News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:43:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who makes and sells the best Spitfire exaust stacks?  (Read 2675 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Who makes and sells the best Spitfire exaust stacks?
« on: February 06, 2018, 05:02:24 PM »
I have a 60 size Spitfire almost ready to paint and need the two exhaust stacks. Windy had a mold for nice resin cast ones, and I guess since he retired that's the end of them? What a shame. I wish someone would pick up the torch here and start making those again.

Offline George Grossardt

• Commander
Re: Who makes and sells the best Spitfire exaust stacks?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »
I have a 60 size Spitfire almost ready to paint and need the two exhaust stacks. Windy had a mold for nice resin cast ones, and I guess since he retired that's the end of them? What a shame. I wish someone would pick up the torch here and start making those again.

I could use a set also.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 05:42:59 PM »
I make my own and it's not all that difficult.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:21:23 PM »
Brodak, use the small ones and put 1/64 ply on the back and paint them then epoxy to fuse after the fuse is painted. I will try to find a picture of my Pat Johnston Spitfire 626 that has these they look pretty good. I have a RO Jett 67 in mine so it is considered a 60 ship. Sorry about the picture being sideways it comes from tinypic and when I post it that is the way it is.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 06:38:29 PM »
Nice Spitfire.  H^^
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »
 I used the Brodak ones on my P-40. They offer two styles, the ones shown here are item number BH-903, only $4.99 for the pair. I recessed and mounted them prior to painting though, no worries of ever knocking them off.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:28:27 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »
BLIMEY , Not This Again .

Cuttem outta K&S toob, alumn or brass , 3/8 in .
Use a thing saw. the thin one ,
On the bench running a ruler along it, you can get four equidistant parrallel lines . then Markum 2 inch. Then Middle ( 2 x 1 in. ) on opposite sides .
The 3/8 in. In , on opposite other sides & ends. For angle Cut .
Get cut started on opposite sides at middle inch, aiming at 3/8 in marks . and so on.

Then dress angle cuts & Sq Cuts. Tack Glue sq. ends aginst board & edges. File Sets ( 6 ) even on the angle .Finally solder a 1 in spacing at aft Sq Cut .

If ya wanna do a Merlin one, then whack up a tapered 1/8 steel ' V ' to ram up rears & tap in flat . Likely AFTEr fittingum .

best I can do at short notice, used to ventilate injun bay , air OUT . or Zorst .  ;)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 05:37:55 AM »
@ Avrojet "I make my own and it's not all that difficult." Do tell us how. :)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 05:44:44 AM »
@ Walter & Warbird: Those Brodak Exhausts DO look nice when finished. It was hard to tell when I seen them on the Brodak website. Very impressive Spitfire & P40!

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 05:46:31 AM »
Thanks for the reply Matt. I like the idea of using the stacks to ventilate the engine bay to. Nice work. :)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 06:23:53 AM »
@ Avrojet "I make my own and it's not all that difficult." Do tell us how. :)

Kevin,

Everything I do with modeling is in my Builds. I Post with text and photos. There's a Mig-3, Stuka Tank Buster and a P-40 build. I have others but none with exhausts. Some are at CFC Graphics vendor's corner, the others are probably some pages back.

I just cut aluminum tubes, and sand the angle then glue them to thin ply stock or balsa stock. The 'bent' ones, I bend first then trim the length, sand the angle then CA to ply or balsa stock.

A few different pliers are necessary.

They go quicker than you would think.

Sand them a bit so paint sticks. I sand everything so paint sticks.

I try to make them look reasonably scale.

Charles

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 11:50:56 AM »
There is a cottage outfit making scale stacks. Here is an eBay sale link to one of the auctions. There are specifically described as 1/5th scale P-40 stacks but... it could be useful.
https://www.ebay.com/i/173138592870?chn=ps

Here is another auction for Park Zone stacks for the Spitfire.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ParkZone-Exhaust-Stacks-Spitfire-MkIX-PKZ5710-NEW/382362463548?epid=1800130812&hash=item5906942d3c:g:oroAAOSwa3BaGfVu

Chris...

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
Long ago, I bought a set of Windy's resin molded exhaust stacks...wouldn't say they were scale, most especially not scale Merlin. When I looked at them, I thought they were heavier than heck...but at least they don't go on the tail end of the plane. I'll see if I can find them. If you need nose weight, these are da bomb!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »
I sent you a pm yesterday. I have a set.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 05:56:35 PM »
Kevin,

Everything I do with modeling is in my Builds. I Post with text and photos. There's a Mig-3, Stuka Tank Buster and a P-40 build. I have others but none with exhausts. Some are at CFC Graphics vendor's corner, the others are probably some pages back.

I just cut aluminum tubes, and sand the angle then glue them to thin ply stock or balsa stock. The 'bent' ones, I bend first then trim the length, sand the angle then CA to ply or balsa stock.

A few different pliers are necessary.

They go quicker than you would think.

Sand them a bit so paint sticks. I sand everything so paint sticks.

I try to make them look reasonably scale.

Charles
Thanks Charles. I am reading your builds, just haven't read all of them yet.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 06:11:31 PM »
@ Chris: Thanks for the reply. I actually ordered those Park Zone ones but after seeing the pictures of the Brodak ones installed on Warbird's P-40 & Walter's Spitfire, they look great.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »
Long ago, I bought a set of Windy's resin molded exhaust stacks...wouldn't say they were scale, most especially not scale Merlin. When I looked at them, I thought they were heavier than heck...but at least they don't go on the tail end of the plane. I'll see if I can find them. If you need nose weight, these are da bomb!  y1 Steve
Lol. Sure I will gladly take them. ;D

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »
The Windy ones are heavy and require quite a bit of work to get ready.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 05:54:38 AM »
The Windy ones are heavy and require quite a bit of work to get ready.
That's ok Walter, its always good to have a options.  I have a pair of them on Tsunami and I am quite happy with them.  ;D I will get both then decide.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 06:12:03 AM by kevin king »

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »
Last I saw one of Pat Johnston's P-51's, he'd made the stacks pretty much like Charles method. He leaves the tubing in bare aluminum and round. Neither round or aluminum looks particularly scale or realistic for a Rolls Merlin, but at least they're tubular and not solid epoxy...plus they're not nearly as heavy. Pretty cheap, too.  D>K  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 08:47:21 PM »
Put little beads of glue on them longitudinally and around the end for some welds and doubler 3D look. They are steel, so aluminum isn't far off for new ones. My friend coated his stacks with something like Jet-Hot that made them very bright and in the 70's guys were nickel plating them, so it's not like there weren't any bright and shiny ones.
Chris...

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 10:00:34 PM »

ME ! .  S?P %^@ Well , they work. Anyway .

Just tripped over this picture . Of my P-51 .

The Aluminums fairly soft .
Still Havnt worked up to flattening the installed brass stacks in the ' Mk 8 ' Spit.  >:(

There were actually a few ' test ' Merlin spits with custom round pipes , and BoB memorial flight  Mk 5 xx 610 had custom round pipes back aroud the 70s .
As for single stage short nose , the Seafire III had six pipes a side . As did the Shuttleworth Mk V for some time, and many others, post war .
The ' Dual stage , is the Later longer nose Merlin Spit , from Mk 7 on , give or take .

Thigs here ( in Pic ) are drilled through , for breathing . Drill goes through the alloy like cheese , so drilling post fitting is Not recomended .  :( H^^

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 10:07:39 PM »
AB610 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight . picture taken 1960 . Differant Scene back then . ROUND PIPES .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here