News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:23:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 'What Did You Do In Your Shop Today'  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
'What Did You Do In Your Shop Today'
« on: August 16, 2022, 04:28:30 PM »

What happened to the topic? I haven't seen it, or any replies, for some time.

Ara

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 'What Did You Do In Your Shop Today'
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 09:30:36 AM »
I put new line on two fishing reels. Doesn't that count? Got up before the alarm this AM, showered, got ready to go and my fishin' buddy (who can fly both CL and FF) had texted me that he had the stomach bug and couldn't go. As Dr. McCoy often said, "Dammit, Jim!"  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 04:51:48 PM »
As the op of the thread I was informed the thread was removed.  No reason why was given, so I pm'd the moderator who deleted it asking why. I have never gotten a response. I just wanted to know why it was removed; not dispute their action.

Thanks for restarting it.

I've been busy learning how to operate my MH 721 Vinyl cutter today.
Astropuppy

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 07:23:36 PM »

I refurbished my ancient Glo-Bee. I think I bought it in the 1970's. I've been using it all along and it's working just fine. Still have the original plastic nuts but made a different pair. The 2 volt battery is still on the shelves at Batteries And Bulbs stores.

Ara

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 07:54:25 PM »
 Folks,

Restarting this thread is a bad idea, and actually detracts from the forum overall IMO.

What happens is too many great projects and ideas that deserve their own thread end up just getting buried and lost forever in what ends up being a gargantuan thread. I tried making that point many times in the last go-round to no avail. Got something to share? Post it and start a thread!  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 06:12:59 PM »
Not sure if it will fly. Getting ready to put a finish on a bathroom vanity I recently completed.
Astropuppy

Online Steve Berry

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 06:24:12 PM »
Not sure if it will fly. Getting ready to put a finish on a bathroom vanity I recently completed.
Engine?
What's the area?
Weight?
Is it a dope finish or automotive with 2k clear?

Steve

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 10:41:04 AM »
Engine?
What's the area?
Weight?
Is it a dope finish or automotive with 2k clear?

Steve

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Sailplane as in sail off the roof!

Astropuppy

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 10:41:58 AM »
Cut some vinyl for my Shark 202e

Astropuppy

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 11:57:20 AM »
Folks,

Restarting this thread is a bad idea, and actually detracts from the forum overall IMO.

What happens is too many great projects and ideas that deserve their own thread end up just getting buried and lost forever in what ends up being a gargantuan thread. I tried making that point many times in the last go-round to no avail. Got something to share? Post it and start a thread!  y1
Sorry, but in MY opinion, your opinion is wrong.  The thread gave/gives those of us who just want to visit and fellowship a bit on a casual basis to get a lot of enjoymant out of the topic without investing the needed effort to run a special thread.
I have often visited the Hanger just to see what was going on in this topic and never went anywhere else at that particular time.  So some so-called "great topics" didn't get a thread of their own, maybe the owner didn't want that.  So do we shut him out all together? 
Sorry, but with all due respect, I think we need and will enjoy the prospect of it being here again.  Just my opinion.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 01:40:12 PM »
Folks,

After a few pages of the other thread I started ignoring it. I may have missed some good stuff? I kinda enjoy targeted threads.

Now in person and verbal, that’s a whole different thing. Let the conversation roam and drift.

I’m not intending to comment on whether this thread is a good or bad thing.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 01:54:15 PM »
Sorry, but in MY opinion, your opinion is wrong.  The thread gave/gives those of us who just want to visit and fellowship a bit on a casual basis to get a lot of enjoymant out of the topic without investing the needed effort to run a special thread.
I have often visited the Hanger just to see what was going on in this topic and never went anywhere else at that particular time.  So some so-called "great topics" didn't get a thread of their own, maybe the owner didn't want that.  So do we shut him out all together? 
Sorry, but with all due respect, I think we need and will enjoy the prospect of it being here again.  Just my opinion.
Couldn't agree more.  I wonder where it went.  Some limit or Sparky needed the space maybe.  Friday I added the Mark Wood flap horn to my new ship.

Ken
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 06:16:39 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2022, 06:13:12 PM »

Thank you, I couldn't of said it better myself.

Astropuppy

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 11:21:32 AM »
This past Friaday, I went for surgery for a Hiatal Hernia but before I did, I installed the tail wheel in the Primary Force I am building, and finish sanded the completed wing.  I hurt so bad from the surgery, I think it will be a while before I get back in the shop.  My vote is to keep this thread.  I agree with Will Hinton.

FWIW

Mike

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 12:54:52 PM »
There are threads for builds, and there is a great catch all. Which'ere floats yer boat. I'm adding a leading edge to my bipe because it is too blunt and stalling the inside corners. I saw the writing on the wall when I was building it, but just hoped somehow it would fly.  Now to shape it a bit and see if I can finesse some covering over it and blend the red without affecting the cream.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2022, 05:56:24 PM »
After a few pages of the other thread I started ignoring it.

Same here. Does anyone remember what was on page 24 of the old thread? Page 37? Pages 41 through 45? Or what builds of topics were covered throughout? I'm not thinking so. All I'm saying is there was a lot of interesting stuff that ended up getting deeply buried and forgotten about. Oh well, it's all unrecorded history now.  D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2022, 11:23:52 AM »
Added 2.5 oz of lead to the tail of the Skylark in order to get the CG right☹️

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 11:06:08 AM »
Bought some 3 3/4" diameter foam plastic fishing-line spools for the Spectra lines I'm making up.  They have an 18mm. hole in the middle, which I've plugged with 18mm. dowel glued in with cyano and bored 5/16" to fit the line-winder attachment on my flight box.  Simple and convenient.  I'm standardising on red Spectra for the 'UP' line and yellow for 'DOWN' - should help to avoid confusion, e.g. picking up the handle upside down!
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 02:24:51 PM »
Took out an ounce of weight that i epoxied into the tail of the Skylark, and debonded my elevator horn.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2022, 06:46:07 PM »
I've gotta put new line on two more fishing reels tonight. Yeah, in the model/rod/tackle storage shop. I'm lucky I don't have to sleep there, but the spousal unit may require that soon. She  n~, Steve

I was running around like mad on Wednesday and didn't get to re-spool those two reels. So now, I have to re-spool three reels, or maybe four. Thursday was also busy with these (see pics)...caught two virtually identical and set them loose, to catch again next week...maybe, with any luck at all.  y1 Steve 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 03:15:18 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2022, 02:31:32 PM »
Bought some 3 3/4" diameter foam plastic fishing-line spools for the Spectra lines I'm making up.  They have an 18mm. hole in the middle, which I've plugged with 18mm. dowel glued in with cyano and bored 5/16" to fit the line-winder attachment on my flight box.  Simple and convenient.  I'm standardising on red Spectra for the 'UP' line and yellow for 'DOWN' - should help to avoid confusion, e.g. picking up the handle upside down!

That's a great idea!
Astropuppy

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2022, 10:42:40 AM »
Sent Engame II's elevators to Jenny Craig.  Came back 12 grams lighter.  Monokoted the Canards.  Also made a new CAM to give equal deflection (1/8") for inside/outside with a faster rate on outside.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2022, 04:14:28 PM »

Began resuscitating some frozen and stuck estate Greenheads from my junk pile. Put a Fox tongue muffler on one and installed it on a 40 year old Ringmaster for the Fly-A-Thon. Seems like I 'woke a sleeping giant'. Two flips and off for a fun, nostalgic flight.

Ara

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here