News:

• April 25, 2024, 04:47:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who remembers their first contest  (Read 11000 times)

Offline Joe Bowman

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Re: Who remembers their first contest
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2022, 11:45:16 AM »
My first contest was 1948, but my first trophy was in 1950 at the Plymouth preliminary contest in Los Angeles.  Since AMA rules were used, I entered in the SENIOR division,where there were not many entries!  This trophy was a 2nd place in Sr. Stunt.  At that time, all stunt was "Old Time"..the modern pattern hadn't yet been invented.
The lady presenting trophies was advertised as a well-known movie actress.  Anyone know who she is?

Wow! looking closely, I see that I was embarassed being congratulated by a pretty lady!
Floyd,  Could it have been Jane Powell?

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2022, 12:06:24 PM »
I will bet she was a well-known supporting actress.  Contests were so different in that era.  Promoted, prizes, real trophies, more than three entries in just about everything.  Even had bleachers with actual spectators.  Ahh the memories.....

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2022, 10:06:10 AM »
First Stunt contest was at Brodaks in2016. Flew beginner event with a 109% Electric powered Excalibur.
Took First Place.
First OTHER contest was back in 1974 at Merced CA. (was stationed at Castle AFB). Flew Jet Sped and 1/2A speed.
Made a lot of good friends from both places and times. Dale Kirn, Fred and Joyce Margarido, Frank Hunt, Jerry Thomas, M. Hoyt and a host
of others whose names I have forgotten over the years.

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2022, 04:33:32 PM »
I had a ??? debut.  The Minneapolis Piston Poppers hosted a multievent contest in 1967 at the St.Paul baseball stadium.  It had lots of decent pavement so stunt, racing etc.  was OK.
I flew in the combat event.  I can only remember the broad details.  I had built a high aspect ratio 5.5 straight wing with a Johnson combat special.  I was up against VooDoo's with Fox Combat engines,
They drew the two Voodoos's.  That match  was one cut and then the other plane crashed.  Whoops.  The 2nd match I flew my first match.  I believe I got up second.  We did a bit of chasing.  I thought I got a cut but the opponent tried and got a sliver and crashed immediately.

It was a short, fast combat event, placing second and going home with my plane.

Made me a happy guy!
phil Cartier

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2022, 06:26:57 PM »
I think it was a Kansas City Sky Devils contest at Swope Park in 1967.  I flew ballon bust and Jr. stunt,  finishing .......well finishing.  I think it was with my one and only Ringmaster.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2022, 06:30:22 PM »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2022, 08:26:13 PM »
Middle Earth Precision Aerobatics Championship, June, 1981. First place in Beginner, 383 points, as I recall. 630 square inch Genesis "40", from the Dick Mathis kit, 51 ounces, ST46, .157 venturi (stock), Sullivan RST-6 tank plumbed for uniflow, 5% Fox Superfuel, Top Flite 12-6. Yellow monokote on wings/tail, silver and maroon dope on fuselage, silver trim monokote lettering.

Brett

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2022, 01:37:03 PM »
Wow this is a old thread. 😂🤣😂

My scores did improve some after I flew advance. 🥴
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2022, 04:36:44 PM »
Yep. My first was a FF contest, the 1963 Misery Meet at Smith Brother's Dairy Farm in Kent, WA. I flew my brand new Ramrod 600/Fox .201 to 2nd place in Jr./Sr. ABC gas. Guntis Sietins won 1st with a previously flown Starduster 900/Johnson .35CS, and Brian Mace placed 3rd with a Ramrod 600/Fox .25. I still am in contact with both guys, and see Brian fairly often. Saw Guntis at a FF contest in Oregon in 2021.

My 2nd contest ever was the 1963 NW Regionals at Sand Point NAS, and I flew Combat for the first time ever and placed 3rd after two wins by kills and no losses...they ran out of time and did a coin toss for the trophies.  ''  I can still remember how I got the kill on my first match, but not the second match.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2022, 05:09:17 PM »
My first was 2003 at brodak's in beginer  did not know how fly
 inverted  did  not crash and did not finish last  did placed 8th
out of 16 scroced a 88.5 first round  second was 168
ALAN E BUCK

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Ensign
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2022, 08:09:25 PM »
Mine was back in 1988 at Bayside school, San Mateo, CA. I flew a Fancherized Twister with a ST 35 combat perry. Blue monokote and with Black Baron spray can epoxy. WAM hosted all the events at the same time, so it was crowded models everywhere. I entered in beginner and didn't know the pattern. I do recall the couple judging my flight wasn't paying attention to my performance. LOL. They were busy bird watching.

Offline Roy DeCamara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2022, 07:11:02 PM »
My first contest was 1948, but my first trophy was in 1950 at the Plymouth preliminary contest in Los Angeles.  Since AMA rules were used, I entered in the SENIOR division,where there were not many entries!  This trophy was a 2nd place in Sr. Stunt.  At that time, all stunt was "Old Time"..the modern pattern hadn't yet been invented.
The lady presenting trophies was advertised as a well-known movie actress.  Anyone know who she is?

Wow! looking closely, I see that I was embarassed being congratulated by a pretty lady!

I'll take a guess though the picture doesn't show much detail.  Jan Sterling??  Don't think I have the last name spelling correct.   By the way Floyd, MM was born in 1926, so quite a bit older than you.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2022, 11:15:48 AM »
It was September 1993 at Frederick, MD where the Maryland State Championships were being held. I had my faithful Hornet Combat shop with a Johnson .35 Combat Special swinging a 9 X 8 full size prop. In my first match my competitor said" Nice Kill". I replied what do you mean? He responded you killed me the match is over you win! The day went on with that kind of beginner's luck when after another win my Hornet bought the farm but during another win! I got out my brand new never before flown Voo Doo with yet another Johnson CS .35 to continue the matches!

I made it to the final two fly off! got 2 cuts on the other guy and then...killed myself by dragging my streamer through his prop! I flew on with Fast and Slow Combat into 1984 when I finally turned to Stunt for my calmer and more enduring fun!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2022, 12:09:55 PM »
It was September 1993 at Frederick, MD where the Maryland State Championships were being held. I had my faithful Hornet Combat shop with a Johnson .35 Combat Special swinging a 9 X 8 full size prop. In my first match my competitor said" Nice Kill". I replied what do you mean? He responded you killed me the match is over you win! The day went on with that kind of beginner's luck when after another win my Hornet bought the farm but during another win! I got out my brand new never before flown Voo Doo with yet another Johnson CS .35 to continue the matches!

I made it to the final two fly off! got 2 cuts on the other guy and then...killed myself by dragging my streamer through his prop! I flew on with Fast and Slow Combat into 1984 when I finally turned to Stunt for my calmer and more enduring fun!

Phil Spillman
Wow, that is nearly exactly my first open combat meet.  Lubbock, TX 1965, I was a Freshman at Texas Tech.  Johnson 35CS on my own design.  My first match was over in 20 seconds when some guy under shot a sure kill and flew through my prop.  My helper was ecstatic, "Do you know who that was?"  I really didn't know that I had just beaten Riley Wooten. Won my second round on air time.  Third round lasted about 10 seconds, some guy named Carl.  Lubbock was a tough town for Combat. I haven't competed in open fast combat since.

Ken 

ps - check your dates.  You can't start in 1993 and quit in 1984.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2022, 09:26:05 PM »
Ken 

ps - check your dates.  You can't start in 1993 and quit in 1984.

Ah, depends on the type  of power in your time machine. D>K LL~ LL~ LL~
Ooh. Wish I could do that. Sounds like a big budget no profit Hollywood movie. Any investors? We'll call it Time Pilot.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2022, 09:48:23 AM »
Correction! My First Contest was the Maryland State Championships of 1963 NOT 1993! With apologies I am.....

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2022, 05:22:41 PM »
I never flew against Riley Wooten, but did meet him at a Bladder Grabber maybe 10 years ago. It was billed as "The Last Ever Bladder Grabber", and got combat heroes out of the woodwork. I'm 6'2.5" tall, and was surprised by how big that guy is. I introduced myself and told him "I thought you'd be taller." We both laughed.  y1

My main claim to combat fame was a match against Henry Nelson. Oddly enough, he was flying a Voodoo with a GH K&B .35. Like every other (of 2) match I had against a GH K&B .35, he didn't get it started!  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2022, 03:43:25 PM »
My First Contest aside from club dust ups was the Maryland State Championships of September 1963. I entered Fast Combat and flew a very well used Hornet powered by a Johnson SC.35. It flew well and by accident so di I! In my first match my opponent said "Nice Kill" and I said "Oh I'm sorry"! And so it went up to the next to last match when I had to change to my only VooDoo also powered by a CS.35 Johnson! It too was a total surprise as it flew so much better than the old Hornet! So I won that match too and was now in the flyoff for First! Imagine that! I got 3 cuts on my opponent when I proiceedde to drag my streamer through his prop thus ending the match!

I still have that very first of all trophies and it will always be a bitter sweet memory!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Lanny Shorts

• New Pilot
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2022, 09:40:59 PM »
My first contest was 1951 or 1952 in Denver at Stapleton Airfield. I flew a Viking and won a McCoy .35 for best crash. On my 3rd or 4th inside loop, static electricity went down the lines and through my Hotrock handle and electricuted me causing the crash. The club was the Ringmasters.

My next contest was a WAM contest in San Jose in 1970. I was finishing my Dolphin in the backseat while Joyce drove. I did a flight on the football field then with one flight flew in beginner. I scored 450 and they moved me into advanced.

Advertise Here

Advertise Here