News:

• June 03, 2024, 07:57:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: first color on twin  (Read 3223 times)

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
first color on twin
« on: September 27, 2006, 05:25:22 PM »
not much but it's a start................looks like about 3 different masks to get this on.

BTW.....does anybody know the proper name for this emblem?

Pic #1 is my paint
Pic #2 is what I'm going for

Also NOTICE TO WWWARBIRD..........no eagle.
Frank Carlisle

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: first color on twin
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 05:28:08 PM »
Not sure on the spelling but it is a Roundel
AMA 12366

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 05:30:29 PM »
AH SO................I kept calling it a chevron but I think that's like sargeant stripes.
I sure wish there was an easy way to do this stuff.
Frank Carlisle

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 05:31:38 PM »
There is, go to a sign shop and have them cut you a mask.
AMA 12366

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 06:01:04 PM »
Glad to see you're back Frank, I was about to send out a search party, thought maybe the fumes got to ya!!!

Isn't "Roundel" technically the Brit description for their own insignia? The only reason I second guess Sparky's response is that just last night, in my new Tower catalog, I noticed an ad for the Major Decal insignia sheets and they listed "stars and bars" and showed some other description that I figured must be our earlier star insignia, without the bars-I forget what the name was though. No biggie just curious.

P.S. In this case, I'm glad to hear you're not using the eagle, I think it would get to "busy" and take away from the cleanliness of the rest of the scheme. However, panel lines would be way cool... **)

P.S.S. I looked 'cuz it was bugging me and the other insignia was called "Concorde". Does anyone know, would this be the proper term for the U.S. insignia without the bars?

Lookin' good Frank!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 08:04:47 AM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 06:19:23 PM »
TOO LATE for the sign shop Sparky........this really isn't that hard and doesn't really take that long to do. I will be going to the sign shop for my letters though.

Wayne.....I can always do an eagle on another plane. The art needs more refinement-so- I'll practice it till I get it perfect then I'll put it on a plane.    One change I plan to make is to substitute the U.S.A.F. on the outboard wing panel with my AMA number. That got's to go there.

OH BTW----here is the second mask all I need now is the red stripe.......only three more rondel/stars & bars to go.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 07:46:24 PM »
A few hours later.................I'm going to let the rondel dry till tomorrow b-4 I mask it.

Also I fly just poorly enough to need to make up every little point I can wring out of this. That's why all the trouble I'm willing to go through.

Still haven't heard from Big Art about those engines. Last I heard they were different than the last batch and it was like starting over again. No sweat. When he's got them ready I'll probably be ready to bolt them into the plane.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 02:59:05 AM »
Looking pretty gorgeous, Frank, as usual.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 06:09:36 AM »
Thanks Ray.....................we'll have to see how she flies........unfortunately I can't stay in the shop and work straight through. And Saturday I am attending our Walt Musciano contest in Kalamazoo. Walt himself will be there as well as Larry from Black Hawk Models.

It's getting late in the season -- this may be a model that won't see the circle till next spring...if that's the case I'll have plenty of time for putting on clear and getting it rubbed out.
Frank Carlisle

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 07:05:56 AM »
Looking pretty gorgeous, Frank, as usual.

--Ray

Looks good Frank!!! But it still won't fit in your truck!!! <= :P
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::)
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 07:33:36 AM »
There is that Paul........................darn!!
Frank Carlisle

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 11:47:40 AM »
Frank, it really looks good. I have a question, what did you do on the nacelle behind the engine? did you use 1/8" cross grain? My problem is with the Saito 40's i think ??? I will have to make that area removable. Between the engine and the 4oz. plastic tank the length is so long, i will have to make a removable hatch or leave the area open. '' . Any ideas? Thanks Ron. y1 <= #^

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 11:53:33 AM »
Frank,

That is looking gorgeous.  I really like the flowing lines and the vertical stab treatment.  I have read that Al Rabe liked the way his planes look on the end of the lines...I think you are going to be well pleased.

I'll bet it would fit in my truck >:D >:D >:D
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 03:01:36 AM »
Ron--------Here is a picture of a nacelle. The tank is tipped in and slid back. There is a tab on the front of the tank for a srew and blind nut hold down. I stuff a little piece of foam between the tank and tank floor to hold the back end of the tank still.

Did I help at all?
Frank Carlisle

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 08:50:27 AM »
THANKS A MILLION!!!!!!! The picture is exactly what i needed and your description. ;D y1 <= #^ Ron.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 09:11:27 AM »
Seeing the picture of the plane sitting/laying in the bed of the truck made me think of a couple I always called my adopted parents.  George and Dorathy Watkins had a corvette back in the 60's.  Of course you know how much trunk room they had.  Anyway there was a luggage rack that George would strap the airplane to.  I don't they ever had any trouble as long as they stayed below 60 MPH.  Do wish I had a picture of that as George also had the scale Mustang by Jetco he would bring also.   Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 12:44:29 PM »

BTW.....does anybody know the proper name for this emblem?

Frank,

Sorry I missed this earlier. The Star you show is called the National Insignia. It was adopted on August 18, 1942 (without the bars). Then on June 30, 1943, the white bars were added to each side with a red outline. In September, 1943, the red outline was changed to the blue outline. The red center bars were adopted in 1947 with the birth of the USAF.

From 1921 until August 1942 the National Insignia was the star with a red dot in the center.

Hope this helps,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 06:20:41 PM »
Thanks Ron...National Insignia......Good to know.......Did you research this or is this stuff you just know?.....fascinating all the info you have.

So it's Friday evening. I am packing for the 1/2A meet tomorrow and I'm totally unprepared. I am however making progress on the twin..

Here is a picture..........
Frank Carlisle

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 08:26:44 PM »
Looking pretty darn good Frank.  Will be nice to see it in the air.  Score a ride for it yet?
John
John Paris

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 06:13:24 AM »

Thanks Ron...National Insignia......Good to know.......Did you research this or is this stuff you just know?.....fascinating all the info you have.

Frank,

Thanks for the kind words. I have a memory like a sieve.   :P :P  The amount of information I have forgotten is unbelievable.

I know what the National Insignia is from my Air Force days - but had to go to my Scale Library to get the dates for you. I have collected hundreds of books over the years, especially on planes I want to build "someday". I expect my wife will be making a large donation to the AMA Library after I'm gone.  <=

Your LA Heat looks great. I hope it flies as well as it looks and hope to see you out in the Midwest sometime soon.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here