News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:22:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why am I letting a few threads run  (Read 9529 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Why am I letting a few threads run
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2023, 11:06:43 PM »
Highly unlikely in an urban environment where the bad guys mix in with the civilians unless that it is not important.  So what would happen if one of the planes or gunships goes down? You probably also believe that the gun in the A-10 is a pretty great anti-tank weapon.....  You have to get pretty close to one to hit it with the gun which means that they can also shoot back at you. The plane can take a lot of damage but a damaged plane may not get to fly the next day.   Most A10 tank kills during the Gulf War where missile kills, take your shot from a safe distance, take no damage and get to do it again tomorrow.
You ever fired a GAU-8?

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2023, 11:55:56 PM »
Boy, I was wondering if anyone would take the deflection... The A10 was designed at a time when many anti tank weapons were wire guided and tanks more lightly armored than today.  I remember reading a report where the hit probability on a tank was fairly low and kill probability was even lower.  The gun is neat but it is a fairly simple  round except for the use of depleted uranium to make it heavier. They were designed to fight Russian tanks in the European plains, not to snipe at targets in urban environments.  Look up Aircrew Interview, lots of neat stuff to watch.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2023, 07:26:16 AM »
Boy, I was wondering if anyone would take the deflection... The A10 was designed at a time when many anti tank weapons were wire guided and tanks more lightly armored than today.  I remember reading a report where the hit probability on a tank was fairly low and kill probability was even lower.  The gun is neat but it is a fairly simple  round except for the use of depleted uranium to make it heavier. They were designed to fight Russian tanks in the European plains, not to snipe at targets in urban environments.  Look up Aircrew Interview, lots of neat stuff to watch.
I am still waiting for your point.  The A-10 was designed for close air support of ground troops where pinpoint accuracy was required.  It IS extremely accurate.  If it is going tank hunting it will be using Mavericks which are even more accurate.   I know the Taliban had tanks, but they had to get there by crossing some rather open spaces.  If we were of a mind to stop them the Taliban would no longer have tanks.  It was a decision to let them take over, plain and simple.  The American military is (or maybe was now that they are WOKE) the most lethal force in the history of mankind but you have to have a leader that knows how and where to use them.  We no longer do and that is the end of the story.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2023, 09:03:41 AM »
Why is it defeatist?  I am simply stating that without local help it is very difficult to do.  There is a historical precedent to it and also the fact that it did not work out well is evidence that without local support it next to mission impossible.  The same happened during the fall of Saigon.  It always nice to be able to tell somebody to "just get it done" while being oblivious to what it would actually take.  Without a land base in Afghanistan maybe Pakistan could have served as a staging point but our relationship with them is not good.  Outside of Pakistan you have no basing options for military planes unless you start using carriers but even then you would have to overfly countries which are not friendly to the US to get to Kabul and its surroundings.  There is a difference between allowing a military, unarmed, transport plane to fly over a country and one that is fully loaded out for war.  With all of this your A10s and helicopters are out the picture unless you plan on leaving them there (which did happen), maybe you can get some carrier based Rhinos...

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2023, 10:04:44 AM »
Why is it defeatist?  I am simply stating that without local help it is very difficult to do.  There is a historical precedent to it and also the fact that it did not work out well is evidence that without local support it next to mission impossible.  The same happened during the fall of Saigon.  It always nice to be able to tell somebody to "just get it done" while being oblivious to what it would actually take.  Without a land base in Afghanistan maybe Pakistan could have served as a staging point but our relationship with them is not good.  Outside of Pakistan you have no basing options for military planes unless you start using carriers but even then you would have to overfly countries which are not friendly to the US to get to Kabul and its surroundings.  There is a difference between allowing a military, unarmed, transport plane to fly over a country and one that is fully loaded out for war.  With all of this your A10s and helicopters are out the picture unless you plan on leaving them there (which did happen), maybe you can get some carrier based Rhinos...

Your mission here is to show your undying love for Biden.
If this had happened under Trump's watch there is no way you would be presenting yourself here as his EXCUSE MAKER and APOLOGIST.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:26:48 AM by Chuck Matheny »

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2023, 03:54:16 PM »
The B-10 is one of my favorite ugly, in between wars, airplane.  It was quite modern when it first came out (stressed metal skin, retractable landing gear, enclosed cockpit and I believe variable pitch props).  It did however, become obsolete very quickly. Take a look at the British designs of the same period to get an idea of how modern they were at the time.

The F-35 is probably not the airplane I would have dreamed off however it does not mean that it is not the right one for the job. Yes, it took fore ever, incredibly expensive and I would argue that the Air Force version should not have been made (the one with the smaller wings).  Maybe it was a compromise to gain stealth. At any rate, the whole idea of BVR is to shoot down the opponent before the merge; you really want to avoid the dog fight if at all possible.  Stealth does not make the plane invisible but harder to see which hopefully means you take the first shot before the opponent even knows you are there. The new version of the merge is that you and your buddies arrive to find no opponents around.

The British had the Tornado which did not have anywhere the capabilities of the F15 or 16 but by being clever they could wax a F-15. The latter variants of the F3 had a really good radar which was well integrated.  There are stories of F111s knocking down F15s as well.  There was an exercise in which F111 and Buccaneers were to attack shipping at low level.  The F111s asked the Buccaneers to fly low enough to leave a wake and they would be following 15 miles behind.  The F-15 CAP flying high saw the wakes and came barreling down to intercept the Buccaneers; they basically popped in front of the F111s who got 2 F15 kills that day. Also heard an F15 claim that F14s were easy kills; just keep an eye on the wing sweep and you could guess what they were about to do.  The point is that the clever ones figure out how to use the tools they have.

If you look at the Ukraine there has been relatively little air combat and most of it happened at the start of the war.  The reason is simple, both sides have good enough missile systems to keep the opponent at bay so you are limited to low level, get in and get out type scenarios. You have to keep in mind that the Russians have good ECM systems which they have used only to discovered that although it helped their aircraft get through it also affected their own defenses so it ended up being a double edge sword.  This environment would be a great test for the F35 is you can find enough pilots with brass marbles to fly them. The problem is that we generally design equipment for the last war we fought, not the one we will fight in the future.  I believe that the F-35 is trying to break ground in that respect. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 05:21:09 PM by Teodorico Terry »

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2023, 04:36:10 PM »
The B-10 is one of my favorite ugly, in between wars, airplane.  It was quite modern when it first came out (stressed metal skin, retractable landing gear, enclosed cockpit and I believe variable pitch props).  It did however, become obsolete very quickly. Take a look at the British designs of the same period to get an idea of how modern they were.

The F-35 is probably not the airplane I would have dreamed off however it does not mean that it is not the right one for the job. Yes, it took fore ever, incredibly expensive and I would argue that the Air Force version should not have been made (the one with the smaller wings).  Maybe it was a compromise to gain stealth. At any rate, the whole idea of BVR is to shoot down the opponent before the merge; you really want to avoid the dog fight if at all possible.  Stealth does not make the plane invisible but harder to see which hopefully means you take the first shot before the opponent even knows you are there. The new version of the merge is that you and your buddies arrive to find no opponents around.

The British had the Tornado which did not have anywhere the capabilities of the F15 or 16 but by being clever they could wax a F-15. The latter variants of the F3 had a really good radar which was well integrated.  There are stories of F111s knocking down F15s as well.  There was an exercise in which F111 and Buccaneers were to attack shipping at low level.  The F111s asked the Buccaneers to fly low enough to leave a wake and they would be following 15 miles behind.  The F-15 CAP flying high saw the wakes and came barreling down to intercept the Buccaneers; they basically popped in front of the F111s who got 2 F15 kills that day. Also heard an F15 claim that F14s were easy kills; just keep an eye on the wing sweep and you could guess what they were about to do.  The point is that the clever ones figure out how to use the tools they have.

If you look at the Ukraine there has been relatively little air combat and most of it happened at the start of the war.  The reason is simple, both sides have good enough missile systems to keep the opponent at bay so you are limited to low level, get in and get out type scenarios. You have to keep in mind that the Russians have good ECM systems which they have used only to discovered that although it helped their aircraft get through it also affected their own defenses so it ended up being a double edge sword.  This environment would be a great test for the F35 is you can find enough pilots with brass marbles to fly them. The problem is that we generally design equipment for the last war we fought, not the one we will fight in the future.  I believe that the F-35 is trying to break ground in that respect.

It's quite a shame that Biden didn't call on you for your tactical Know How, tremendous combat experience  and CAN DO attitude..!

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2023, 04:44:16 PM »
I know!  What a missed opportunity...

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2023, 04:48:20 PM »
Galloping,

You might enjoy this.  Her call sign was Killer Chick.

or this one....

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 05:19:11 PM by Teodorico Terry »

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2023, 04:50:10 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/reel/133819946016034

I cannot beleive this piece of work is President

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2023, 05:11:34 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/reel/133819946016034

I cannot beleive this piece of work is President

What's almost as ridiculous as Joe "POO-POO PANTS" Biden.....is his CLOWN WORLD CABINET

The  [[[GLOBALIST PUPPETMASTERS]]] are setting the table to present to The Goyim Masses none other than  Kamala "Cackle Face" Harris as our first COUNTERSUNK POTUS......... LL~

That's been my bold prediction  ever since [actually before] the 2020 election.

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2023, 05:22:58 PM »
And we are back.....  It is hopeless....

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2023, 06:02:56 PM »
And we are back.....  It is hopeless....
Yep..no doubt you still wish to believe that Fascism pertains to Right Wingers ONLY and that Team Biden had no choice but to adhere to the details of Team Trump's withdrawl plan.... LL~
i'll even bet you believe that the military's ROI with female recruits in the technical and combat arms MOS training programs has been just as fruitful as it is with men.
I'd love to see "Progressives" with their NWO Brainwashed belief systems put their money where their mouths are..but seldom do they ever if it's their own money or their own lives that are on the line.

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2023, 06:52:04 PM »
Yep..no doubt you still wish to believe that Fascism pertains to Right Wingers ONLY and that Team Biden had no choice but to adhere to the details of Team Trump's withdrawl plan.... LL~
i'll even bet you believe that the military's ROI with female recruits in the technical and combat arms MOS training programs has been just as fruitful as it is with men.
I'd love to see "Progressives" with their NWO Brainwashed belief systems put their money where their mouths are..but seldom do they ever if it's their own money or their own lives that are on the line.

Guessing not married... 

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2023, 06:56:41 PM »
Guessing not married...
I knew in advance that you would channel your inner "MIDDLE SCHOOL THEODORO" instead of owning up  to my SPOT ON observations..

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2023, 07:24:21 PM »
I am guessing that you do not read what you write.  You are basically stating that women, at least in terms of the military, are not as capable as men. Is that true of women in general by extension or only in the context of the military?  That somehow, the ROI they need to meet are somehow easier or watered down?  You do not see that as being rather condescending? How do you feel about their service?

My neighbor was a West Point grad who made Captain by the time her service was up; her husband only made lieutenant. He was also West Point graduate and they happened to be in the same class.  The both served in Desert Storm. Ask him any time who had the brains that ran the household and he would unequivocally say she was.

You will probably not enjoy this video either.....

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2023, 07:25:27 PM »
I am guessing that you do not read what you write.  You are basically stating that women, at least in terms of the military, are not as capable as men. Is that generally true of women in general by extension or only in the context of the military?  That somehow, the ROI they need to meet are somehow easier or watered down. You do not see that as being rather condescending? How do you feel about their service?

My neighbor was a West Point grad who was made Captain by the time her service was up; her husband only made lieutenant. He was also West Point graduate in they happened to be in the same class.  Ask him any time who the brains that ran the household and he would unequivocally say she was.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/599459-army-approves-reduced-physical-fitness-standards-for-women-older-soldiers/

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2016/0621/New-Marine-Corps-fitness-standards-Women-and-men-are-washing-out#:~:text=In%20the%20last%20five%20months%2C%206%20out%20of,training%20for%20combat%20jobs%2C%20according%20to%20the%20data.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/05/10/nearly-half-of-female-soldiers-still-failing-new-army-fitness-test-while-males-pass-easily.html

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/10/15/men-and-women-seeing-different-failure-rates-armys-gender-neutral-fitness-test.html
"The popular facebook page U.S Army W.T.F! Moments recently posted what appeared to be a set of leaked slides showing that about 84% of women failed the Army Combat Fitness Test, compared with 30% of men."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/19/marine-corps-weighs-lower-standards-for-women-afte/
Marine Corps weighs lower standards for women after none pass Infantry Officer Course

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 10:21:22 AM by Chuck Matheny »

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2023, 08:34:01 PM »
Chuck, basically, what I see going on ....  LL~ S?P VD~

H^^
I tried looking up the failure rates between women and men  in advanced training....like with combat pilot trainig, electronic equipment repair, aircraft maintenance, heavy equipment maintenance and recovery, but those stats are not forthcoming for some reason.
If women were a resounding success in these training programs as compared to men] then you betcha those stats would be forthcoming.

A young lady DID WIN THE BLADDER GRABBER one year and that was no fluke [for her] since I'd flown against her at lesser contests before and she was always very poised and quick. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 08:57:09 PM by Chuck Matheny »

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2023, 10:52:07 PM »
Highly unlikely in an urban environment where the bad guys mix in with the civilians unless that it is not important.  So what would happen if one of the planes or gunships goes down? You probably also believe that the gun in the A-10 is a pretty great anti-tank weapon.....  You have to get pretty close to one to hit it with the gun which means that they can also shoot back at you. The plane can take a lot of damage but a damaged plane may not get to fly the next day.   Most A10 tank kills during the Gulf War where missile kills, take your shot from a safe distance, take no damage and get to do it again tomorrow.

The A10's GAU-8/A 30MM Gatling gun, is brutal. One burst will immobilize any kind of tracked vehicle (destroys the tank's track system) and I believe that the majority of tanks and tracked vehicles were removed from service by the A10's gun, as were the long line of Iraqi vehicles during Desert Storm. The A10's missile array and gravity bombs are primarily used against harden targets.   
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2023, 01:41:41 PM »
Norm, Teodorico may well be right. According to the kill stats of the A10 most tanks were 'killed' by missile. Anything less than a tank is pretty easily shredded by the A10 gun.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2023, 03:31:26 PM »
Norm, Teodorico may well be right. According to the kill stats of the A10 most tanks were 'killed' by missile. Anything less than a tank is pretty easily shredded by the A10 gun.
That is the point I was making earlier.  The weapon of choice for a tank was the Maverick, probably still is.  The gun would certainly immobilize a tank by knocking it's socks off (treads) but not necessarily "kill" any of the newer ones.  I don't think the Afgans had the newer ones, until we left them some.  The 30mm API round can penetrate somewhere between 2 and 3" of armor.  The M1-A1 has around 3 1/2" at it's weakest points.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2023, 10:50:34 PM »

Point noted.  Teodorico's stats are correct,
I guess I should of worded my comment a little different. My point was not "destroyed" but "disabled." And yes the missiles are for taking it out completely. (Hardened Target)
Norm
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 10:10:34 AM by Norm Faith Jr. »
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2023, 12:15:55 AM »

Most ain't all!!
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2023, 01:01:33 AM »
Point noted.  Teodorico's stats are correct,
I guess I should worded my comment a little different. My point was not "destroyed" but "disabled." And yes the missiles are for taking it out completely. (Hardened Target)
Norm
Good evening Norm...
The actual point to all of this is whether or not it was possible to execute a less "ambitious" plan that was simply designed to safely extract our troops instead of allowing the scene to become a totally  out of control sea of humanity.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2023, 05:44:52 AM »
  Wow, two pages and counting and not one word about the "builder of the model" rule.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2023, 06:00:02 AM »
  Wow, two pages and counting and not one word about the "builder of the model" rule.

Perry!! Don't get us started!  %^@ LL~
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2023, 09:24:13 AM »
Do you mean the original intent of this thread? ???

It has come to my attention that the same few are reporting threads that twist their nickers. Get over it! The small minority seeks to impose their ideology on the rest.

The mainstream media has blocked out most of the info I have let play. I have my thoughts on these matters and biases but that is not the reason to let these threads play out. It's to give the opportunity to let the NON-brain dead make up their own mind. I was censored on Twitter the same day as Trump for stating my opinion and found it disgusting.

People point to a thread That Bill Little made years ago that pertained to the Brodak Wars and really was not even approved by me. That has nothing to do with current-day world affairs. I don't want this forum to become a free-for-all but I will allow a few stories not being played by the mainstream media. Just remember we (mostly all) Know each other so choose your words wisely.

It is interesting how the thread took on a new dimension about the meritoriousness of military women aviators and war theater fitness (or lack thereof) of a 4 decades old close support aircraft, when the OP was expressing a frustration over being censored by politically motivated, heavy handed redefinition of abusive posting rules.

Previously, forums were generally apolitical and allowed for contrary views, as long as contents contained no foul language, invasion of privacy or personal attacks, and didn't stray too far off topic. Over the past almost 10 years now, political views or simply expressing facts against the "political narratives" were causes for censorship. Thus, there is no more freedom of expression.

I find the following quote pertaining to the Roman Empire collapse particularly startling: :o

Quote from: Ammianus Marcellinus, 4th century A.D. Roman historian
“The Roman government has become tyrannical and oppressive. People are no longer free to speak their minds or express their opinions without fear of reprisal.”

... coupled with:

Quote from: Salvian, 5th century A.D. Christian writer
“The Roman Empire is ruled by a small group of elites who only care about their own interests. They have no concern for the welfare of the people, and will do anything in their power to maintain their power.”

(For more quotes, see: https://vigilantlinks.com/2023/02/history-is-an-eternal-repetition-here-are-quotes-from-those-who-lived-through-the-fall-of-the-roman-empire/)

I would never expect this in my life time, but I think I am seeing the resurrection of the nearly 2 millennial dead Roman Empire, and return of the dark princes of the Dark Ages. S?P D>K

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here