News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:02:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where does everyone fly?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Where does everyone fly?
« on: June 27, 2018, 06:14:14 PM »
So the question is where we all fly??  Club owned fields? Public area?  Your own place? 

My spot is a field owned by a local church. They don't do anything with it, and is about 2 acres in area.  I offered to keep a suitable area mowed in exchange for the use. (Tell you what, mowing a circle 150' in dia, with a push mower, takes a while!).   Today I even went and applied some weed&feed to the place.  Best of all I can be there in 10 minutes and there's never any competition for use of it.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Where does everyone fly?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 06:22:47 PM »
The club im in "The Baton Rouge Bi-Liners" has a LARGE city owned piece of land outside of Baton Rouge that is solely dedicated to Control Line flying after they took over the previous "field" and destroyed the concrete circles to make a parking lot for a water park.... on the very day I wanted to get back into flying... kinda crazy.

But the field is great... they cut the grass for the whole field but we or several of tge club members who live close by cuts tge circles couple times a week.

Excellent field for a contest with 2 main circles with 6ftx6ft concrete squares in the center and a full grass circle for practice.

Our next contest is 3rd week of Oct. And I beg and urge all to come!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 07:52:48 PM »
Tucson Arizona, Christopher Columbus Park Control Line Flying area.  6 dedicated circles; two paved and three grass, and one partially paved for Drone Flying.  Provided to the Cholla Choppers Model Airplane Club by the Tucson Parks and Recreation Department.  The Parks and Recreation Department also maintains the condition of the grass and trash, the club is responsible for the maintenance of the paved circles.

This is, of course, the Home of The VSC (Vintage Stunt Championships).

We are forever grateful for this fine flying site!

Randy Cuberly
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:07:12 PM by Randy Cuberly »
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 08:01:32 PM »
I fly at two fields in Florida....
Venice Radio Controllers, an RC field with a paved runway about 15 miles from my house. Also has a 3/4 paved CL circle. No water and very little electric.
Manatee County Radio Controllers, about 37 miles from the house.....grass RC runway, 1/4 paved CL circle, running water, refreshments and plenty of electric.

Here on the Poconos, the GSCB or Middlesex fields are about 80 miles, Philly more.

I am planning to get to Bernie's deal this weekend.

Have fun

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 08:09:35 PM »
The church I belong to has allowed me to fly at their Activities Building lot. There is a nice, new, smooth concrete parking area with 120 feet between the parking lights on four sides. The grass area is easily 150 per side, but it is about to be built on. Another area is big enough for RC, but it never gets mowed. I may ask for mowing/flying permission on the unused parcel.

I live a mile from the facility, so it is really easy to get to. I've attempted to coerce/bribe/hire my boys into the hobby, but it doesn't grab them like the little light boxes they walk around holding. Two RC gentlemen in the area have been approached, but they live too far away to be interested. Besides, they don't like spinning in circles. Oddly enough, the FAA count for local registered fliers of any type exceeds 25 registrations...dunno who or where, but they haven't shown up while I'm flying.
So phooey on the world-I now fly from a stooge solo!

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 08:35:19 PM »
The "illustrious" Philly Fliers have two fields in the Pennsylvania State Park System. One field is at the Neshaminy State Park. We are responsible for cutting the grass. We have two circles there. We also have a ten year lease with the state.We get this lease for free. We hold our OTS and Profile contest there.
The other field is located about 10 minutes away at the Benjamin Rush State Park in Northeast Phila. It is a magnificent site with 2 circles. When we hold our Pampa contest we move to the main R/C runway. On contest day we can run 3 circles. We are responsible for grass cutting here as well. This site has clean bathrooms, Canopies for shade. It is a wonderful site.
Lastly we have a site at a local  business near the NE Philly airport where we run combat meets not requiring mufflers......Thanks,PhillySkip

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 10:03:19 PM »
Hello I envy you guys in the USA with so man nice sites and clubs to choose from!  :o
Here in New Zealand it looks like our next Nationals will be spread over 3 separate control line sites many miles apart .
Oh well at least I can still fly at home in the 'dry season' or at local school an hours drive away.

Regards Gerald
from one of those little islands in the South Pacific

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 10:10:34 PM »
Hello I envy you guys in the USA with so man nice sites and clubs to choose from!  :o
Here in New Zealand it looks like our next Nationals will be spread over 3 separate control line sites many miles apart .
Oh well at least I can still fly at home in the 'dry season' or at local school an hours drive away.

Regards Gerald
from one of those little islands in the South Pacific

Yes, and an incredibly beautiful place!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 10:25:02 PM »
Randy

Isn't Silverbell lake very very close to your circles?

if it is, we used to race our model boats there in teh 80's.

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 10:45:18 PM »
The three nearest flying fields to me are Delta Park (Portland OR), about 18 miles NW of here, the Salem airport, about 40 miles south of here, and Chehalis Airport, about 110 miles north (I only go there for contests).  All of them paved, all of them with grass fields off to the side.  I guess I'm lucky...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 10:51:02 PM »
Randy

Isn't Silverbell lake very very close to your circles?

if it is, we used to race our model boats there in teh 80's.

Carl

Carl,
The Boat Racing lake is exactly behind where I was standing when I took those photos!  In other words right next to the flying field!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 11:06:41 PM »
I live in a airpark community. My flying field is around 200 feet from my house, right across the taxiway.
The grass is in beautiful condition as I mow it regularly.  :)
There is actually room for around 50 circles in my (yet undeveloped) neighborhood.
That's the good news.  ;D
The bad news is that I have to fly alone.  :-[
The nearest control line flyer to me is over an hour and a half away.
Bob Z.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 12:52:35 AM »
Robert, where are you located??

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 02:43:20 AM »
Huntersville NC , David B Waymer park, RC runway, 2 paved Circles , I grass circle , 3 additional circles on grass for contest , Park Pass required , $25 a year. County owned and maintained,  31 years in the Making , home of 2 contest , many fun fly events and monthly club meetings of Metrolina Control Line Society
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 06:19:07 AM »
Robert, where are you located??

Gary

Hi, Gary.
I am in Manning, SC 29102.
My airpark identifier is SC41.
The website is:  Palmettoairplantation.com
I am on lot 37.

Bob Z.

Offline jim ballard

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 06:51:26 AM »
I keep a 180' circle mowed in my back yard between the house and the lake.  :)
Tempting fate and gravity one more time....

Jim Ballard
Blackwell, TX
AMA 62811

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 09:27:14 AM »
Dave Trible and my self fly in one of the isolated parks of the Shawnee Mission Park system.  Dave is the one who found it.   Had it in good shape a few years ago until some brainless turd thought it was for his mud vehicle.   We spent several days hauling railroad ties but that didn't deter it.  So now I'm driving 5 foot steel posts next to the ties.   The rebar pieces were not long enough.   Getting ready to go put some cement blocks in the center for me.  Dave has done a lot of work trying to get this field in usable shape as it is only a few miles drive.   The new Topeka circle is a 70 mile drive for me and is grass.  The Fleming Park site in Missouri is 30+ miles one way.   You need park pass also for it.  Hopefully I will pictures later.  Time to get to work. H^^

Dave has done most of the work trying to keep circle flyable.  First pics is what the brainless turd did.  Las \t pictures is steel post I have set plus the cement blocks I put down today.  Tested them out doing an imaginary flight when I got done.  Yes it was hot and humid. HB~>
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:34:24 PM by john e. holliday »
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 02:28:28 PM »
The usual place; Breitenbach SUI. Pretty & turbulent, and max line lenght 62,5' from model cl to handle cl. (Pic. 1)
A much better place just an hour and half further away in Cirič, Italy. OK with full lenght lines, usually hot & calm. (Pic. 2)

L

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »
Dave Trible and my self fly in one of the isolated parks of the Shawnee Mission Park system.  Dave is the one who found it.   Had it in good shape a few years ago until some brainless turd thought it was for his mud vehicle.   We spent several days hauling railroad ties but that didn't deter it.  So now I'm driving 5 foot steel posts next to the ties.   The rebar pieces were not long enough.   Getting ready to go put some cement blocks in the center for me.  Dave has done a lot of work trying to get this field in usable shape as it is only a few miles drive.   The new Topeka circle is a 70 mile drive for me and is grass.  The Fleming Park site in Missouri is 30+ miles one way.   You need park pass also for it.  Hopefully I will pictures later.  Time to get to work. H^^

Dave has done most of the work trying to keep circle flyable.  First pics is what the brainless turd did.  Las \t pictures is steel post I have set plus the cement blocks I put down today.  Tested them out doing an imaginary flight when I got done.  Yes it was hot and humid. HB~>

That guy who likes to play in the mud will be very upset when those steel posts rip a hole in his gas tank.........maybe he will find another place to play.     D>K       H^^

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
Buder Park in St Louis MO - Home of the Lafayette Esquadrille CL Club

https://lafayetteesquadrillecl.wordpress.com/

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale