News:

• April 23, 2024, 04:57:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why can't we?  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Why can't we?
« on: June 23, 2018, 06:20:30 PM »
  Went to see my parents today, Mom was watching ESPN2's coverage of the "American Cornhole League" national championship. REALLY? How  the heck do we get some National exposure? It was sponsored by Johnsville. Maybe we need a corporate sponsor. I mean come on they're throwing bean bags into a hole  for gosh sakes!
Later
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Why can't we?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
Steven
I saw the same thing and had the same reaction.  I was going to post here too.  Actually, team race filmed at the right angle is really exciting to watch, even by non modelers.  At one of the Russian WC, a US traveler (can't remember his name) filmed most of the final races from the judges stand.  Really great.  The last WC tr final, if filmed at a little elevation would have been fantastic, great though as it was filmed.  Combat, would need some slo-mo effects to make viable.  Stunt would work, but 6 minutes is past the average attention span ..... , would need some editing.  Most RC competition is too far away to be good viewing.  AMA could, but ...... the WC at Muncie in 2004, ...... well none of the hotel, motel, restaurant, people knew what going on ..... a missed opportunity ......
Oh, by the way, it was the women's national Cornhole championships.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
i saw the end of mens doubles and a match in the mens singles(loser bracket). i'm assuming the womens match was more exciting because they still compete in swim suits.LOL
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 08:56:27 PM »
I think it'd be all in how it was presented / Comentator .

cant stand the hysterical F1 blather .
A measured thingo , a bit of background on entrants . ( Where theyre from , where theyre aiming , their chances & issues theyre battling , to give it a bit of personal / interaction .

Well have to rope Shrug Emery in to do it , Just think of the money he'd make . A National Icon to come ! .

Highlights and developing the personal challenges / interplay would give it some depth .

Just a pity theres not the computerised flight path recording bit , could work that for real drama & suspense .

NOW , if somebody knocked together a ' PILOT ' episode , . . .  the olde sports presenter programe wotsits would have somewhere to go with it . . .

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 04:47:04 AM »
As a 'sport' stunt flier, competition stunt routines are, for me, as boring as hell to watch! For an outsider watching TR and combat, these are unpredictable, there is jeopardy and short matches so quite watchable, stunt on the other hand is 'slow' with a boring droning soundtrack, doing the same stunts over and over again interspersed  with laps of dull as ditchwater plain level flight!

If you want people to watch, you've got to change either the format or the spectacle otherwise don't bother!

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 05:37:19 AM »
Combat!!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 06:03:15 AM »
  Went to see my parents today, Mom was watching ESPN2's coverage of the "American Cornhole League" national championship. REALLY? How  the heck do we get some National exposure? It was sponsored by Johnsville. Maybe we need a corporate sponsor. I mean come on they're throwing bean bags into a hole  for gosh sakes!

I assure you, a bunch of middle-aged to elderly men flying airplanes round and round in a circle seems just as absurd , or more so,  as tossing beanbags into a hole to the general public. There are probably 5x more people playing cornhole than there are model airplane fliers, total.

The quick answer is that there are probably 100x people playing cornhole as there are flying CL, and it is a common activity among tailgaters where cooking Brats is also a routine activity, so they have a ridiculous sport with a funny (not to mention suggestive) name. 

Not to mention that CL in general is almost impossible to explain to the public, and even among the participants, CL Aerobatics tends to be quite boring. If I didn't know all the likely competitors and the excruciating details of how it works, i would quickly get bored with it, too, and change the channel. It is completely unrelatable. Anyone can grasp the concept of cornhole, it's a simplified version of horseshoes that you can set up in a parking lot. It takes no special knowledge or exotic equipment and it either goes in the hole, or not.

People in model airplanes (or old radio restoration, or model rockets, or collecting Mason jars*) are fascinated with their own activity for whatever reason, but tend to lose perspective completely because of their enthusiasm. And they frequently fail to understand why it is not endlessly fascinating to other people, and even get put out when someone else - or in this case, everyone else - dismisses it as trivial. And sometimes take offense at it.

Brett

*Phil Granderson and I were packing up stuff after some Nationals, and the Signature Inn was filling up with a Mason Jar collector's convention. Walking down the halls, there were a bunch of the doors blocked open, with signs for "The so-and-so Collection" directing people in, where they had set up displays of their Mason Jars along the desk area, completely with little paper labels with stuff like "1921 quart Ball Jar, rare double-bail retention". There was a seminar going on the the lobby where they were discussing the production change and how to identify the production line a particular jar was made in the 1900-1920 range, with people taking notes. Phil and I, big-shot stunt heroes, both National Champions, look at each other and say, walking away, something like "what the hell, that's the silliest thing I have seen". I am carrying a box of 4 $500 engine pipe assemblies with about 20 $54 propellors from Australia, preparing for a 3-day, all-day-long, 2400 mile drive to California. 

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 07:43:04 AM »
    I assure you, a bunch of middle-aged to elderly men flying airplanes round and round in a circle seems just as absurd , or more so,  as tossing beanbags into a hole to the general public. There are probably 5x more people playing cornhole than there are model airplane fliers, total.

The quick answer is that there are probably 100x people playing cornhole as there are flying CL, and it is a common activity among tailgaters where cooking Brats is also a routine activity, so they have a ridiculous sport with a funny (not to mention suggestive) name. 

Not to mention that CL in general is almost impossible to explain to the public, and even among the participants, CL Aerobatics tends to be quite boring. If I didn't know all the likely competitors and the excruciating details of how it works, i would quickly get bored with it, too, and change the channel. It is completely unrelatable. Anyone can grasp the concept of cornhole, it's a simplified version of horseshoes that you can set up in a parking lot. It takes no special knowledge or exotic equipment and it either goes in the hole, or not.

People in model airplanes (or old radio restoration, or model rockets, or collecting Mason jars*) are fascinated with their own activity for whatever reason, but tend to lose perspective completely because of their enthusiasm. And they frequently fail to understand why it is not endlessly fascinating to other people, and even get put out when someone else - or in this case, everyone else - dismisses it as trivial. And sometimes take offense at it.

Brett

*Phil Granderson and I were packing up stuff after some Nationals, and the Signature Inn was filling up with a Mason Jar collector's convention. Walking down the halls, there were a bunch of the doors blocked open, with signs for "The so-and-so Collection" directing people in, where they had set up displays of their Mason Jars along the desk area, completely with little paper labels with stuff like "1921 quart Ball Jar, rare double-bail retention". There was a seminar going on the the lobby where they were discussing the production change and how to identify the production line a particular jar was made in the 1900-1920 range, with people taking notes. Phil and I, big-shot stunt heroes, both National Champions, look at each other and say, walking away, something like "what the hell, that's the silliest thing I have seen". I am carrying a box of 4 $500 engine pipe assemblies with about 20 $54 propellors from Australia, preparing for a 3-day, all-day-long, 2400 mile drive to California. 

Brett,  you really should write a book.  Your perspective on this hobby is enlightening.

Mike

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 08:32:39 AM »
We are a bunch of old guys who still play with toy airplanes.
THAT is what the public sees.
We are zeuglodons and nothing is gonna change that.

Online Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 08:45:05 AM »

%^@ LL~  Speak for yourself .... I'm only 69!  LL~ LL~ LL~   .... just a tender young Pteradactyl  LL~ H^^

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 12:48:56 PM »
%^@ LL~  Speak for yourself .... I'm only 69!  LL~ LL~ LL~   .... just a tender young Pteradactyl  LL~ H^^

Jim.........you are compared to me...........I just turned 78, just 5 days ago.......yep, just another old guy playing with model airplanes and lovin it !      D>K      H^^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 03:46:09 PM »
In this old man's pinion Balloon burst was the spectator event years ago.   My Dad loved to watch combat and racing only when I was pitting an airplane.   As stated stunt/precision aerobatics got boring. HB~>
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 04:00:54 PM »
I need a tee shirt like that...

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 06:33:34 PM »

And another one to think about, there are a lot of people making a lot of money sitting around a table and playing cards on TV. To me, about the only thing more pathetic than that are the people who actually tune in to watch.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 11:28:08 AM »
I made my first TV appearance flying stunt in Topeka Ks. The guy on the ground is from the TV station, and I was on the evening news. Now I are now a control line celebrity. I got plenty of exposure. But no one called. Rats.
Jim Kraft

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 11:33:37 AM »
I made my first TV appearance flying stunt in Topeka Ks. The guy on the ground is from the TV station, and I was on the evening news. Now I are now a control line celebrity. I got plenty of exposure. But no one called. Rats.

I have done a several of these segments (Tucson and Madera/Fresno, and one for the AMA. Same thing, it came on TV (edited heavily) we got our contact information plugs in, not a peep afterward. I even worked in a VSC plug, that ended up making it to the air.

Brett

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 07:41:32 PM »
Well, you guys aren't babes.  Maybe if you were babes you'd get more calls....

Tom Vieira

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 05:38:21 AM »
could always start with a youtube channel, show that it could draw a crowd....  probably how the cornholers did it.  but, people often play when they are a bit....fuzzy... (at least I do), so when you're at a bar and watch it buzzed, you get in to it!  I'm sure there's some sort of psycho-babble that goes with that.

now bocce, there's a real sport!

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 02:05:44 PM »
With Net Neutrality gone and the mergers of all the major player AND more and more Millions every year gettting ENTERTAINMENT acrross every platform including Alexa Show

I am an 1970s computer nerd building a Timex Sinclair from some magazine recipe... now at 63 I have a compound of 2.5 acres, 7 out building, 3 with internet and TV, Tablets, smart phones, 5 computers, video surveillance, smart thermostat and wall sockets I can voice control

Next 5 years a lager portion of Austin Traffic will BE autonomous cars and Buses...fact

We are 100% retired and have Direct TV, Hulu, netFlix and Amazon fire...still, on some days we have to surf for something interesting...when I saw the Corn Hole finals I immediately thought...My oh My there are a bunch of viewers MORE bored than I am....But I do get it...ADVERTISING drives this train and IF you can find a channel...easily access with even a minimum of viewers....you make money

Way off topic but we are Texas and we execute folks all the time...low key... on the news hour I am always telling my wife...this need to be Pay Per View...... WWE makes about 7 million every week on Pay Per View

Yes there is a niche for our "sport" very narrow But NOT as narrow as Pro Corn Hole, Pro Drone racing, Pro Kite, Pro Curling, Pro Texas Holdem, Pro BMX, Red Bull, Pro Kyacking,  womens topless volley ball on Mustang Island...yes televised...been there a good time grin

So Brett Buck topless doing an inverted pattern with slapdash to the grass and bounce in the air with a smaller prop is very do able...remember....TOPLESS
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 02:38:55 PM »

Well I posted this earlier and some how it came up on a different thread.  It now has been removed so I can hopefully post it here.   Here is a really nice lady that can hold or fly any of my planes. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 07:37:58 PM »

Well, since I have done it several times, we have already tried 100% grade-A beefcake - but that doesn't seem to draw the right crowd.

Brett

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 11:03:10 PM »
Personally I don't think any organized effort to generate more interest in our sport will make much difference.  By simply having fun and welcoming those that show interest we will increase our ranks as much as we can.  I have personally flown several "demonstration" flights for groups and I cannot point to even one person that took up the hobby as a result. 

Do you seriously think that four guys having a vigorous discussion about the pitch of a prop will make someone want to take up the hobby?   We forget that it takes years of flying stunt before you would probably even notice a difference in prop pitch.  We all became interested in this for different reasons and it all makes sense to us.  There is no reason we should expect anyone else to understand it nor should we really care.  Flying stunt and building the machines to do it is not life, it is our escape from the chaos of life into a world that has purpose and order that keeps us sane. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 03:20:31 PM »

You think control line is boring? You haven't lived until you've watched an F3A contest. I tell you, it makes watching grass grow look like an action sport!! On the ground, they are some of the hottest, hippest looking planes in model aviation. In the air, they look like an absolute snore! The interesting think is that, Classic RC Pattern is an absolute blast to watch. It never gets old.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 03:40:08 PM »
You think control line is boring? You haven't lived until you've watched an F3A contest. I tell you, it makes watching grass grow look like an action sport!! On the ground, they are some of the hottest, hippest looking planes in model aviation. In the air, they look like an absolute snore! The interesting think is that, Classic RC Pattern is an absolute blast to watch. It never gets old.

Hahaha, you're not wrong - reminds me of post I saw recently; here in Australia, they're trying to get the judges up to par, so are making the masters pilots fly the F schedule. Someone came out with the asinine comment of "would be better for spectators'

HA!! What spectators?! No one watches F3A, even the other competitors regularly tune out.

A stunt contest is about 50 times livelier! Still, for someone who doesn't know, it'd be as boring as watching paint dry.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 04:02:56 PM »
The Knights of the Round Circle once held a Quikie Stunt event, and it was a hoot. You really had to be on your toes and with your head screwed on straight to do it right that fast.

No judging laps, one loop or whatever per maneuverfor the entire flight.

Take off, when you come back into the wind, reverse wing over, when you come out of that one, inside loop and a half for one full inverted lap going into an outside.  Short breather till you come back around for a square, then climb for the outside square. As soon as you come around again, one triangle. The rest of the pattern is a bit less frantic as the maneuvers need one lap for setup.

About 2 minutes for the whole pattern.

We had all the pilots as judges on the basis of 0 to 10 for the whole performance.(10pilots, 9 judges for each flight, just add all the scores) High score wins. Kind of like a gymnastics, skating or dance competition.(I won  ;D)

Fun and challenging to do, fun to watch, and keeps the other pilots involved all the time.

This could be flown with any class of model, but we required flat sheet wing, .061 cc maximum engine models.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 04:45:49 PM »
Freestyle skiiing spent millions before they became mainstream on TV. How many remember rushing home to watch curling? But once they got into the Olympics they became a major draw on TV and now even in Vegas!
If there is effort....and money.....things become media magnets. But, do we really want the attention?

By the by - a current observation; the scale aerobatics are on at the Nats. Check out the pictures on AMA and see if the age group involved raises any comment. And, interesting that the last AMA online magazine features an article on how to convert a CLPA model to RC?

Pause for thought.....
G
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here