News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:23:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who remembers their first contest  (Read 10677 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Who remembers their first contest
« on: January 14, 2022, 12:09:09 PM »
I flew my first contest with my wingman Ryan (aka prop buster) at the Memphis Stunt Classic. We had a blast, made some friendships. The scores improved some over the years. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Who remembers their first contest
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 12:11:17 PM »
Tapatalk will only allows on one picture.
Time to find a new app.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 12:25:31 PM »
Ok don’t need Tapatalk. I can now upload from the phone library. That’s news to me.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 12:26:48 PM »
A few more
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 12:51:28 PM »
   My first contest was in 1987 I think.  It was when the Lafayette Esquadrille had their Broken Arrow contest in the summer! And it might have been before they started calling it The Broken Arrow! I wasn't a member then, just getting into serious control line flying after 20 years of serious R/C sailplane competition and some free flight. R/C sailplanes were getting expensive, and I had run into some bad luck job wise at that time. I had been collecting control line stuff for a while up till then, so just eased on into stunt in the beginner class.  I remember getting out of the van and walking up to the entrance to what is now the square pad ( it was still a donut back then) and Jim Lee was flying a practice flight with one of his Sunflyer models. Just as I walked up to the edge, Jim Pulled out inverted at the bottom of the first outside square and I was looking down at the airplane!! The second one was right where the first one was! Let's just say that had a profound effect on me! It also took me two airplanes to get through the contest, a Twister and my Akromaster back up. I took both of them home needing some repairs!  It's been all down hill since then!!

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 12:56:12 PM »
I remember very little from my first contest were it not for this picture taken the day of my first contest somewhere around 1960-61 I wouldn't have any.  It was a small contest in Northern Virgina in the DC area.  I was maybe 13 so I was still a Junior.  No idea how I did.  I do remember my mentor from our club telling me that I was entering Junior Stunt even though I had never flown a full pattern.  He said he would talk me through it so I guess it was either a club contest or one the club traveled to as a group. 

Ken

I joined the AMA at the contest.  One thing I do remember now was the number of entries was huge.  Lots of Juniors & Seniors. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 06:27:11 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 01:07:39 PM »
I think it was 1969 or thereabouts, Southwestern Regionals at Buckeye AZ. I had a Ringmaster or Shoestring or something like that, I don't recall. I could do some "tricks" and had never flown. My father had taken me to the event the previous year and I wanted to give it a try. I was twelve and there was another "kid" whom was doing a super good job of the pattern which I had never truly exactly seen let alone having tried before. My turn came up and I was given some pretty clear instructions to just get up in the air and fly what I could fly and it would be good. Some here may have gotten to know my mentality to know that what went through my mind at that exact second went something like, yeah right, like that's gonna happen, watch this. Take off level laps, pull up into the reverse wing over and the first half was nearly perfect.  Well, the front of the crankshaft remained in the asphalt for a number of years.... I was hooked.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 02:09:25 PM »
Dan
try this.....

Jim

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 03:51:54 PM »
1970, in Mission Bay Park near San Diego.
Was a junior, couldn't do a whole pattern. Did what I could on my first flight. I said, the heck with it, and did a full pattern for the very first time on my second flight. Placed second. All downhill from there!

That trophy still stands proudly in my shop!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 06:11:39 PM by Paul Walker »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 04:35:41 PM »
2010 Fall Follies, October 2nd & 3rd in Salem Oregon.  I came in 3rd in Beginner and went home with a broken airplane.  Got applause for maintaining my cool after the 0-foot bottom on my horizontal eights, and managing a graceful-ish landing half a lap later.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 06:46:00 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 05:24:49 PM »
I thought this picture was taken in 2010, but I just read my dad's shirt and then zoomed in on the plaque. I can't believe my first contest was only in 2015. It was the Ted Goyett contest at Woodland, California. I'm in the green shirt, my son is the 9 year old, and my dad is the...I guess 79 year old. Three generations in one contest. I won beginner. My son got second and I believe there was one other in beginner that day. I thought for sure this was more than seven years ago. It feels like it was twelve years ago. Something doesn't add up.

Some guys are mentioning the first contest they watched, so I'm adding this on. First contest I remember watching was probably the 1981 or 82 Nats. I was a score runner three or four years in a row. I learned three names that first year. Gieseke, Fancher, and Urtnowski. Who can resist a guy in a cowboy hat flying a plane twice the size of the others and leaning way back while doing it? When you're six, that's the ultimate in control line.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:57:41 PM by Shorts,David »

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 06:21:47 PM »
2018 North West Regionals. 
Fantastic experience.  Saw a lot of amazing flying.  Met a lot of great people in the hobby. 
Glad for the opportunity!

(picture taken right before my first official flight)
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 06:31:06 PM »
We need a like button on these!

1969 Garden State Circle Burners Basic flight Fox 36x powered Flight Streak. I was 5 years old! Wish I still had the cup.

First Stunt contest 2012 beginner la .25 powered flight streak. Crashed and burned

Tom
AMA 13001

Online AMV

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 06:56:38 PM »
I remember mine like it was two years ago. Because it was.
2020 NYCLST meet.
1st place Beginner with a flying wing.
Spice is the variety of life.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 07:47:21 PM »
Dan
try this.....

Jim

WOW! That's cool! That must be it, just wasn't sure of the year, but was pretty sure it was summer. Do you remember who was first in Expert? The only other thing I remember is that it was breezy, Bill Calkins was there, and he suggested I turn the needle it a bit for extra punch in the wind. I really didn't know any one then, so I don't remember who was there, other than you  and like I said, you kind of left an impression on me!

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 07:48:35 PM »
Memorial Day weekend in Wrentham, MA, 2007. The week before the contest we were practicing and I still didn’t know all the maneuvers to the beginner pattern. I told my grandpa, I’m gonna do them all next flight. Did everything until I almost crashed in the attempt at the overhead 8. The contest I did the first inside loop of the overhead to get pattern points and an attempt. I was the only beginner and consequently placed first

I flew a Brodak Fw-190 profile powered by a McCoy 35
Matt Colan

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 07:16:40 AM »
The 2007 fall contest in Wrentham, Ma. I flew a scratch built plane that I had belly landed at the bottom of the verticle eight while practicing. The fuselage was cracked, which I didn't notice,and during the official flight was barely flyable.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 08:16:54 AM »
My first contest has been stated on here before.  It was at a grass airstrip at Stanley, Kansas with a couple sheds/hangers a couple of planes were in.  I entered Rat Race with my Guillows Rat Racer.  Back then you had to fly a 25 lap qualifier race.  Wheel fell off and I was DQ'd.  Mom and Dad drove me down as I only had learners permit to drive.  Dad watched the combat to the last match.

As far as stunt the Flying Eagles the club I joined had a beginner contest.  I think there were three if us.  I had my Ringmaster with the McCoy 35 Redhead on it.  Two events. first event was a race or speed event.  Take off from. fly level with a pit stop.  The old McCoy was great.  The second was take off fly level,  do a loop if you wanted and land.  Only time I got the Ringmaster to land with no bounce and roll to a stop.  I still have both the first place trophies.  Been hooked ever since. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 08:32:53 AM »
1956 Mirror meet. Floyd Bennet field. 3rd place novelty event.
trophy

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2022, 09:48:03 AM »
Here I am in 58' at my first contest in Arkansas near the FOX factory.
Flite Streak, FOX Combat Spl blackhead on pressure.
Pretty hot for a 15 year old.
Mike Rudolph putting glue on the ripped silkspan.
Art Roberts in profile kneeling in the background.
On the next flight I had a mid-air with the tall guy standing in the background....he had more airplanes than I did so he won.
If anyone recognizes him....let us know.

Online Guy Markham

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2022, 10:16:43 AM »
1953 at Griffith park in Los Angeles Calif.  (Bob Palmer's flying field) a 15 year old kid with his Veco Chief with a K&B .35. The other picture showing myself and the judges. Note: Clarence Lee in the hawaiian shirt with red hair  and his wife carrying their  daughter.
You only have to floss the teeth you want to keep!

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2022, 11:52:10 AM »
Dick B., I didn't realize you were also a New Yorker...

My first contest was a Mirror Meet at Floyd Bennett NAS, in 1958 or 1959 - with a ( - just released-) kit Magician. Engine? ...either ENYA 35 or, more likely, Johnson 35 DID get a score - nothing to brag about...

No pix of me or mine, but I still have a good photo of some speed guys with a hand truck mounted electric starter setting engines. Those looked like 'performance' Fox or possibly McCoy - exhaust stacks wrong side for K&B.

-- My family didn't get a car until I was 18 - old enough to drive in NYC. Public transit on weekends was excellent back then, and affordable. Great memories of a bunch of us using Brooklyn buses and subways (and some walking) to haul models and ground stuff to and from flying fields...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2022, 01:23:00 PM »
I have a few "contest milestones":

c 1987 Sig Contest:  I was about 3 or 4 years old when Dad would put me out in the circle with my Carl Goldberg Wizzard between rounds.  At the Sunday awards presentation, Hazel and Maxi, in a display of their infinite kindness and generosity, gave me a 1/2A Skyray kit, a gallon of fuel, and a box of goodies for just being a cute little blond kid.  In the years that followed, as I graduated to bigger airplanes, I "flew" beginner at that contest.  Back in those days, all contestants got a gallon of fuel and a goodie bag for entering, so it was lucrative lol, but it was good exposure to flying contests.

1996 Peoria Wirefiyers Contest:  Getting "older and uglier", I finally learned the beginner pattern, and flew my first REAL contest at the now-defunct Peoria contest. 

1997 VSC:  My first "big" contest, as well as my first Old Time contest. Quite a weekend

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2022, 01:35:37 PM »
Dayton Ohio about 1978 while in college.  Flew an embarrassing crude profile Sig Banshee with a Fox 35.

Recall meeting Bob McDonald who was about same age as me, but flew at what looked like Expert level to me.  Also watched Wynn Paul and Bill Werwage compete. People were kind to this enthusiastic but unskilled beginner. I was pleased to not have crashed.

I met Joe Reinhard about the same time and with his help I was able to climb up the PAMPA ladder soon after.

I’ve been doing this for a long time. I ought to be better at it.

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2022, 01:56:30 PM »
1980 I think.  Todd Hessling and I drove from Quincy to the Quad Cities contest. We were both in high school.  Todd had a pink profile Nobler.  I didn’t take a plane.  All I had flying at the time was an oft repaired ringmaster that I didn’t think was contest worthy.  That was a mistake and I regret not taking a plane to this day.  But hey, what did I know? Nothing!

The trip was not without an education. I spent the day pitting for my new acquaintance, Doug Dalke. He was flying his Sandbagger with a ST 46.  He was obsessed with light weight and burning as little fuel as possible to complete the pattern.  I seem to remember him bragging about just under 3 oz or something.  The plane was gray with red trim and covered I believe in Japanese tissue to keep the weight down. 

That day I learned several things: no airplane is too ugly to take to a contest, stunt is full of incredible characters and individuals, and all the cussing in the world (and I do mean all!) will not help a ST 46 start if it doesn’t want too. 

Online Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2022, 02:27:44 PM »
Lou,
      I was born in Weymouth mass. we flew with Dave Cook and all the Mass guys. It was a wonderful experience.

Dick

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2022, 02:54:58 PM »
 12 yrs old.  1st King Orange Int,1954 Won BTR with a K&B 23 powered Redskin .My dad was my Pitman
rad racer

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2022, 04:13:23 PM »
My first one was in the Chicago area, about 1965 or 1966 I can't remember. My dad and I went with some club members in a local Carrier hot shot's Buick Wildcat. He didn't want me to go because i was a little kid but my dad said if i don't go, he wasn't going. I guess he thought I might not by house trained! I was either 6 or 7!
I flew my Ringmaster Jr. called Pinky, powered with the Hope 19, in Jr. Rat Race and Balloon Bust.

Rat was a disaster! One of the kids had a Johnny Casburn Stunt ship, one had a CG Shoestring or Cosmic Wind, I had Pinky, and the 4th kid had a beautiful red Rat with a Super Tigre .29! We were all briefed up on were to stand, how to move in the center for flying, pitting, etc and I was told to stay low. For me that was 5 feet or so and I'm sure they all meant about 1 1/2 feet! Off I went, dad launched me and I flew nice and low at 5 feet... next the Johnny Casburn guy flew right over me, then the CG, then the Rat went diagonally right through my lines. There was yelling from inside the circle, yelling from outside, and models kept going and the Rat went in at a 45 degree angle after winding us up in cable around our shoulders, feet, I put my left hand on my neck so it didn't get too tight and mine finally bellied in. I won, I was last one flying. No way I was doing that again!

On to Balloon Bust, where one had to hit the row of balloons by flying over them then tipping the top of the last one, I was always hitting it too steep and touching the ground on recovery, ending up getting no balloons in either flight and ending the flights early hitting the pop on the ground. Hence, a win in Rat Race, no score in Balloon Bust!

Our intrepid Carrier Hot Rod sat in the back while dad drove his Wildcat home, he won two trophies and wanted to sit with them while he told us of is flights!
That was my first contest... 

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2022, 04:15:12 PM »
First contest I saw was at Swope Park in Kansas City in 1959.  We were so excited when we got there that we jumped out of the car while it was still moving.  A guy had a Flite Streak covered in yellow silkspan.  I thought it was beautiful.  He had a midair which turned it into yellow confetti.  I decided then that combat was the sport for me. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2022, 05:20:24 PM »
1948.  South Gate, CA.   Local clubs invited and sponsored by my club, South Gate Skylarks.  Members of the Skylarks included Tom Lay Jr. (plus his dad and his uncle Ray Lay):  Bob Dunham (later started Orbit R/C).  My entry was a model similar to the "Boxcar" but larger, and powered by a Bunch Contestor 60.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2022, 06:25:43 PM »
1959 at an airforce base just over the river from Memphis.  Flew combat with a Whatsit with a greenhead Torp 35 prepared by Duane Cassa.  Won both my matches except my kill on the eventual winner was a line cut which dq'd me.  That Cassa Torp was phenominal and really made a difference. 
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2022, 01:04:16 PM »
The first contest I entered wasn't nearly as important as the first contest I went to as an observer.

It was a contest somewhere in New Jersey, not far from Fort Monmouth where I was stationed in the summer of 1991.   I vaguely remember that there were tall trees surrounding a good portion of the circle.  Just being there was a real eye opener.  I had flown a Ringmaster and a Carl Goldberg Shoestring in High School and had no idea that control line models could do a tenth of the things I saw them doing that day.  I didn't introduce myself, and had no idea who the flyers were, but I never forgot that there was so much more to control line stunt than I ever realized as a kid.

When I was a kid it wasn't uncommon to see kids flying control line at ball fields, school yards, and K-Mart parking lots on Sundays (when the store was closed)  Most of (the few) contests I've been to since getting back into control line are at fairly remote sites.  I'm not faulting anybody or any club, but I wonder what would happen if we could fly our practice flights and hold our contests in high visibility places like ball fields, school yards, and shopping store parking lots. 

Oh, well, it was a real eye opener that day in Jew Jersey and I'm glad I looked through the AMA Events calendar and found my way out to the flying field.

Joe Ed Pederson

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2022, 01:41:04 PM »
    I was interested in airplanes at an early date, seeing many planes being ferried to the war while living in Tulsa OK.  Probably in late '47 or '48 my father took the family to a large model airplane contest.  C/L was flown at a football stadium and I remember models performing all sorts of stunt maneuvers.  Later that day we went to a field where they were flying FF.  That day got me interested in flying model airplanes.  First ones were mostly small rubber powered and glider FF's.  I got a C/L Firebaby for my birthday in '51 while living in Burbank CA.  We moved to Salt Lake City, UT at the end of the year and I built a Baby Barnstormer but it was too much airplane for the Wasp .049 at the 5000 ft elevation where I flew it.  A Mini Zilch was built which was both smaller and much lighter.  It would actually do loops and such.
    In '52, I entered Junior Stunt at a large annual contest.  I won 1st place, getting farther through the stunt pattern before crashing than the other contestants.  I was hooked!  I have been competing ever since in C/L, FF and even some R/C.  Some Speed models are faster than the pilot now and I have to be careful flying overhead eights but I still love to compete.

Jim Rhoades

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2022, 08:35:12 PM »
My first contest I flew in was Louisiana State Model Airplane Championships in June of 1969 in Shreveport, LA  Flew in CG Cosmic Wind with a McCoy 35 in Jr stunt.  Was 13 yrs old. Had no idea that there was a pattern to be flown, just thought more of a free style event.  I forgot my fuel and my aunt had to ask the other fliers for a tank of fuel.  My flight score was 79 points.  I didn't win!  My aunt took a Polaroid of my flight.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2022, 06:11:33 AM »
I thought I was going to win the prize here until I saw Floyd's post.

My father ran the Exchange Club sponsored meets in New Jersey in the late 1940s and early 1950s. The Exchange Club had a stipulation to their sponsorship: There must be a Youngest Contestant event.

I don't remember any of the following, but the story goes that my father held me in his arms at age 22 months and I flew the requisite number of laps unassisted with my little paw in the handle, and won the event. The second place flier was none other than Don Shulman, Leon Shulman's son! He was two years old. The year? 1949. So I can honestly tell people who ask how long I've been flying (a common question that I get...) that I was winning contests in the 1940s!

Later - Bob Hunt 

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2022, 06:15:51 AM »
1962 big meet in White Plains NY.  Jr Combat with a Voodoo/Fox Rocket and a Giant Killer/ McCoy.  Somehow I made it through eliminations and won the event!  Still have the trophy.  So I figured I was then a combat flyer but never got close to the podium again.  Still enjoy flying the old crates though>  TS

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2022, 01:28:45 PM »
I'll stick in my first contest-  flying Combat over asphalt at Midway Stadium in 1963.  Thanks to my Beneficent Aunt Hilde for gifting me with a Johnson 25 for the prior Christmas.  I'd already built a couple planes. I designed and drafted a high aspect wing- 44 in span, 8in chord, about 430 squares.  That helped carry the Johnson, which was a bit heavier than a Fox Rocket or similar.

The big day drew quite a few stunters, Good Year racers, and stunt planes, but only 3 in combat.  I got the lucky draw, the other two pilots flew a match-  very carefully - no wild maneuvering, mostly chasing around upright.  One guy was pretty obviously practiced and won with one cut.  He and I flew for 1st.  I had trouble getting started, with a flaky fuel line.  After a quick change we got the motor started late.  I got up, they blew a horn,   I kind of went over the top, came down on his streamer and mostly through luck got a cut.  He tried for a cut,  and went under.  I pulled up around 60 deg. He got flustered and pancaked into the pavement.  The judges blew the horn and I'd won my first Combat contest.  Needless to say I was hooked.

Many thanks to Jeff Welliver(long deceased) for getting the stadium and putting on the contest.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2022, 03:37:22 PM »
I remember it clearly.  Ann Arbor Michigan in the fall of 1961.
I took 3rd in Junior combat with a Veco Hornet that barely flew.
There were only two entries in Junior Stunt.  Somebody loaned me a stunter with which I completed the pattern on my first official stunt flight and took 3rd place. I was in violation of the BOM but so were the other two Juniors.
Paul Smith

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2022, 05:19:21 PM »
Flew at the King Orange 1984, AMA Fast combat event. Goldberg Voodoo covered in bright pink monocote, Fox combat special MK3 on bladder. Won first place and I couldn't believe it. I was on cloud nine that day and great memories.
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2022, 05:30:02 PM »
My first contest was January 1, 1963, The Misery Meet, and it was a Free Flight contest. I showed up with my brand new Ramrod 600 with a Fox .201 on it, and placed 2nd. Next contest was Memorial Day weekend '63, Sand Point NAS, and I flew my first Combat match. Flew two matches, won both with kills, but they ran short of time and flipped coins to decide trophies. :( I even remember how I chopped the streamer off in my first match...followed him through a half outside and up through the streamer. Later, I learned how to perform mid-air collisions and took up speed flying (monoline).  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2022, 07:09:46 PM »
 It is hard to remember as i did more FF contest than CL. It would be around 1953-54. I had been flying for several years by this time so the pattern was easy to fly. It may have been at Endicott or Ithaca NY. Many small towns in south central NY had hobby shops and they put on  contest.  VD~
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2022, 09:28:21 AM »
June 1965,  Albany, Oregon.  Flew Rat Race with Fox 36X powered Skat Rat.  Somehow managed to get 2nd place against four other juniors.  Still have the trophy. 

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2022, 08:22:16 PM »
Garden State Circle Burner Snowbird on 1964. Saw Harold Price Crusader with retracts, and Valkyere, and too many others to name. Larry S flew his magnificent Sting Ray ( combat wing) and I think he had rhe original Blue Angel.Also recall original Ballarina that was a work of art.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2022, 12:01:08 AM »
2018 North West Regionals. 
Fantastic experience.  Saw a lot of amazing flying.  Met a lot of great people in the hobby. 
Glad for the opportunity!

(picture taken right before my first official flight)
I was there that day and I recall seeing that airplane!  How cool!

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2022, 12:06:58 AM »
First flying contest I was ever in was a small event held on a sod farm near Deer Park in 1982 or 83. Flew in 1/2A scale with my rather funny looking “Corsair” that had started life as a CG Wizard. A little repainting and a saw taken to the wings resulted in a dark blue profile with inverted gull wings and a working bomb drop.  I no longer have the trophy itself, but in my recent move I found the small engraved plaque that was on it.  Neat memory.    I’d almost forgotten about that whole thing. 

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2022, 11:40:48 AM »
I found a photo of myself and the plane I entered in my first contest, 1948, South Gate CA.  Let's see, I was 14 years old!

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2022, 12:02:57 PM »
My first contest was 1948, but my first trophy was in 1950 at the Plymouth preliminary contest in Los Angeles.  Since AMA rules were used, I entered in the SENIOR division,where there were not many entries!  This trophy was a 2nd place in Sr. Stunt.  At that time, all stunt was "Old Time"..the modern pattern hadn't yet been invented.
The lady presenting trophies was advertised as a well-known movie actress.  Anyone know who she is?

Wow! looking closely, I see that I was embarassed being congratulated by a pretty lady!

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2022, 09:54:24 PM »
Kind of looks like Susan Hayward?
She was a real looker. 😉
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2022, 08:47:21 AM »
My first contest was 1948, but my first trophy was in 1950 at the Plymouth preliminary contest in Los Angeles.  Since AMA rules were used, I entered in the SENIOR division,where there were not many entries!  This trophy was a 2nd place in Sr. Stunt.  At that time, all stunt was "Old Time"..the modern pattern hadn't yet been invented.
The lady presenting trophies was advertised as a well-known movie actress.  Anyone know who she is?

Wow! looking closely, I see that I was embarassed being congratulated by a pretty lady!

I thought she looked a bit like Marilyn Monroe....Marilyn might be a bit younger though.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2022, 10:57:53 AM »
Not Marilyn Monroe.  She was close to my age.  In fact, Marilyn was born a couple years earlier in the very same maternity ward as I.  <Los Angeles county hospital, now a part of USC Medical Center.

Advertise Here

Advertise Here