News:
Support----><----Support

• February 21, 2018, 04:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What did you do in your shop today.  (Read 81469 times)

Offline Randy Cuberly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: What did you do in your shop today.
« Reply #1250 on: February 03, 2018, 07:51:10 PM »
A guy in Aptos Ca. laminated this blank for me with 1/8 inch maple and walnut.
I carved and finished it as a wood shop project during my sophomore year in high school.
Kept the gun at school during the week and took it home on the weekends.
I would carry the gun back forth to school on the school bus and nobody ever said a word.
Things were a lot different back in 1974!

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Crap, I tried to post a picture but no luck
I donít know how to reduce picture size on my I phone

Wow Larry!  I'm Impressed!  That's a very professional quality stock making job for a High school kid.  I used to make stocks professionally in Colorado when I owned a gun shop there.  I certainly couldn't have done anything like that in High School.  Did you have some professional help?  Must have at least had a great teacher!
It's easy to wee where your Modeling skills came from!

What is the finish? 

Great Job!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1251 on: February 03, 2018, 11:29:20 PM »
I went into my back shop to cut a former for an Ercoupe wingtip and realized that the last light fixture back there had bit the dust.  So I dropped a couple of C-notes at Home Despot on LED lighting and got two (of a necessary eight) 4-foot fixtures up.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Gordon Van Tighem

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #1252 on: February 04, 2018, 02:41:05 AM »
Great project, but wouldn't it be a lot easier to build on a bench instead of the ceiling?
Zero gravity, but if you click on the picture it is corrected. (Somehow when I reduce the picture size it inverts)
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member

Offline Howard Rush

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1253 on: February 04, 2018, 05:57:07 AM »
What is the finish? 

Seriously?  It shouldn't be too difficult if you make the stock without severe compound curves.  The trick is to cover the butt first, carefully wrapping around the side about 1/8", ironing out the wrinkles.  Larry uses a contrasting color for the butt.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Gary Dowler

• Commander
« Reply #1254 on: February 04, 2018, 10:45:25 AM »
Yup. Birchwood Casey True Oil. Which is what I believe to be burnt Lindseed oil

That what I used on my 458. It makes a nice finish. Since then I've learned that lindseed oil does very little to stop moisture though. My current project, a 700 BDL in 8mm Remington magnum with a high end custom walnut stock,  will have a Tung oil/polyurethane blend finish. Looks as good, just as easy to touch up, but much more weather resistant.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Fredvon4

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1255 on: February 04, 2018, 12:11:45 PM »
 Not know better I usual do what Dad taught me for gun stock refinishing preserving

But first, Larry's stock is very well done I like it a lot...

I love wood working but can not carve worth a hoot   that said, I just love any interesting grain and man made or natural patterns,,,the more BUSY the more interesting to sit and stare at seeing all the different changes

For a stock cleaned back to mostly bare wood I like to start with Danish oil...I just like the way it absorbs into most woods and hardens....but it is not a top coat very high shine glossy Finish... for that dad schooled me ( maybe just for long long hours of busy work...grin) to use Johnson Floor paste wax... coat after coat until it looked deep and shiny.....truthfully I just think he loved having me real busy all the time as I was one of the fidgety always getting in trouble kids we would call ADD today

I have too many rifles with synthetic stocks...I got them deliberately that way from hunting in the wet of the north west a lot in my youth
Now that I don't hunt any more, I can see changing many of them out for real wood stocks

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Avaiojet

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1256 on: February 04, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
I soldered the ends of the pushrods, two actually, to Pusher Galore's elevators this morning. Split elevators, so one for each side.

CB
Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

Owner of CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder."

"No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."

Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten.

I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.

"Ya gotta love it when a plane comes together."

Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."

"Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline George Albo

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #1257 on: February 04, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »
I've slowly been putting together a workspace for myself. Been cobbling together a work and utility bench for drill press, bench grinder, vise, etc. you get the picture.  I'm on the slow plan so everything gets done as time and health permits.

Today I finally test assembled a fuselage jig whose plans can readily be found on the internet. Will be removing the parts and hitting it with poly-acrylic to protect it a bit. My bench top is not level, seems that the plywood top was still uncured, as it dried it warped a bit in the middle. Enough to cause me to add lag bolts for use as levelers  on the fuse jig.

Next stop will be the wing jig. Got the perfectly flat lumber for this. Will be shopping soon for rods.

Here are some pics.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:50:24 AM by George Albo »
All things come to those that wait. If you want it any faster, you'd better move!:)

Offline Astropuppy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1258 on: February 04, 2018, 07:27:07 PM »
Worked on flite streak tips and bellcrank assembly. Found some colored silk, trying to decide to use it. It would look appropriate on a flite streak.
Mike Riggs

Offline George Albo

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #1259 on: February 05, 2018, 09:46:43 AM »

I just added the felt facing to the uprights to protect the balsa from dings. Well worth the trouble and effort I think.

For laughs and giggles I am also uploading pictures of a rolling tool cabinet I made from a salvaged child's change table. Made the drawers from pine with ply bottom, added pulls, 3" caster wheels. Still need a coat of clear to protect it.

Ramping up to get some models in the air. Can't wait. Lot's of lost time to make up!
All things come to those that wait. If you want it any faster, you'd better move!:)

Offline john e. holliday

• Admiral
« Reply #1260 on: February 05, 2018, 10:54:45 AM »
It all looks great. H^^
I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530

Offline George Albo

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #1261 on: February 05, 2018, 12:31:26 PM »
It all looks great. H^^

Thanks for the kind words.

George

Offline Fredvon4

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1262 on: February 05, 2018, 12:53:39 PM »
George I like the chest o drawers a lot..I hate making drawers...tedious repetitive work..so I gravitate to storage with doors in my wood working

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Howard Rush

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1263 on: February 05, 2018, 01:56:55 PM »
George I like the chest o drawers a lot..I hate making drawers...tedious repetitive work..so I gravitate to storage with doors in my wood working

As a geezer I prefer drawers for any storage within 3 feet of the ground. I made my own drawers for the kitchen and one bathroom, but outsourced drawers for subsequent projects to Western Dovetail (drawers.com).  Those drawers came with cool Blum self-closing slides installed.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline George Albo

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #1264 on: February 05, 2018, 02:32:12 PM »

I had to give it a great deal of thought before undertaking the project for that same reason. But I was determined to have a tool chest. It was a bonafide pain in the neck to make, but there she is. Helped a great deal that my father Joseph was a custom cabinet maker, may he rest in peace.

I learned a great deal from him and got a chance to put what I learned  to use   There is 1/8" space between the drawers. Not an easy task to accomplish equal spacing all around. They glide on 16" slides. The kicker is that I made all this on a discarded desk turned  into a saw table with slide and a guide!

The tool chest at Home Depot and Harbor Freight ran a little over $600. I made mine with about $200 in pulls, slides and lumber. The repurposed child's changing table was strengthened a bit and seemed just like the perfect size sooooooo.....I now have a tool chest!!!

Been a fun project all around. Will upload pictures of the benches I made as soon as I dig them out from under the lumber and sundry items/ lol.  Took awhile as I'm on the slow plan.

My next project is the wing jig. Simple enough. Should not take too long. Have to decide what to use, and what size to use for the wing rods. I'm actually thinking of going to Grainger and getting1/4" hydraulic tubing.

Thanks for taking a look.

George

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1265 on: February 05, 2018, 06:15:33 PM »
I thought most ribs with holes for a jig were 5/32, but i can't remember. You might check before you buy. Obviously safer bigger than smaller, you could always make the rib holes bigger, tough to make them smaller right?
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Avaiojet

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1266 on: February 05, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »
Tweaked the elevators on Pusher Galore today. Took a bit of work. I had to move one control horn a bit. I made 'angle' gauges for full up and full down to get them identical.

Perfect!

CB

Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.

"Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline George Albo

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #1267 on: February 05, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »
I thought most ribs with holes for a jig were 5/32, but i can't remember. You might check before you buy. Obviously safer bigger than smaller, you could always make the rib holes bigger, tough to make them smaller right?

I haven't built a kit since the '80's so I'm clueless as to what hole size ribs they may have. I am also open to suggestions a to what  rod diameter and material would work best all around. I'm going to do a search on the forum.

I've settled on the simple RCM type wing jig.

George

Offline George Albo

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #1268 on: February 06, 2018, 09:06:48 AM »
I have cut up all the parts for the wing jig. Looking into buying the rods. Still haven't decided to go with 1/4" or 5/32" , aluminum, carbon fiber, carbon steel.

Here is a peek at my makeshift table saw. It is a discarded desk. I found it just sitting there  by the dumpster just beckoning me to turn it into a table saw!

I turned the top  over and routed slots for a sled. Made the sled. A circular saw is bolted underneath in the on position via zip tie.  With this I made the tool chest, the fuse jig and of course,  today I cut out all the parts for the wing jig.

I'll upload the wing jig photos when completed.  Here's the saw where all the magic took place...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:53:20 AM by George Albo »

Offline George Albo

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #1269 on: February 06, 2018, 09:46:37 AM »
As a geezer I prefer drawers for any storage within 3 feet of the ground. I made my own drawers for the kitchen and one bathroom, but outsourced drawers for subsequent projects to Western Dovetail (drawers.com).  Those drawers came with cool Blum self-closing slides installed.

Just went to the drawer.com site. Nice equipment. Would have saved my dad some time. He used a shop made dove tailing jig for the router. Made finger joints using dados on the saw table. Nice stuff
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:54:43 AM by George Albo »

Offline john e. holliday

• Admiral
« Reply #1270 on: February 07, 2018, 04:03:19 PM »
Managed several days in the shop.  The carrier report is over there.  Got a little more work done on the Perky's.  Spent one day in the house making patterns for next projects. D>K
I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530

Offline Avaiojet

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1271 on: February 08, 2018, 07:14:43 AM »
Now that Pusher Galore is now Electric, I have to give some consideration to gluing, what was once, the engine cowling.

Looks like I may not need a cowling after all that's removable?

I also might have to remake the landing gear now that I'll be using 2.5" wheels. The difference I'll have to make up with the wire.

The model still has a long way to go.

CB

Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #1272 on: February 09, 2018, 08:24:16 AM »
George, I use SS Rods from On Line Metals, I bought a length that would do the whole wing at one time (my preference). If you are scratch building 3/8" jig holes are great. If you get a kit from RSM call Eric and he will put the size jig hole you want. Brodak kits are 5/16"
Leester
ama 830538

Offline George Albo

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #1273 on: February 09, 2018, 10:23:42 AM »
George, I use SS Rods from On Line Metals, I bought a length that would do the whole wing at one time (my preference). If you are scratch building 3/8" jig holes are great. If you get a kit from RSM call Eric and he will put the size jig hole you want. Brodak kits are 5/16"

Leester thanks.  I decided on 3/6" SS tubing, 6' length. I felt that the 5/32 was too small and 1/4" a little more than necessary, so I got the 3/16".

The kicker is that I ordered the product from a company called zoro.com for $19.27 for  2 tubes including shipping! Great price. Grainger wanted $18.00 EACH for the same 304 SS tubing!  At the prices that Zoro is charging, I can increase to 1/4" tubing if the need arises. Such a great deal.

I did manage to cut up the wing jig parts and assemble it. I made the jig 58.5" long x 4" wide x 5" tall. Lots of room. I made 2 extra vertical supports in case the tubing sags. SS steel if very stiff and hard so I don't think there is going to be a sagging issue, but just the same it's available. Will upload pics when the tubing arrives!

Thanks for your input.

George

UPDATE: Holy smokes. I made the order Feb 7 in the afternoon. The order was shipped the same day. After posting the above reply, I wanted to see when UPS would deliver the items. The UPS tracking site showed that they were delivered! Today! I couldn't believe it. Went outside and there it was. Nicely shipped in a 4" by 6' cardboard tube. Well protected.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:01:35 AM by George Albo »

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #1274 on: February 09, 2018, 03:25:19 PM »
Just a tip, Waxing the rod/tube will help keep c/a from sticking to it..
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #1275 on: February 10, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »
Started working on my new Imitation kit from Mike Griffin and Eric Rule last night.  Beautiful kit, nicely done.

Nice wood, love the laser cutting, makes building so much easier.

Awesome gentlemen to work with, so helpful.  Thank you guys.

Vince

Offline Fredvon4

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1276 on: February 10, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »
My Dixon/Pearson Ukey 35 arrived today

I must say it looks like the fastest ARF I can get in the air and abuse.... Thanks Tom and Jim

So many engine choices...so much bad weather... decisions decisions ... Os 20/25/40/46 or excess Fox 35... I am leaning to Iron FP 25 and Apc 9x4

Not keen on single wheel LG so a aluminum RSM set up is pulled out...but for some reason a set of 4 DuBro wheel collars came with zero set screws... grrrr...OH well I have some bulk stuff around here some where that will fit

71F yesterday...33F right now and dropping to 21F over night...I hate Arctic blasts!

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #1277 on: February 10, 2018, 04:43:42 PM »
I finally shot clear on the club Skyray.
I shot the first coat a couple of weeks ago and it blushed so bad the the red was milky white.
I shot a coat of straight thinner with a splash of retarder yesterday and bingo, blush was gone.
Three wet coats of clear last night and now itís time epoxy the wing in place.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Commander
« Reply #1278 on: February 10, 2018, 06:22:49 PM »
Remember a Mattel toy called the Vertibird?  There were two basic versions, a land based one and the one on the big styrofoam Coast Guard ship. A co worker had one in his garage. Didn't work, had some plumbers glue dripped on part of it and the stern had been broken off.  I offered to see if I could clean it up and get it working, perhaps even repair it.  Managed all 3. Back in 1972 this was the coolest toy I owned! Was a big trip down memory lane playing with this again.

Offline George Albo

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #1279 on: February 10, 2018, 07:10:37 PM »
Just a tip, Waxing the rod/tube will help keep c/a from sticking to it..

EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!! Do you recommend any particular wax coating?

Thanks,

George

Offline George Albo

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #1280 on: February 10, 2018, 07:12:40 PM »
Remember a Mattel toy called the Vertibird?  There were two basic versions, a land based one and the one on the big styrofoam Coast Guard ship. A co worker had one in his garage. Didn't work, had some plumbers glue dripped on part of it and the stern had been broken off.  I offered to see if I could clean it up and get it working, perhaps even repair it.  Managed all 3. Back in 1972 this was the coolest toy I owned! Was a big trip down memory lane playing with this again.

Wow, cool! I remember this! I wanted one. Never got it but thought it was real neat!

Offline James Holford

• 2018 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #1281 on: February 11, 2018, 08:18:12 AM »
Taking down thw shelf/bench setup i had been using since I came back and setting up new bench to maybe actually work or even finish something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Bill Morell

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #1282 on: February 11, 2018, 08:30:12 AM »
Got my 1952 Hot Foot closer to being done. Covered top of bottom wing and bottom of top wing. Now the "fun" of aligning both wings and fastening them on. Cool looking little bipe!
Bill Morell

Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Dan McEntee

• Admiral
« Reply #1283 on: February 11, 2018, 08:35:35 AM »

I have had a couple of these. I wanted one as a kid but never got it, (my Mom had to raise nine kids by herself, so it was easy to understand at the time that there was only so much money to go around for toys.)  I finally got one as an "adult" about twenty years ago at a local vintage toy show and loved it. It was the typical and based version. It "disappeared" somehow, and recently got it's replacement at a local toy show that didn't work. I figured out how to clean the contacts for the control mechanism and play with it often.  Micro Machines made a small similar toy for several years and I have one of those but have never taken it out of the box. Mattel also made a toy that was similar but with a biplane on a cable that was called Barnstormer, or something like that, and I have one of those also, but don't have the room to really try to fly it. It's unique in that it was powered by 110VAC instead of batteries. I'll have to dig that one out and try it someday.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1284 on: February 11, 2018, 08:59:57 AM »
Damn you Dan!
I had a toy as a kid(maybe the one you mentioned) that i loved. It was an electric biplane on a cable that came out of a pylon mounted on a board.
As i recall it had throttle and elevator controls.
Post a picture of that bad boy if you get a chance!
Definitely clearing out some cobwebs in my brain thinking back to those days!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:59:29 AM by Target »
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Avaiojet

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1285 on: February 11, 2018, 09:05:37 AM »
I have to redraw and bend a new set of wire gear for Pusher Galore. First set was short and a larger wheel looks out of place on the model.

She's close to getting silked.

CB
Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Commander
« Reply #1286 on: February 11, 2018, 04:47:52 PM »
Finished product

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #1287 on: February 11, 2018, 07:32:58 PM »
Wow, cool! I remember this! I wanted one. Never got it but thought it was real neat!
Love the old toys.
Here is one I used to own as a kid.....Johnny Astro Balloon.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Dan McEntee

• Admiral
« Reply #1288 on: February 11, 2018, 10:07:34 PM »
Damn you Dan!

Boy! Have I heard those words a lot in my life time! My dear, gray haired, departed and beloved grandma was the one who originally deemed me" Damnit Dan!"

I have to figure out where I stored that thing. I don't think I sold it or traded it off. May take quite a while and quite an effort to find it.

Shug;  I lusted after that toy also. I have maybe seen one or two in the last 30 years and they were priced way over my head. They worked on Burnelli effect, I think. The air from the fan wrapped around the balloon and controlled it. It moved away from the base and you had to plan where you were going to put the balloon. No way to return it to the base, though. I remember the commercial well, and seeing it in the Christmas catalogs.
    Type at you later,
    Dan "Damnit Dan" McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Avaiojet

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1289 on: February 14, 2018, 07:40:47 AM »
Did a bit of fine tuning, just this morning, to the tips of the elevators using micro-balloons. Added a piece of thin ply for the area where the control horn is attached to each elevator. Silk will go over this.

Seeing Pusher Galore is now Electric, I have to give some consideration as to which timer I'll be using?

CB
Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

Offline Larry Renger

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1290 on: February 14, 2018, 04:47:54 PM »
I got started on my Super 70 model for VSC! It is a hopped up Cox Chipmunk. Lengthened tank to get the whole pattern in, wing hogged out, carbon reinforced center section, wing to be covered with park flyer type film. The wing mod is saving about 3/4 ounce.  It will probably be Killer Bee powered and fly on 42í .008 lines.

Having been the designer and engineer on the model, plus the rework, it may be eligible for appearance points. One can but ask....
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan

BTW, Dracula Sucks!

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1291 on: February 14, 2018, 05:31:45 PM »
That's almost cheating Larry!
No 1/2A Stiletto for you? I'd have thought you'd be first on the list!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Dan McEntee

• Admiral
« Reply #1292 on: February 14, 2018, 06:44:26 PM »
I got started on my Super 70 model for VSC! It is a hopped up Cox Chipmunk. Lengthened tank to get the whole pattern in, wing hogged out, carbon reinforced center section, wing to be covered with park flyer type film. The wing mod is saving about 3/4 ounce.  It will probably be Killer Bee powered and fly on 42í .008 lines.

Having been the designer and engineer on the model, plus the rework, it may be eligible for appearance points. One can but ask....

Hi Larry;
    I would be interested in a thread and photos of this project, especially the tank. I remember mine flying quite well, and the second generations flew better with the Fancher modifications. I have a few here in the hanger needing fixin' up and just may get to it if I know I could fly the whole patter on a tank.
  Thanks a lot,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Chris McMillin

• Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #1293 on: February 14, 2018, 07:14:25 PM »
I remember the Dareplane which was similar.
Chris...

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1294 on: February 14, 2018, 07:28:35 PM »
I remember the Dareplane which was similar.
Chris...

THATS IT!!!
That's what I had!! For the life of me I could NOT remember the name of it!!!!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #1295 on: February 18, 2018, 06:58:27 AM »
Getting ready for painting and covering.  I have two 1/2A planes to paint, a Cardinal to cover and am finishing up a mouse racer. 

Offline Avaiojet

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1296 on: February 18, 2018, 07:55:30 AM »
Pushy Galore's elevators are just about ready for primer. One more coat of dope.

Today I'll silk the stab area where the 4 Klette hinges will go using Sig dope.

My goal is to get these areas primed white so I can attach the elevators.

Even though it's not popular, I attach my control surfaces before I finish and paint.

Old school habits.

Charles

Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

Offline Matt Spencer

• Admiral
« Reply #1297 on: February 18, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »
Chopped the Back off the Magnum / Genesis . :o and most of the top  block . Skinned That , Put on new ' P51-B ' Rear Sides , 1/4 higher.
!/4 x 3/16 tapered spacers fwd , so the cowl to windshield bit looks far out , correct, marvellous etc .Put angled tips on tailplane/elev .

Doing this to get 17 in. 445 mm hinge to hinge , so new C F pushrod too .

Seen a P-51-B on Flight Lines ? , I photocopied to Copy ,  ;) but cant rematerialise it as didnt get link.  >:( Inv Stripes etc .
Looks like it might be Magnum Based .Mighthaveit going thisweekend ,  :-\ .

Did I mention the thirty year old coverings so brittle itll crack if you stare at it to intently . Thatll be the next job , if the conversion pans out o.k.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Commander
« Reply #1298 on: February 18, 2018, 11:40:49 PM »
I cleaned!  It was getting to be a seriously out of control mess!  Probably on the verge of becoming a superfund site!  Lol

Offline Avaiojet

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1299 on: February 19, 2018, 08:47:20 AM »
I might tidy up a bit today seeing I'm no longer working with wood.

CB
Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

Tags: Shop Today