News:

• April 24, 2024, 01:38:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who's going to the Stunt-A-Thon this weekend?  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Who's going to the Stunt-A-Thon this weekend?
« on: June 20, 2012, 11:27:59 PM »
Whozall going to the Stunt-A-Thon?  I can hardly wait despite the forecast  #^ - even if we have to dodge the showers.

Seems like it has been very well attended in the recent past so I hope this year is the same.

I'm booking rooms tomorrow, so if anyone has any suggestions on good vs bad, or Stunt-A-Thon friendly rates let me know.

Cheers,
Doug
AMA 60591

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Who's going to the Stunt-A-Thon this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:57:57 PM »
I'll be coming up for the day, if I can get enough work done in the next two days.  I had originally meant to just come up Saturday, because I am not much of a morning person -- but fair weather and yawns on Sunday is starting to appeal more.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:48:16 AM »
I'll be coming up for the day, if I can get enough work done in the next two days.  I had originally meant to just come up Saturday, because I am not much of a morning person -- but fair weather and yawns on Sunday is starting to appeal more.

It will be great to see you there. Plus, Intermediate is Sunday.  I see you flew Sportsman Profile and Intermediate at this contest previously - I'm thinking about the same for flight time sake.

AMA 60591

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
I plan to be there for both days.  Nice to go somewhere and just fly!
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 01:25:22 AM »
I plan to be there for both days.  Nice to go somewhere and just fly!

I bet!  The time and effort you and Mike Hazel (and those I don't know about) put into the NW Regional was apparent.  THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I wonder if anybody is getting together for pre-contest festivities (dinner) on Friday?
AMA 60591

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »
A group of us will be out there fri afternoon to set up. I'm not aware of any plans for friday nite but if you come out I'm sure you could coax a few to hang out at the restaurant there. they serve excellent food and have a nice deck overlooking the flying circle. Great spot for spectators.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 08:57:03 PM »
So, at what point do you decide it's too rainy and bag it?  I'm looking at the rain outside the window and the weather report, and wondering if I show up tomorrow if I'll be looking at empty wet asphalt, or wet asphalt with planes.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 09:32:27 PM »
50/50 for me. I may have to work. We'll see in the am.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »
The field is set up, all we need is fliers!  I learned a long time ago that if you choose live in this part of the World you shouldn't make your outdoor plans around a weather forcast.  You won't do much if you do!  Most of the time, the weather isn't as bad as forcast.  Also, June is notorious for less than splendid weather around these parts.  We have two seasons here, Winter and August y1
Mike

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
The rain is warmer in the Summer 8)
mike potter

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 08:36:46 AM »
Sounds like your weather is like KANSAS/MISSOURI,  if you don't like what you have today, just wait a day or two.

One year our RC club hosted a fun fly.  The local stations said weather was going to be great with lots of  sun and very little wind.  Most rain I had seen for two days.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 09:18:17 AM »
Oops! Was completing the last of 4 practice flights before I was going to leave for the contest. Had plenty of time on the clock and went for 1 more horizontal square = finishing repairs today. Hope to see you Sunday.
AMA 60591

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 03:48:34 PM »
Well, I managed to get to the contest but we were rained out. Pounding this morning and into the early afternoon. Weather report was for more of the same so we decided to bail. Try again tomorrow.

It was entertaining watching John Thompson and Chris Sackett flying old time in a downpour. Dedicated guys. Chris was flying a monoline Ringmaster. At least his lines wouldn't stick together.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »
Navy Carrier and OTS is complete (and put away wet!). Everything else will be flown Sunday.

Some wiseguy did a quick survey and discovered that except for two, we could have had the stunt side of the contest during the week. Pete Ferguson and John Thompson had to be the holdouts (i.e., employable).  ;) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 07:59:54 PM »
You left out that the weather was perfect on Wednesday and Thrusday.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 08:16:13 PM »
You guys need to move to Tucson.  (Of course right now the temperature here is 104F, so you might want to wait a few months.)
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 08:22:24 PM »
You guys need to move to Tucson.  (Of course right now the temperature here is 104F, so you might want to wait a few months.)

I would happily move to Tucson. Or, I would happily stay here, if I could get my wife to move to Tucson.  CLP**
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »
I have to miss this weekend. I planed on it...BUT...... my dog ate my keys......the sky was falling......it's up hill ..BOTH WAYS....... n~
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »
See, now that's just not nice. Send her to someplace warm with scenery. Hawaii, maybe. That takes a long flight.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 07:47:50 AM »
I would have moved to Tuscon after the second VSC, but the wife and kids have me under control with some drug.   Kona Hawaii, Big Island is my second choice.  Hope today is better for you  guys.   Whoops, just looked at weather map and it does not look good for you guys/gals. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 02:25:02 PM »
I would have gone to Stunt-A-Thon, but I couldn't spell "PYALUP" "PUAYLLUP?"

F.Carter
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 10:17:12 PM »
Today's weather was much better with all events completed including what was rained out yesterday.  I was busy judging and BS'n but got a couple of pictures.  Note the sunshine and lack of wind.
Mike

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 10:21:05 PM »
What looks like a cannon really is a monoline handle (cover) for Chris Sackett's monoline Ringmaster.  He flew in old time stunt and flew just fine thank you.
Mike

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »
I just got a note from Alan Resinger, Just a teaser while we wait for the official results. On Sunday Expert----Chris Cox 1st     Paul Walker 2nd    Alan Resinger 3rd.       Keith    (Sitting at home with a sore back )

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
Hated missing this contest,, I always loved the challange of flying in the washing machine,, glad you got all the flights in guys!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »
Yea, Alan had a bit of a problem. Must be the design. A gust of wind came through the pits and flipped Alan's plane over and dinged the canopy and rudder.

Chris flew very well. Paul is still trimming. And Alan looked good. Actually Mike H looked pretty good too. All Electric quartet.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 07:24:47 PM »
I noticed that Randy had a Bancheap (no flaps) in his car, for Tim. I had the old blue turdkey along, intending to at least have Tim fly it. Tim didn't show up, so I entered Advanced and Profile Expert, and trophied in both. The wind direction was generally variable, but predominantly better than the usual "over the building" BS.

This contest is a lot more work for the management than the same contest would be at Auburn Muni, and with only one circle instead of two (if you don't count the grass at Thun, which few want to fly on, tho some will). Don't be surprised if there's a suggestion to change to Auburn for next year. It's not only a better site for the contestants, it's much better for the management.  010!   Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 08:11:19 PM »
I noticed that Randy had a Bancheap (no flaps) in his car, for Tim. I had the old blue turdkey along, intending to at least have Tim fly it. Tim didn't show up, so I entered Advanced and Profile Expert, and trophied in both. The wind direction was generally variable, but predominantly better than the usual "over the building" BS.

This contest is a lot more work for the management than the same contest would be at Auburn Muni, and with only one circle instead of two (if you don't count the grass at Thun, which few want to fly on, tho some will). Don't be surprised if there's a suggestion to change to Auburn for next year. It's not only a better site for the contestants, it's much better for the management.  010!   Steve

I showed up Saturday about 12:30 to a wet field with no one in it.  I was 30 minutes down the road toward home before it occurred to me that I should have poked my nose into the restaurant to see if anyone was in there & say 'hi'.  I had work to do yesterday, so I couldn't make another try.

C'est la vie.
AMA 64232

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »
I like Thun.  The restaurant adjacent to the circle has good hash browns.  The biggest Thun drawback is the prospect of finding an airplane parked in the circle for the weekend.  
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
I like Thun.  The restaurant adjacent to the circle has good hash browns.  The biggest Thun drawback is the prospect of finding an airplane parked in the circle for the weekend.  

That's why some of us have to drive an hour (or more) each way on Friday. I'm kinda tired of that nonsense.  y1 Steve

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 10:07:01 PM »
Those of us too lazy to make that Friday trip do appreciate your doing it. 

I followed your directions and took the shortcut, despite the continuing advice to the contrary from Emily.  Meridian has no attraction anymore, now that the Krispy Kreme is gone. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 11:15:46 AM »
Regarding the GPS directions...I get the same bad advise from the Aussie bird. Take Meridian to 152nd, turn right, stay the course to 122nd, turn left, go one block past Military Rd. E. and turn right at the light. That puts you onto Military, for no good reason, except that you dodge an acute angle stop with poor visibility. Next stop is Western Australia Hwy. 162, where you turn left toward Sumner. She's always good for a giggle, especially if I'm looking for a teriyaki source.

Talking to Chris Cox, confirming my intention to go to the Western Canadian Stunt Champs in Richmond. Ah, but of course. Nobody should miss that one...the border crossing is an insignificant delay now, with video/computer scanning of your mug as you drive up to the drive-thru window. Passport or "enhanced" driver's license is req'd.
Sounds like he's going to "Prairie Fire" (aka "Perry Fire") in Edmonton, but I have not found any indication of when that contest will be held. Maybe somebody knows? Anybody?  @@^ Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 08:44:55 AM »
If you think the GPS is taking you in a strange route.  Try Yahoo or Google maps sometimes.   The year I used Garmin to go to Florida, I had her so confused.   I lost count of how U turns I was supposed to make.  I study maps before I make a long distance trip any where.  even AAA doesn't show me the best shortest or quickest route.  I like the scenic routes when I am feeling good. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 11:40:19 AM »
Looks like the electrics are really showing their stuff.

Bob's Crossfire design looks like a total winner, but curiously subject to dust devils, etc. First Bob's and now Allan's.  Chris better beware!
AMA 7544

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 12:52:24 PM »
I suggested a cloth with sand bags on the ends...
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »
Looks like the electrics are really showing their stuff.

Bob's Crossfire design looks like a total winner, but curiously subject to dust devils, etc. First Bob's and now Allan's.  Chris better beware!
maybe it should be called the Crosswind,, instead of the Crossfire? ;D
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »
maybe it should be called the Crosswind,, instead of the Crossfire? ;D
THAT'S FOR SURE...ALA' LAST YEAR'S TESTAMENTS!
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »
That sure wasn't this year. No clouds or rain. And this year no goofy bronze/orange planes.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »
That sure wasn't this year. No clouds or rain. And this year no goofy bronze/orange planes.
Now Randy,, you will see the Gold airplane again,, this year even if I have my way about it,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »
We'll look forward to seeing the "Golden Avenger" in August. Don't forget to bring the muffler this time.  y1 Steve

Advertise Here
Tags: contest 

Advertise Here