News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:43:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where can I buy....  (Read 1201 times)

Offline curtis mattikow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Where can I buy....
« on: December 22, 2018, 06:52:19 PM »
...little tiny brass washers to solder onto the ends of axles as wheel retainers?  Weeny teeny ones, for 1/16 wire and such...

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Where can I buy....
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »
Try "Microfasteners.com"

Jerry

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 07:47:55 PM »
McMaster - Carr has every size, every material.
The 1/16 ID brass washers are around $3.25 for a pack of 25.
Bob Z.

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 08:08:42 PM »
Thanks.  Ordered.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 08:12:05 PM »
   Go to craft supply store and buy a 1/8" paper punch. Gather some tin tank scraps together. Take a 1/8" hole template and with a sharp scribe or straight pin, make a bunch of circles on the material. Take a 1/16" drill bit, or a piece of 1/16" music wire with a chisel point on one end, and drill through the circles you just drew. Then take hole punch and punch out washers. make as many as you need allowing for some to be lost.  Alternative is to fins some scrap small lip seals that are used in machinery and such. Inside the lip part is a spring, that can come apart. Cut into small lengths you have something like the old spring keepers that Perfect used to market. Work those on and a dab of glue or solder can hold them in place. Thin copper wire can be wound around the axle and then soldered or glues in place. Lots of ways to hold a small wheel in place including 1/16" wheel collars from Dubro!
   Type at you later and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 11:37:08 PM »
Fourmost Products has exactly what you asked for. They work great for a lot of things. The IDs are close-fit to the nominal sizes, so the solder joint is strong. I always use up the 1/8" ID pieces first from reinforcing fuel tank vent lines....

http://www.fourmostproducts.com/our-products/miscellaneous/

Dave

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 12:03:36 AM »
   Go to craft supply store and buy a 1/8" paper punch. Gather some tin tank scraps together. Take a 1/8" hole template and with a sharp scribe or straight pin, make a bunch of circles on the material. Take a 1/16" drill bit, or a piece of 1/16" music wire with a chisel point on one end, and drill through the circles you just drew. Then take hole punch and punch out washers. make as many as you need allowing for some to be lost.  Alternative is to fins some scrap small lip seals that are used in machinery and such. Inside the lip part is a spring, that can come apart. Cut into small lengths you have something like the old spring keepers that Perfect used to market. Work those on and a dab of glue or solder can hold them in place. Thin copper wire can be wound around the axle and then soldered or glues in place. Lots of ways to hold a small wheel in place including 1/16" wheel collars from Dubro!
     Dan McEntee

Thank's but I'm a maaaster craaaaaftsman I and I don't want to use your cheesy shortcut.
I did the WORK by typing in "microfasteners.com" and then searching "brass washers" and then laboriously clicking "BUY NOW" and then they were on their way.  You kids today have it easy.
Gotta go water the balsa trees I'm growing for my next project...and mine some ore to smelt to make up some engine mounting screws on my foot-treadle lathe,  and shoot a horse to make up some glue.  I live in Manhattan, not so easy to find a horse.  Except those that pull those hansom cabs in Central Park. 

Offline curtis mattikow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 12:06:27 AM »
     Dan McEntee
PS next time you find a neat round hole in the brass tank of your favorite ship it was NOT me making washers...

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
PS next time you find a neat round hole in the brass tank of your favorite ship it was NOT me making washers...

I don't ever use brass tanks, got away from them along time ago. I don't like the pickle relish that grows on them after interacting with fuel. But cutting up an old one for washers is a good idea, then you wouldn't be tempted to use it again. After 40 some odd years working as a welder/fabricator/ industrial maintenance tech ( and a lot of that at night when vendors are closed!) I have learned how to improvise and make do with what I have. And I have always been a fan of the "how to do it" pages of the old mags and always read those. That is a feature missing from the few mags left today, I guess because not many build anymore. They have this here new fangled thing in front of them where instead of thinking through a problem, they can just ask ,"Hey, how do I do this? Where do I buy that? Is this a good engine? Is that a good flying airplane?" The pioneers didn't have a computer or the internet when the wheel fell off their Conestoga wagon! Not even Triple A to help them out!
   Merry Christmas and Happy New year!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here