News:

• May 19, 2024, 04:12:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMA Nationals  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Derek Barry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AMA Nationals
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »
It has been brought to my attention that a comment that I made on this forum has upset some people. Just let me start out by saying that I have absolutely nothing against electric powered models. As a matter of fact I have flown a few and I was sufficiently impressed. Any comments that I have made in the past regarding electric were all intended to be tongue and cheek, nothing more.
 I made a comment in response to a post someone made, they stated that they predicted an electric would win this years Nats. My comment was "Don't bet on it". Apparently it was perceived that I was implying that there was some sort of bias against electrics. This could not be further from the truth. The comment I made was strictly in the spirit of competition and the only thing that I was trying to imply was that I was going to do my best to win, just as I have done for many years. An electric could very well win this Nats, but so could a PA or a ST 60, or a four stroke. Again, all I was implying was that I was going to do my best to win.
  I can assure all of you that Dave and I have done, and will do our best to run a fair, honest, and unbiased AMA Nationals.  The judges at the Nats are well trained and are told to score the pattern and nothing else. I hope this clears up any misconceptions about me or my intentions.

Derek Barry
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:16:46 PM by Derek Barry »

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
Re: AMA Nationals
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:43:09 PM »
  It has become quite apparent, that you are indeed a high ranking smartass (after all you missed the top five by only .04).

That being said, I always enjoy your humor and your competitive nature.  I only wish that some people were not so thin skinned.

Good luck at the NATs. As I recall, I predicted that you  place right behind Brett, .04 back.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »
Thank you Larry.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:10:08 PM »
Derek    I am so upset,you forgot to add the Fox .35. My what ever will I do. #^
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »
There was NOTHING to apologize for:
I saw the comment, it was nothing, and certainly no worse than the comment that it was in reply to.
Sounds like anyone that took offense to that needs to get off of their computer , push the keyboard away...  and relax for a while !!

Randy Smith
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:03:14 PM by RandySmith »

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »
You have to be kidding right?  This is a joke post right? 

Someone got wound up over "Don't bet on it."

Wow....

Randy is right, time for a break.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Eric Viglione

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »
I'll repeat my response from the other forum:

Gee Derek, all I thought you were doing was assuring the IC guys that the Nat's wasn't already rigged for an EPower to win, since so many on here were predicting an EPower win long before you said anything.   ???

Sounds like someone needs to take a chill pill, heck, they even allow the Repub's equal air time for their response to the Dem's!   LL~

EricV

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 02:18:31 PM »
I know Derek is not allergic to electric power.  He hand launched mine at Joe Nall.
Jim Vigani

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 02:33:43 PM »
Derek,There is nothing wrong with being assertive and brimming with self confidence.Inviting others to step to the plate and take a whack at the prize is what this is all about.Ruffling the competitions feathers makes them fly better so we fly better.No need to apologize for that.

As for 2 weeks til the Nats. I really am going a week early to practice and judge C/L scale and dare I say it practice some more!!!!!I have been flying the whole pattern for less than a year and did quite well at Brodak and I am bringing nothing less than 110% to the Nats.Going for the 2 peat is in my plans and if feathers are ruffled by that "Get mad,go practice and come ready.I ain't holding nothing back".You go get'em Derek and don't look back.Competition is what this is all about.See ya's all at the Nats or sooner in the meantime I'll be burnin' electrons or fuel or both.
                                              Practice,Practice,Practice....... y1 y1 y1
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
Derek, there will no such apologies from me. You get in the that car, go to the Nats, and whip that electric flying plane bootie like your supposed to. When it comes to I.C. your job is to represent!! And, that means bootie kickin. The only thing I want to hear from you is that, that Matrix of yours made everbody wish they stayed home.

Now get busy. mw~   
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 04:20:47 PM »
Derek, apparently there are some who fail to read your amusing comments in so many posts that are there in the most humorous sense of the word.  sheesh, get a life someone, Derek is just a funny and competitive guy who is to be enjoyed by all.  (Truthfully, I think he and Howard are twins born to different parents.) LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 04:59:21 PM »
Hi Derek,
Thank you for the apology, I was very offended.
Chris...

Offline Bob Whitely

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »
Hey Derek,

I have to agree with Chris on this.  It bothered me so much that the electric
model   I was building ended up in the trash can. Just finding out that electrics
had no chance of winning or dare I say even placing really bummed me out.
I had no choice but to build a new Derringer with a custom DS60.  I kinda
think it will fly ok.  I'm just sayin'....RJ

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »
I for one, just want to stay that I think your rise to the top of the sport is fantastic. And I think your building and workmanship represents the highest ideals we as stunt flyers espouse.  Make no mistake about it, the people you are going to go up against have the absolute confidence in their ability to win, and you need the same.

I normally don't share anything about my doings, but I will share with you that the R&D that I am doing is designed to go up against ANYTHING flying in the world today. As to just what exactly whether I will win or not, I don't know. But, let me make this clear, what's driving it is a will thats difficult to explain.My initiation into this sport was that, the guys who were willing to work hard AND had confidence won-the guys who didn't lost.  

Attached are pictures of the recent 2012 F3A World Cup in Cerceda Spain. It was won by Gerhard Mayr Flying his Toxiris. Everybody was flying electric. Gerhard blew them away with his YS 175. This is not the first time he has done it. The reason I am posting these pictures is because,Gerhard has put an enormous amount of work into developing that plane. F3A is supposed to be the one division where the I.C. cannot win. Gerhard is not hearing it.  His R&D has rendered their technical advantage moot.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:00:40 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 07:43:48 PM »
Derek, I agree with what Randy Smith and Will Hinton said. After all, if someone questions your integrity as a event director let them step foreward and volunteer to be the event director next year. Some people need to take a break and exhale.
By the way, it was a lot of fun flying with you at the "Joe Nall" last month. See ya in a couple of weeks.

Blessings
Allen

The 600x600 grass area is in good shape, marked and mowed close. Of course there is no "green" grass in Indiana right now.
No rain for three weeks now and the temperatures for the next five days are 104 Thur.,99 Fri. 99, Sat. & 101 Sun., with no rain.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »
I hope this clears up any misconceptions about me or my intentions.

Well, I guess I gave all those torches and pitchforks to an angry mob for nothing. You aways ruin everything! 

Brett

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 10:10:20 PM »
Derek, This might be a bit off topic but there is a point be made here.
In a prior thread, you picked your self to win and some may have found that to be arrogant and cocky. But if you do not commit yourself to that mindset, you are beat before you first official flight.
When I was playing baseball I used to feel sorry for the hitters that had to face me. Was I that awesome? No. But I always thought that as long as I'm the one throwing, I had the edge. I knew what I was going to throw and where I was going to throw it. I made myself believe that I was better than any hitter that had the misfortune of facing me. This aggressive, arrogant mindset made me better than I was.
I only wish I could develop that same mindset when I fly toy airplanes.

Good luck at the NATs

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team 

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »
Larry, I used to have that same mindset many years ago when I was ..."entertaining young ladies."   ;D
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here