News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:01:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying CD's  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Flying CD's
« on: November 26, 2007, 08:31:52 AM »
No not the music or video kind... Looking for opinions on if a Contest Director should/could fly at a contest he is the CD of? I could find no rule against it...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Flying CD's
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:34:23 AM »
I do not know of a rule against it, like you say.  I would think it would depend on the size of the contest, the contestants and the CD.........

I don't remember going to a contest where the CD flew, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened, by a long shot! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 09:32:32 AM »
I have a vague idea that the rules say it can be done if a qualified person serves as CD while the CD is flying.  Given that, I would have no objection.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:23:12 AM »
The current AMA rules are available at the AMA web site.  In the current PDF file, General Section, page 9, para 11, is very explicit about this subject.  CDs of AAA and above sanctioned contests cannot compete.  At other contests the procedures to follow are noted.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Darrell Mims

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 11:25:01 AM »
 8)  I don't see that he /or She would have the time or be prepaired to do such !

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 11:53:53 AM »
I don't see that he /or She would have the time or be prepaired to do such !

Actually, it's not as bad as it may seem.

I haven't run a contest in a while, but I used to CD and fly on a regular basis. If I had everything set up right, many of the tasks were delegated to willing volunteers, leaving me with the majority of the pre and post-event paperwork. If you have enough help, then everyone can do a small job and everyone can still have plenty of time to compete.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 02:55:23 PM »
No Problem,

As Don said: go here:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/compreg.aspx             

The rule is very clear. In our club we do it all the time, (have been for many years) and our contests usually have 25 to 40 entries. We just make sure that another CD becomes the "Acting CD" during the time of our flights. As Ron said, if all positions are properly filled then the CD easily has time to fly a few flights. I have only CD two AAA events, at those I would not consider flying, even if the rules allowed it. With 62 entries it keeps a CD on his toes.  n~ 

If you are a CD and you are going to fly at your contest you may want to have a print out of this rule (pg 9) to show anyone who grumbles about it? Not that anyone has ever grumbled about anything at a CLPA contest???  LL~

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 03:05:42 PM »
As stated by many others, CD's can fly if replaced by another CD, and it's done all the time.

The crux of the matter is how many active CD's are there in the area?

If there are five or more, each CD can easily sit out one contest a year and "just CD".

If there are only one or two CD's in the area, you can't expect them to refrain from entering every contest they work. 

If some non-CD's are bothered by the practice, maybe they should upgrade to CD themselves and then just CD and not fly.
Paul Smith

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 04:54:48 PM »
I think that it's pretty much accepted around the right coast.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 10:58:02 PM »
I think that it's pretty much accepted around the right coast.

I should have mentioned (Reply #6) that I am on the Left Coast, and it is pretty much accepted in many other clubs out here too.
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 06:10:55 AM »

If some non-CD's are bothered by the practice, maybe they should upgrade to CD themselves and then just CD and not fly.

That is a great idea.

Unfortunately most of the big whiners wont do anything themselves no matter what type of event it is.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 07:52:46 AM »
Thanks for the feedback gang...

We have 3 new CD's in Tulsa with another thats going to apply for CD status fairly soon. We only host two contests a year, actually 3 now that we are going to split the Triathlon and Mirror Meet into separate events. Of course as with most CL clubs we are fairly small and it would be nice if whoever is the CD would be able to fly if he so desired... Looks like the general feelings are it wouldn't be a problem as long as he has a backup and with 4 or 5 local CD's finding a backup wouldn't be a problem.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »
Unless the AMA has changed the sanction form,  there is a place for assistant CD.   I know of quite few contests that the CD has flown in an event in the contest he/she was the main CD.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 02:05:36 PM »
Since the Skill Classes were adopted as separate classes, it's possible to stage a AAA contest with just Precision Aerobatics....why the Academy doesn't fly skill classes at the Nationals is beyond me.

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 03:07:12 PM »
Since the Skill Classes were adopted as separate classes, it's possible to stage a AAA contest with just Precision Aerobatics....why the Academy doesn't fly skill classes at the Nationals is beyond me.

Rich,

I agree completely, but this is not the best time or place to start that argument.

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 03:08:35 PM »

HI Rich  

they do fly skill classes at the NATs,   Beginner ..... intermediate ... Advanced ,  and  they  also add  in  Jr.   SR.   and   Open  #^

And  in regards to Bob's  original question, I personally think it is a bad idea  to fly in a contest you are CDing.  We used to run several contest a year here, an d there  were  3 of us that are  CDs. We just alternated  so the other 2 could fly at  contest they didn't run.

Regards
Randy

Offline gary tultz

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 08:40:06 PM »
What Randy said.----I've been flying CLPA since 1958 when the "Big" pattern first came out. All over this part of the Midwest,(Ohio, PA.,Michigan,Indiana) it was the  custom that CDs directed the contest and Contestants did the flying. Has to do with Sportsmanship.-----Gary T.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here