9th place at the World Championship.

Martin

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 04:54:03 AM by Martin Quartim »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here