News:

• May 07, 2024, 06:40:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why I don't compete in any contests  (Read 7111 times)

Offline aba183210

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Why I don't compete in any contests
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:55:27 PM »
I have noted that there is a lot of emphasis on competing in all of the aeromodeling aspects, but I have realized since I was a kid that competition is not for me.

I am learning to stunt a control line model not to be in OTS or PAMPA or similar contests. First of all, I could practice all I could but when it's contest time I simply crumble and make lots of errors despite prior practice. I view contests not as places to mingle and socialize or things like that. For me these are like graded examinations, and examinations make me extremely anxious. And I fly for fun and not for stress-and being graded by a panel of judges while stunting really makes me stressed.

So, why am I learning to stunt? Just for the personal satisfaction of being able to say that I learned to fly stunt-a personal achievement. Besides, I like to fly in complete solitude and in places besides official AMA fields. This is why I fly DLG and electric CL-both of these can be done this way. You could fly an electric baby Ringmaster in a large parking lot since it does not require a large space and it's quiet. And flying CL where I am is a great way to fly alone-frequently I am the only one flying this kind of plane in the entire flying field. The rest are flying RC.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Why I don't compete in any contests
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:17:33 PM »
   You know, that's perfectly understandable and I'm sure your are not alone. If you like being around and watching, you may think about doing some judging at local contests and at the NATS level. Some of the best judges that I respected the most, I never ever saw fly a pattern! But they understood and loved the event and that was their way of contributing and with out them there would be no NATS I think. I believe many would agree with me. I like flying by myself also, and do some free flight. In fact, it's calm outside, a street light on the cul-de sac, and an AMA Racer ready to fly in my garage! Time to find my stooge and winder!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 08:24:10 PM »
I was just thinking that Mr. aba has missed a lot...meeting a lot of fine folks and sharing tall tales and learning so much faster!
If that's not PC enough, it is what it is. When I was younger (i.e., 5 years ago!), I liked the "road trip" and going to contests in places far, far away. That and getting together after a day's flying and relax over some good chow and a beer or maybe two.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 09:13:28 PM »
fortunatly there is room for all in the hobby we love.
for me, if it were not for competition I likely would not be flying control line.
I fly at a feild where most of the people have never been to a contest to observe let alone compete and thats fine.
They are perfectly happy to go out and burn fuel, hang out and bore holes in the sky.
They are having fun and that what this is about.
They watch me put in 5 or 6 flights in a row, doing the same pattern eery time and wonder how I can enjoy it. What they cant see is the pleasure, or frustration when I finally figure out some quirk I have been fighting,,
For me, the fun is in practicing, learning and advancing my skill to be able to get a quantatative measure of my progress a couple times a year.
but like I say, its each to their own, room for us all.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 10:06:52 PM »
Yea , the differance between it and Motorcycle races is you look down your nose and sneer at most of the competition ( Er , THATS wot thyr doin ! )
Suss out the Fast Bikes , Suss Out the Fast Riders , Suss out the ' Loose Units ' to give a wide berth . And Ignore EVERYTHING but the Flag ,
Then Get on It. ( The Twisty Thing on the Rt Bar .

Remaining Aloof & Focused are pretty much the same thing . And Its GOOD having Nothing Coming the Other Way , and No Cops .
But You still need your Brain Engaged monitering everthing . But  Essentially its hard not to enjoy it ( Classic Racing ) on a Hot Motorcycle .
Youre very focused On the Track . The other copetitors are Obstacles ! .

Theres an awful lot of peripheral THINGS going on at a C/L comp.  Biggest Bugbear is no posted ' start times ' Per Competitor, to me .

Motorcycles really the biggest competition is YOURSELF . You have to Ride your own Race, Stunts a bit like that , But I find theres a lot of distractions.

NOT TO WORRY . If your wondering how your doing , a camera fixed at the Judging Position is usually fairly unbiased .

Id got into this as relaxation . Last thing Id Ive Wanted to do is get mixed up in Model Aeroplane Comps .
If your good with vehicals Id Think in N>Z> Motor Racing would be less investment. Time & Money , in your into historic stuff .
BEFORE the SPECULATORS got into using the vehicals as investments . But Still  one mans trash is anothers treasure .

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 10:24:54 PM »
If it weren't for contests, I'd never fly at all. I don't have time for weekly practices or anything (and it shows!), but I still pack up and hit a few contests each year just to be be around it.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 11:39:49 PM »
Hi aba,
This hobby has so much to offer. Some like yourself, enjoy the learning experience that can be had by learning to fly a control line model airplane without crashing. As one learns how to "fly" a plane and ‘control it rather than it controlling you’ can also bring much satisfaction. Learning to put a kit together or modify a kit can also bring much joy. Then, there is scratch building your own model and learning how to put a finish that you can be proud of, this can be a source of great accomplishment.

It’s really a matter of progression and how far you would like to go in this hobby. Part of the progression can be competition. Competition can also be used to measure your progress. Again, some like yourself, for whatever reason, prefer not to mingle or socialize and go it alone. And that’s fine. Whatever you choose ---- enjoy it!

I was introduced to this hobby when I was 10 years old and had the help of many individuals along the way through my teenage years and into my early 20's. As I learned how to fly and could do what I wanted the plane to do --- it was a blast! Then some older ones were competing in various contests and would take me along to watch. What I saw at a contest back in the mid 60's to the early 70's was amazing. After seeing a contest, I asked how can I do that? Again, many individual came to my aid. Mind you, as a kid, I didn't have much money and my parents could barely put food on the table. But the help I received to get started competing was more than I ever expected. I have always been a competitive person, be it baseball, football, or tiddlywinks, it doesn't matter, I want to do my best.

I started competing in my mid-teens and enjoyed it very much. Then work, marriage, raising and caring for a family changed all that. Now in my 60's, retired, with all my kids grown and out of the house, I've enjoyed getting back into this marvelous hobby. It wasn't long for the competition bug to bit me once more. But it's different now. In the 60's & 70's control line model airplanes seemed to be everywhere. It wasn't difficult to find a school yard and have several individuals go out and fly on the weekends.

Now I access to a soccer field that I can go out in morning during the middle of the week to fly, but now I'm flying by myself. Gone are the hobby shops, model airplane clubs and as well as the old flying sites that we use to enjoy. I miss the days of having several friends and planes show up and we would fly all afternoon.

Getting involved in competing (or spectating) brings some of that back. It keeps you in touch with those who still have a passion for the great hobby that are more than happy to "give the shirt off their backs".

But I also like to torture myself. When competing there’s no better feeling that to be nervous, the excitement, the adrenaline rush - it makes you feel alive! And when you mess up – learn from it!  ;)

Enjoy

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 08:32:59 AM »
I have noted that there is a lot of emphasis on competing in all of the aeromodeling aspects, but I have realized since I was a kid that competition is not for me.

Perhaps you might look for any "CL Fun Fly" events in your area.  Here in the NW we are finding that the Fun events are drawing those that almost never enter a contest.  It appears that these non-competitive people are having a great time just getting together.  Give it a try!
Joe

I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 10:13:42 AM »
Hi there.  I'm like you, I am NOT competition oriented in any way and I fly alone.  I do wish I had others to fly with, but that will not happen so I fly alone.  Sometimes the wife will come along out of sympathy though! LL~

I have always enjoyed going to competitions though.  I volunteer to do whatever I can to help out, get to meet the guys and even do a little flying after the competition is over.  I have a lot of fun doing that, but its only once a year. 

We who have to fly alone must learn to get whatever enjoyment we can out of the hobby and it sounds like you have found your niche. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 10:20:38 AM »
Personally I have enjoyed the accountabilty factor of competing. I don't compete in many things at this age and having gotten back into the hobby a couple of years ago and this time truly working on and learning and flying the pattern has given me a goal. Then you get to go see how you can present it and get a gut check on how you do in competition with nerves and excitement.
Priceless bring home an award. My wife thought there were cash prizes. Haaaaa
But if just flying for fun and your own thrills is what grooves and moves you...then that is what you should do.
It is all about choices.
Fly  on and keep enjoying it. Don't let it taint.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »
Aba

I can relate.... I used to deliberately compete in combat as a young man but when I "came back to CL flying" in my late 50s I seemed to remember the stress and frustration of being poor and not really competitive in that sport....I also remembered the laughter and great fun of just flying school yard antics after school and weekends

Re-living my youth I deliberately decided to not explore competitive combat or stunt

I also am a CL flyier of one in a 50 mile radius

I fly C/L to relive my youth ---and have fun---- with the ability to giggle if I perform a PERFECT Figure 9....making a model become "one with the earth"...re-kitting is a oft used term.... on my re-kitting efforts, I have never found the resultant pile of balsa to resemble anything looking like a KIT...grin

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 10:42:50 AM »
Why I DO compete in contests: Someone has to be cannon fodder.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 11:57:21 AM »
I've only been to one contest.
Fun, but I would rather fly more than twice.
In my opinion, what would be GREAT, is to have a TRAINING DAY where the more veteran stunt contest pilots help the novices....
Not sure if that has ever been tried, but I hear a lot of bellyaching about the wane of C/L pilots....

Maybe a beginner-intermediate only contest with tutelage from advanced and expert pilots, and 4-5 flights per entrant would cause some interest.

For me, right now, a fun fly with more flights is the way to go. If I get anything less than 4 flights in at a flying session, I feel like I am not moving forward (and there is a lot of room ahead of me).

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 12:10:45 PM »
Most model aviation practitioners are sport flyers by a large margin. Same as in a lot of sports like cycling. The VAST majority of cyclists are recreational riders. If the cycling industry had to depend solely on competitive cyclists for revenue, it would collapse overnight.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »
Most model aviation practitioners are sport flyers by a large margin. Same as in a lot of sports like cycling. The VAST majority of cyclists are recreational riders. If the cycling industry had to depend solely on competitive cyclists for revenue, it would collapse overnight.

That's all true, but also true that competition drives the advances in cycling...and also in model aeroplanes. Be very happy that we aren't still trying to start spark ignition engines...not that there's anything wrong with going (back) down that path if you wish.

If you don't want to compete yourself, it would be really cool to help others run a contest. CD's are getting old and tired of the hassle in our club. What really burns my butt is having to do all the sanction application and post-contest reporting by email. I'd much rather lick a stamp and throw it in the box. Not my cup of tea!   n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »
Since it is a FORUM and this is a conversation...

I am bored today waiting paint to dry on a Ring Master Fuselage

So I asked myself, what would have motivated Aba to feel compelled to declare his enjoyment of the hobby. I suspect one or more acquaintances has commented about competition flying

I have a few in my circle of acquaintances---- and some times---- I get the feeling they think you re not a real modeler or pilot UNLESS you build your own model, compete, learn more, and advance your skill set striving for the perfect pattern, 0.09 second kill, or 125 MPH laps

I even know a few who are derisive of my desire to play with a ARF, or build non scale/non perfect finish and just fly for fun

I do NOT intend to assign these behaviors to any particular person, or even any group of competitive flyers...

BUT it seems to me:
I have never met a sport flyer who tried to convert a competitive flyer to sport ONLY flying.

I try to avoid people who insist Their way is the ONLY way> They tend to have a subtle way to try to make me feel inferior for MY WAY

Like I said, bored and simply pontificating....cuz I can

PS;

I respect and admire the competitive folks in our hobby...they strive to have exceptional equipment and skills and we all learn from their efforts....but the VERY few with "nose in the air" or "Holier than Thou" persona tend to be annoying...
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »
I know in R/C that most are sport flyers. I have always wondered how many control line flyers there are out there that never enter a contest or even show up at one. I flew control line for several years before switching to R/C pattern because that is what my buddies were flying. I flew R/C pattern competition from 70 to 94. I started flying control line again in 93 and dropped out of R/C pattern all together. I still fly a little R/C but not competition. When I started flying control line I was only going to do it for fun. But since I live in the boonies I started going to contests just to be around other like minded people. (birds of a feather).

I started making friends and began competing just for fun. I had two fields to fly from within 4 miles from my house which really helped to learn to fly the pattern and practice. I had no one to coach me but feel I had some natural talent and could coach myself for as good as I could do. But I still get a kick out of getting together with a few other flyers and just flying with no pressure to win or lose and no judges except the other flyers there at the time. But I also like the competition at times and enjoy seeing how I compare with others. I do have a room full of trophies in both R/C and control line. But I think it is the comraderie of the flyers at any given contest that makes it great no matter how you do. VSC is still my favorite all time contest as I love the setting, and my great love is Old Time and mostly ignition.

Now I have lost both of my flying fields and have to drive 57 miles round trip to fly at the R/C field which does have a great control line circle.
I usually like to fly at least 15 or 20 flights right before a contest just to build my confidence in my plane and engine runs, and confidence in myself that I can do good. Now it is really hard to accomplish that goal and I am sort of frustrated as far as flying competition again.
I also have some back problems that limit how long I can stand in the circle before my left leg loses all feeling and I get sever back pain.

So I have not flown much over the last year and a half. But I still love the flying and this message board has been a real blessing. It keeps my interest up to the point that I have not given up completely, and hope that things will get better to where I can fly more again. It may only be sport flying with my ignition planes, but that would be better than nothing. I can always short tank them to fly for about 5 minutes and land before my back kills me.

So I may be joining the ranks of the sport flyers. There must be a lot of them out there that we never hear about.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:06:09 PM by Jim Kraft »
Jim Kraft

Online FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 01:24:35 PM »
Where I live, lack of decent flying weather most of the year means I can't practice much.  Without lots of practice, my contest performance isn't up to par ("par" being what the average contestant is doing).  My former home, in CA gave me plenty of practice weather, and so I was much sharper back then.

It's frustrating driving to the field, only to get rained on, or blown out of the sky.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
Fortunately Control Line Flying is one of the sports you can do alone or with some friends without being competitive in any way and still have a lot of enjoyment doing it.

I started flying and competing when I was 11 years old in 1951.  Since then I've won some and lost some but wouldn't change a minute of the time spent flying...like the old adage says...the worst day flying is better than the best day working...or doing most anything else!  Especially when the alternative is "Honey Do's".

I compete in the expert class where I have little chance of winning anything anymore, but realize it takes a first place and last place to make a horse race!  I tell myself that makes last place is just as important as first place...  LL~ LL~ LL~

For me the most fun in competition is in the preparation...building, flying, trimming, and the satisfaction of knowing that you can do something that most folks can't and don't even understand!

Competition, even at the highest levels, is really just pitting You against Yourself.  That makes it just as much fun as flying alone...for me a lot more!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 05:17:25 PM »
yes flying alone can be rewarding and fun.  If that floats you boat OK. 

But consider this.  At most contests only a small number will actually be in it to win.  The rest are there to be with friends and fly a little.   

For me, I hate when I get stuck on something dumb like poor engine runs ( pinhole in fuel line) the warp I cant see.  The things another set of eyes will help with.
Also seeing an airplane that really works well lets me know if my setup is working. he has fox 35 and it doesn't stutter on outsides? Why does mine?

You can get some help, make some friends and learn something. 

Local contest in most places are really hurting for participants. 
Local contest are very low key.  It's like a fun fly with a score card.
So they won't look down your nose if things go badly, you may get all kinds of help so they don't go badly. 

And once the contests go away, they won't come back.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 05:49:22 PM »

Good Grief, choosing to fly in contests or choosing not to fly in contests

is something that does not need to be justified!   ::)

Tony

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 05:50:29 PM »
I would guess that there is a sizeable group of flyers that you never hear from or even know exist.  For example we have twenty some odd members in our club and they all fly but only one flies in contests and he competes in Expert.  The rest show up and just fly for the fun of it.  They also do not participate in this forum or any other forum so unless you were in my club, you would never even know they exist.  I would think that most clubs are like that.There are also facebook pages that have a sizeable membership, many from overseas, that are not on forums either.  At last count there were several thousand members of this forum but you just see posts from a tiny fraction of the membership and mostly from the same people over and over.  This is not unusual but I would venture to say that there are a lot more folks with a plane hanging in their garage that just fly it occasionally than there are regular contest flyers or what you might call "hard core" participants.

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 05:51:54 PM »

Tony

I certainly agree Tony.   Kinda like flying our kites... y1 y1

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2016, 06:59:35 PM »
I'm flying in a contest here next week...and I have high hopes of winning   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Probably the best, most unbiased explanation I've heard is this: Flying competition and flying for sport are both fun, but they're different kinds of fun.  Building, finishing, polishing, practicing, and competing at the Nat's is one end of the fun spectrum.  It brings a feeling of accomplishment that some people get absolutely and hopelessly hooked on.  Going to the field with a couple of Skyray 35s and flying the pants off of them for no reason other than the sheer thrill is on the other end of that fun spectrum.  

I think in order to get the most enjoyment out of modeling, you have to determine what point in the scale you fall on.  Some people are way off to one side or the other.  Some people yo-yo back and fourth.  A lot of people find a place somewhere in the middle.

I like flying in the last 30 minutes of daylight when the air is as smooth as glass.  I also like the mild and good-hearted trash talking at contests.  It's all fun to me.

Aba- Great to meet another glider-chucker!  I got into (or got BACK into, depending how you look at it) FF when I was stationed at Ft Carson a few years back.  Same rules apply!

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2016, 07:01:31 PM »

is something that does not need to be justified!   ::)

Tony

I don't think anyone here is trying to "Justify" anything just discussing the pros and cons of two different attitudes.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that.  It's one of the things that makes life worthwhile!  

Discussing different points of view is one of the things that makes any "forum" worthwhile.  There's actually a lot to learn in such discussion.

It always seems like discussion irritates some folks and their reaction is to "shut it down".  I definitely do not understand that attitude.  Can someone explain it?

Randy Cuberly

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:15:57 AM by Randy Cuberly »
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2016, 07:04:09 PM »
I'm flying in a contest here next week...and I have high hopes of winning   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Probably the best, most unbiased explanation I've heard is this: Flying competition and flying for sport are both fun, but they're different kinds of fun.  Building, finishing, polishing, practicing, and competing at the Nat's is one end of the fun spectrum.  It brings a feeling of accomplishment that some people get absolutely and hopelessly hooked on.  Going to the field with a couple of Skyray 35s and flying the pants off of them for no reason other than the sheer thrill is on the other end of that fun spectrum.  

I think in order to get the most enjoyment out of modeling, you have to determine what point in the scale you fall on.  Some people are way off to one side or the other.  Some people yo-yo back and fourth.  A lot of people find a place somewhere in the middle.

I like flying in the last 30 minutes of daylight when the air is as smooth as glass.  I also like the mild and good-hearted trash talking at contests.  It's all fun to me.

Aba- Great to meet another glider-chucker!  I got into (or got BACK into, depending how you look at it) FF when I was stationed at Ft Carson a few years back.  Same rules apply!

Great post Sean!  A lot of understanding in it!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »
Great post Sean, I agree with Randy and I am a living example of one of those guys who went from competition, to sometimes competing, to not competing but going to a contest occasionally to visit and now to just playing and building when I feel like it.  Now I have developed a desire to fly stunt kites and I suspect my models may gather a little dust.  Its all good and its all fun.  That's the important word...fun.

Mike

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2016, 10:22:51 PM »
I don't think anyone here is trying to "Justify" anything just discussing the pros and cons of two different attitudes.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that.  It's one of the things that makes life worthwhile!  

Discussing different points of view is one of the things that makes any "forum" worthwhile.  There's actually a lot to learn in such discussion.

It always seems like discussion irritates some folks and their reaction is to "shut it down".  I definitely do not understand that attitude.  Can someone explain it?

Randy Cuberly

I can't explain it, but I do not like it....
It's simply a discussion. Like contests, if you aren't interested at all, just don't enter.

My point was that since C/L seems to be dying a bit with some of the participants being older, maybe the way to get more attendance in beginner through intermediate is to have the experts help tune/teach/coach one on one for a beginner and intermediate only contest (if there would be enough interest).
Maybe that would get more sport flyers that are "on the fence" involved.
We did this semi-successfully in SoCal a few years back in F3F (Sailplane slope racing) to help with the same problem-attendance.
We made the events a tuning and technique clinic, and the fast guys didn't fly, just helped the newbies.
It was fun on both sides.

R,
Chris
PS. I see you Aba at Whittier Narrows. You can fly your electric ringmaster with the bigger planes at the same circle anytime you want.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 08:20:10 AM »

Tony

Didn't realize the requirements for posting a thread was so stringent!!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2016, 11:55:43 AM »
Now you tell me there are requirements for posting on a thread!!!!  I am one of the guys that did good in local contests and learned a lot.  Back then for me it was racing, carrier and some combat.   But combat rules changing turned me off when I couldn't start my own engine back then.   I still like racing, but my best pilot does not have time any more and it got to bee too expensive.  Carrier is my fun event.   No I'm not competitive any more, but fly once in a great while.  I started flying stunt to bolster the local events and I could practice by my self.   I have many friends and learned a lot from competition flying.  I miss going to the NATS and VSC as well as the other contests within driving distance.   East coast flyers don't think of a 12 hour drive as local.  I won't go into the reasons as some will say it is too political as it has been down hill since retirement. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 06:11:38 PM »

Randy Cuberly

Hmmm,   It would seem that my observation has irritated you, which you may or may not justify as you wish....  H^^

Tony

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2016, 07:53:43 PM »
I never got good enough to enter a contest, hence why never entered, but might be game for a fun fly like a balloon bust.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2016, 10:02:33 PM »
Hmmm,   It would seem that my observation has irritated you, which you may or may not justify as you wish....  H^^

Tony

I've re-read my post several times and don't see anything in it that indicates that I was irritated.  Puzzled maybe but definitely not irritated.

In contrast both of your posts seem irritated.  I was asking someone to explain why...it would seem that you can't explain it either.

What I said is that Discussion is a very good thing, it clears the air and voices opinions that everyone may not have considered.

Your post sounded as if you simply believe this thread to be a waste of time.  Too bad.  Without discussion no one knows what the other guy cherishes or doesn't like.  That's sometimes what starts fights and even wars.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 10:18:33 PM »
I'll add my 2 cents. I am 49 years old and have been flying control line since I was 5. I flew all those years as a sport flyer, never once entering a contest. I had watched a few stunt and combat contests over the years but never entered. All the guys I fly with here are just sport flyers. Then in 2012 a couple of guys showed up at our field with combat gear.  They had found us through the Local Hobby Shop. They both flew combat but one interested in stunt as well. Two great things happened that summer. The first was that myself and one of the guys would learn the beginner pattern and go to the Paducah Contest that August. That is exactly what we did and we were warmly welcomed by Alan Brickhaus and all the people there. We were total noobs when it came to CL Stunt and I'm sure that we made many mistakes but no one was anything but helpful. They were happy to see some new blood. Alan was especially helpful giving us tips and encouragement. This laid the groundwork for me to want to enter more contests. I had a blast. The second great thing that happened that year is that these fellows offered to teach me how to fly combat. I had always wanted to do it but just never gotten around to it. One Sunday Chad showed up with 3 old foamie combat wings and gave them to me. They told me how to set up the planes, taught me about running engines on bladders and best of all got in the circle with me and flew matches. Well I built a fleet of foamies and was off to Huntersville to fly in my first ever combat contest that fall. I did not win but I sure had fun. I am so glad I started competing, its great to share this hobby with other people. My 7 year old now goes with me to every contest and has even flown in 3 contests himself. Bottom line is its never too late to start and I wish I had started years ago. I've missed a lot of fun.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2016, 05:15:06 AM »
The objective of most hobbies is to have fun,so if not competing  is your bag just enjoy what you do. For me though, competing makes me a better flyer and builder. I enjoy going up against the other guys and see how well I can do. This weekend I have a stunt contest in New Jersey and can't wait to get out to the field today and practice my cloverleafs and overhead eights! Cheers ,PhillySkip

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2016, 05:58:50 PM »
I've re-read my post several times and don't see anything in it that indicates that I was irritated.  Puzzled maybe but definitely not irritated.

In contrast both of your posts seem irritated.  I was asking someone to explain why...it would seem that you can't explain it either.

What I said is that Discussion is a very good thing, it clears the air and voices opinions that everyone may not have considered.

Your post sounded as if you simply believe this thread to be a waste of time.  Too bad.  Without discussion no one knows what the other guy cherishes or doesn't like.  That's sometimes what starts fights and even wars.

Randy Cuberly

Well Randy, let me try to defuse this sub thread.  First of all, I'm delighted to read that you weren't irritated; but I may have been a bit; however, not with you.

I read what seemed to be justifications for individual's actions.  I don't need to know why anyone competes or doesn't compete.  I'm sure whatever direction

the modeler takes, it's based on joy and fulfillment.  I don't believe I've ever asked a modeler why they build and or fly the kind of model they have.

That is getting into asking for their motivation.  I'll bet most modelers on this forum do not know me. Well I'm a 74 year old guy that has been building and

flying(or trying to in the beginning) since I was three years old(1944).  I've flown for the  vicarious joy and for the competitive spirit, beginning in 1949.

I had really competitive hot streaks and years of non modeling. I'll leave it at that. So to sum it up, I know that everyone on this forum builds and fly's

for their personal joy...Good for all of you;  ;D

Tony

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2016, 06:47:27 PM »
not sure that "justify" is the proper term, well I can say its definetly not the proper term regarding me. I just wanted to share why I do what I do, because it only makes sense if you know why,, its not justification, my justification is in my brain, and when I wiggle the handle,, not when I type words
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2016, 09:39:18 PM »
If you just don't want to go to contests, that's just fine.

But, I will say that it took me 40 years to figure out that you go to contests to have fun and maybe to challenge yourself to get better, not to win.  I missed out on a lot of fun between ages 10 and 50.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2016, 06:48:20 AM »
I think there is a personal satisfaction in being able to stand and deliver. I find flying alone to be a hollow experience. I understand that in the beginning there is a fascination with the physics but sooner or later you're gonna' want someone to see how cool you are.

MM 

Offline aba183210

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »
Perhaps the reason control line flying is not as prevalent as it was in the past has to do with the many things that have come to keep people entertained since CL was born.

We now have RTF radio control aircraft, the Internet, smartphones, video games, social media, etc, etc, etc. Where I am, smartphones and social apps and the latest video games tend to take kids away from aeromodeling, which can be very expensive.

Where I am, I have noted that kids do know what RC is, but when you mention the concept of control line and what it is, many think that it's boring to just go around in circles going nowhere, plus they don't want to get dizzy.

Where I am, RC people tend to vastly outnumber CL people. The day the most people show up for CL at Whittier Narrows is on Friday. What I have seen the most is combat flying, followed by stunt, and speed. I have also seen a few racing pilots. The big triumvirate, then, is Combat, Stunt, and Speed at Whittier Narrows.

There are days where there are absolutely no CL pilots at all (I know because I also fly my DLG there and there are no CL pilots showing up for days).

There is also the concept of instant gratification. Now the thing is RTF, BNF, PNP stuff. Building is now rare. And as we know, many good CL planes require building from kits. Things have really changed in the hobby. If it weren't for flying ECL, I wouldn't have tried CL, since glow fuel makes me ill (the fumes, that is).

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2016, 06:20:02 AM »
I suspect that many of the people who go to Brodaks Fly-In consider themselves as going to a Fun-Fly more than going there to compete.  Most of us are putting in a couple of practice flights, but spending most of our time with buddies that we get to see just once a year - at Brodaks!  For a lot of us it is a social, not a competitive, event.  I do feel bad for the people who don't go because "it's a competition".  There is a lot more there than just competition.  Where else could you go to see two jet stunters flying the stunt pattern in formation?

Offline jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2016, 12:53:10 PM »

I am learning to stunt a control line model not to be in OTS or PAMPA or similar contests. First of all, I could practice all I could but when it's contest time I simply crumble and make lots of errors despite prior practice. I view contests not as places to mingle and socialize or things like that. For me these are like graded examinations, and examinations make me extremely anxious. And I fly for fun and not for stress-and being graded by a panel of judges while stunting really makes me stressed.

So, why am I learning to stunt? Just for the personal satisfaction of being able to say that I learned to fly stunt-a personal achievement. Besides, I like to fly in complete solitude and in places besides official AMA fields. This is why I fly DLG and electric CL-both of these can be done this way. You could fly an electric baby Ringmaster in a large parking lot since it does not require a large space and it's quiet. And flying CL where I am is a great way to fly alone-frequently I am the only one flying this kind of plane in the entire flying field. The rest are flying RC.

I want to first start by saying I totally understand you. I'm the same way, and i'm the only one in my town that does fly control line. There are places a couple hours away, but that doesn't work for me. I fly fun. I build my own, and really can't afford to compete even if I wanted too.  Just wanted to say I can relate.  I was born this way, I wish I was more out going, but I am the way I am. Just go fly and have some fun.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2016, 03:20:15 PM »
That is what it's all about, having fun.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »
For me the idea of competition just adds stress to an otherwise relaxing activity.  I have watched a few contests and really enjoyed seeing them. Just don't want to enter one. When I do get to fly it's usually almost alone. I like to have a friend or family member along to help launch and for company. I'm perfectly content to design, build, fly, and crash without much of an audience. If I wanted to empress someone with CL I'd try to take them to a contest where they could see some real quality planes and pilots. I do wish I had more time and money for the sport. I'd probably fly more and I'd probably go to more contests as an observer or even volunteer to help if the opportunity presented itself.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here