News:

• May 12, 2024, 02:02:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: control line longevity  (Read 3886 times)

Offline scott matthews

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
control line longevity
« on: January 23, 2011, 05:19:55 PM »
Hello fellow modelers,I have been lurking on this site for the past year after getting back into the hobbie.I have been absent for 20 years to take time to raise two daughters.I have noticed that the availability of engines and kits have changed and I wonder is this the norm for the hobbie and  its not dying off or I'm I just starting to get a little freaked out? Examples of what I'am saying is monokote does not stick ( I found this out to after 20 years its not what it used to be),super tigre engines from Tower Hobbie have been on back order for at least a year, finding parts for old engines is a quest. The thing that I'am starting to wonder is do the members of this site are starting to do what I am doing and that is: each time I get a new kit I make template's of all parts for future builds,I am also starting to buy a new motor for every kit I purchase just in case the market dries up. I'm starting to assume that most members are using RC motors and converting them to CL.I have now gotten to the point of looking around today for a belt sander to help with making template's  and sanding out parts from sheet balsa. Is this the norm for this hobbie or am I considered to be on the edge of starting to scratch build or am I starting to loose my mind? Your psycho anthologist  is appreciated.   

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: control line longevity
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:28:52 PM »
Have you looked at the Brodack website ? I to have been out of the hobby for many years been geting back into it. Seems to me there are more kits and engines then ever before. 20 yrs ago there weren't any electric motors or websites devoted to all things control line.
AMA 874027

Offline scott matthews

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:41:15 PM »
Yes I have purchased my last 3 kits from them (a Ares,Fancy Pants and my latest a Galaxy which I am now making templates of all parts) My question I guess really is does everybody start acquiring machinery to help make there own kits and parts? So far in the last 2 months I have borrowed a scroll saw from my dad and refurbished a drill press I got from work and now this week I'm going to get a belt sander.I have also placed an ordered with national balsa to make a copy of the Galaxy kit I received from brodak. I guess the snow and cold are starting to get to me.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
The last 10-12 years have seen a lot of growth in the availability of C/L goodies. Especially kits and hardware. Recent availability in electric powertrain systems have boosted intrest in those as well. I'm a gas engine type so I did stock up on Brodak 40 engines for all the classic kits I'm hoarding.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 05:42:44 PM »
The thing that I'am starting to wonder is do the members of this site are starting to do what I am doing and that is: each time I get a new kit I make template's of all parts for future builds,I am also starting to buy a new motor for every kit I purchase just in case the market dries up. I'm starting to assume that most members are using RC motors and converting them to CL.I have now gotten to the point of looking around today for a belt sander to help with making template's  and sanding out parts from sheet balsa. Is this the norm for this hobbie or am I considered to be on the edge of starting to scratch build or am I starting to loose my mind? Your psycho anthologist  is appreciated.   

I think you are looking in the wrong spots. You aren't going to find a lot of C/L stuff at the local RC Car store, that's for sure. RC isn't a lot better - essentially all there are at local hobby shops as far as airplanes go are ARFs. You would have a tough time building an RC airplane with stuff you get locally, too.

Whatever you used to buy at hobby shops you now get at various on-line suppliers.

There are FAR more good engines available now than there was 20 years ago. And some of them are very inexpensive. Yes, it's pretty hard to get ST46 parts any more but it's been discontinued for going on *30* years ago. It's not too hard to get 46LA parts, or an entire engine for cheap. It's a much better performer than what we used to run and if you take inflation into account it's an astounding bargain.

I have been doing this a long time, and I think it's far easier to get quality stuff now than it has been the entire time I have been doing it seriously.

Brett

Offline scott matthews

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
So far the only engines I do see readily available are OS, Fox and Brodak is this the majority or do you guys get them custom made from say pa aero.I have a few OS engine that are new how long do these last for future reference?

Offline scott matthews

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »
While I am on this quest to find sanity I am curiouse if anybody flies control line close to Cincinnati Ohio so maybe I can get some guidance or at least a flying partner ( can not get the daughters into it) thanks

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »
I'm flying a Fox stunt 35 I bought in 1977.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 06:12:43 PM »
Scott, there's nothing abnormal about buying or borrowing tools. It's that guy thing about making stuff. I've got more kits than I'll ever be able to build, but show me  a wood working tool that'll make making an airplane easier or more accurate and I'll get it in a heartbeat. LL~ LL~
Leester
ama 830538

Offline scott matthews

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 06:24:09 PM »
I was just curiouse if this is what everybody does when they buy a new kit .I do not want to step on anybodies toes but after doing the research for balsa wood on national balsa's web sit you can build a Galaxy kit for around $24.00 in wood and $ 14.00 for hardware at brodak. I am not trying to cheap ,out on brodak because their are alot of kits I still want to purchase but I was wondering if this is what most of you guys do ( find a kit you like and make it where you do not have to order it).

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 06:32:46 PM »
I was just curiouse if this is what everybody does when they buy a new kit .I do not want to step on anybodies toes but after doing the research for balsa wood on national balsa's web sit you can build a Galaxy kit for around $24.00 in wood and $ 14.00 for hardware at brodak. I am not trying to cheap ,out on brodak because their are alot of kits I still want to purchase but I was wondering if this is what most of you guys do ( find a kit you like and make it where you do not have to order it).

I have a bunch of kits. Most of them are from Umland, RSM, and Brodak and I don't intend to copy any of them. I have too many to bother ever building more than one of each anyway. I suppose if you want to build six Galaxys, it might be worth it. But I think Brodak is going to be around for a while anyway.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »
For kits you have Brodak, RSM and Black Hawk Models and a few smaller manufactures.  You can also get engines from Enya and Cox through Sam's Stuff and Hobbies.
     As a manufacture I would point out that copying kits that are in production just drives manfactures out of business ... not a good idea. Brodak offers about 100 kits and Black Hawk Models offers over 100 different kits RSM has a large number too so kits and engines are available.
     Control Line is growing with all of the new Baby Boomers so you can expect lots more and there are getting to be more hobby stores that carry Control Line kits too.

Larry

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »
I think the hardest part for a newcommer to 2011 Flying is knowing WHAT to buy. Sure there is many great online hobby stores, Control line Central is one of the best stores Ive ever delt with - they will give you advice also. Forums like this there is an abundance of advice from people ranging from your local sunday park flier to past Nats winners and World Champions.

Its a great source.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 07:07:15 PM »
You gotta have a belt sander.

I'll email you some Cincinnati contacts.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »
Scott, don't forget Ebay as a source of engines, kits,  propellers, etc.  Over the last 10 years, I have acquired a fairly extensive collections of engines, kits, and other equipment that was manufactured over the last 60 years.  Back in the day, I wished to have these items, but could not afford them.  Some kits can get expensive, especially Veco, Dumas, Midwest and Sterling because the collectors get into the bidding.  I have gotten some extremely good prices on Brodak kits sold on Ebay, however.  Engines, for the most part are very reasonable, pricewise, expecially certain K&B Greenheads, Foxes, McCoy and O.S. Max.  Ebay has served me well on getting items I have always wanted and I think it could help you out too.....TDurrill    y1    H^^
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:24:41 PM by Terrence Durrill »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 08:01:51 PM »
If you really want to scratch build, check out Flying Models magazine.  They are a cornucopia of plans for control line stunters -- there have been years when they have had a new control line precision aerobatic plan in every single issue.  Plans aren't all that expensive, and if you're like me and want to roll your own from really scratch you can go over lots and lots of options, cherry-picking the best ideas from a wide variety of planes, and go on from there.

I suspect, although I don't know, that Control Line World will do the same for you.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 08:40:03 PM »
Enya and others sell new C/L engines. Besides the larger manufacturers there are several of us small kit manufacturers selling laser cut kits and short kits.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Lieutenant
    • Dayton Buzzin' Buzzards Home
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »
Scott,

I sent you some Cincinnati contact info.  Please email me if you have any questions.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 08:30:02 AM »
Even if you build only from kits a belt / disk sander and a drill press will pay enormous dividends. Drilling engine mount holes in hardwood mounts is possible, but sooo much more accurate and esier with a drill press.

A belt / disk sander makes short work of sanding a profile fuse, tapering edges on flaps / elevators, and a host of other tasks.

In my small but crowded shop I have a bench top mounted drill press & bandsaw, a scrollsaw and belt / disk sander on a flip top roll around stand, and a couple Dremel tools. Those plus a bunch of X-acto knives and sanding blocks let me do just about anything needed to build from a kit or plans.

Ryobi, Sears, Delta all make suitable bench top tools, more $$ = higher quality, but for about $100 each the Ryobi stuff works fine on most materials we use, Delta stuff is about 2X as much money- but equally higher in quality and construction.  Watch Craigs list, go to garage sales, and check out Harbor Freight for bargains on tools.

Welcome back- life is good in CL these days, and answers to almost any question are just a few mouse cliks and a message away.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 08:35:23 AM »
Hey Bruce, where's the rest of your airplane?  Hope you're keeping warm down there in the deep Ohio south!
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »
HI Scott,

You are perfectly sane. ;D  Most of us do what you are doing, to some degree or another. 

You will find the sources of good C/L stuff and it will become second nature.   There is more available now than there was 20-25 years ago, thanks in large part to John Brodak, Eric Rule and Tom Morris (Jim Snelson carries all of Tom's parts at CLC) who have made the ancillary (control system parts, tanks, etc., ) parts readily available.  Sam's Stuff, Northcoast Hobbies (??-Wayne Buran) are just two of the C/L dedicated shops online. 

Check out the Vendors Corner here on site! ;D

As to the longevity of your engines, they will last for years, all depending on the quality of care you give them.  There are plenty of "engine guys", like our own Randy Smith, who supply engines and parts for our needs.

Have fun, C/L is in the best shape its been in for decades!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline scott matthews

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 01:46:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for the positive feed back and the e-mail contacts. Now I just need to wait a few days longer for my gov. refund and that porter cable belt sander will be mine.

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 03:36:18 PM »
Hey Bruce, where's the rest of your airplane?  Hope you're keeping warm down there in the deep Ohio south!
Will

I carefully crop out the crummy-looking portions of the plane %^

Hope to see you guys at the AF Museum tour.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 10:26:57 PM »
BTW: Bruce, what are the specs on that Cardinal?  I can see the name "Cardinal" on the wing and from what there is actually visible, it looks pretty good! ;D  What is the "color"?

Thanks
Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bruce Reynolds

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 09:59:35 AM »
Bill,

I’ll try to give you the “short answer.”   ;D

The plane is a Cardinal Evolution 40, with an ST .46, that was originally built by my dad years ago.  It might have had 250 flights on it.  When I got back into the hobby ~2-1/2 years ago, he let me use it to re-learn the pattern.  Wouldn’t you know it, I pancaked it in inverted after less than 40 flights and broke off the fuselage at the trailing edge of the wing.

I tore off all of the covering and grafted on a new fuse.  I didn’t take too many pains filling dings and such.  The cowl was quite oil-soaked and despite repeated attempts to leach out the oil, I wasn’t very successful.  I went ahead and painted it anyway.  :P

The finish is a dope substrate, Duplicolor rattle-can Filler/Primer, and Omni basecoat/clearcoat.  The color is Sunburst Orange Metallic.  I don’t think I got quite enough clear on it because I’m getting “crinkle finish” effects around the engine area.  The lettering was my first attempt at making inkjet decals.

Despite my whining, it’s a pretty good flyer, especially after I whacked ¾” off of the flaps.  It flew well enough to score a win in my second stunt contest (Advanced at the last FCM.)

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 10:08:18 AM »
Thanks, Bruce. 

I have not seen any of Windy's "40 size" planes around here.  From what I can see, it looks just fine.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 03:04:31 PM »
Scott, if you want to have fun building from parts you cut yourself, go ahead.  Then the next sorry step will be trying a few "modifications", and then it's a long slide down a slippery slope to building everything from scratch, maybe without even a plan!
phil Cartier

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 03:12:25 PM »

I carefully crop out the crummy-looking portions of the plane %^

Hope to see you guys at the AF Museum tour.

Hey, I understand Bruce!  here's a picture of mine after doing that.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »
Scott, if you want to have fun building from parts you cut yourself, go ahead.  Then the next sorry step will be trying a few "modifications", and then it's a long slide down a slippery slope to building everything from scratch, maybe without even a plan!

LL~ LL~ LL~

Sounds like you have been there, done that, a few times, eh, Phil?

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here