News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:53:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What connectors are you using?  (Read 1104 times)

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
What connectors are you using?
« on: January 21, 2022, 11:01:06 AM »
Please advise.
Thanks.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What connectors are you using?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 11:04:13 AM »
Deans on all my electric components.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 11:04:43 AM »
I'm using Deans (right) but I would think T60's would be ok as well.
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 11:14:02 AM »
I have used both the Deans and the T-60.  The T-60 is a better connector if you have to do all of the soldering, but it is bulky.  Deans are easier to use after soldering and much smaller.  It took a while to learn how to use Deans, and you have to be careful not to get the cheap ones that can't take the heat, but all things considered, they are better.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 11:19:40 AM »
I use XT-60, because I'm lazy, they're easy to get, they seem to be as close to an industry standard as we have (and the cheap battery packs come with them installed).

If I had to source my own parts and assemble my own connectors onto everything, I'd probably use Deans.  But, see "lazy", above.

... Deans, and you have to be careful not to get the cheap ones ...

"Deans" is an actual brand name, and if I recall from some looking around on the web, they will sell direct.

So the way to know you're not getting the cheap ones is if the package actually says "Deans".
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 11:42:06 AM »
Please advise.
Thanks.
Hi Paul,

Deciding what connectors to use was a decision that I had to make when building my first electric plane. I had been told on a couple of occasion that some have had issues with the Dean's connector after some time. Perhaps they were the lower quality ones, I not sure. What happens is the spring tab on the side of the pole of the Dean's connector has a tendency to lose it "springiness" because of heat and can cause intermittent contact. So I made the decision to use the XT60 connector. Yes, the XT60 connectors are larger and weight a little more, but it a very robust connector. I also find the XT60 connectors easier to grab hold of and connect and disconnect my batteries. So far I have over 250 flights on my plane with no battery connection issues.

Dennis

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 01:36:59 PM »
I have both in my collection of stuff, so I have adapters that can convert a deans to the XT60. They both work, just pick the one you like the best.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 02:15:24 AM »
The XT connectors seem to have better cross vendor compatibility than the Deans style. The way the tension is done in the connector on the Deans style is tough for various maker to get to work right making some really difficult to use. The XT design doesn't seem have that problem as much. I have both but as time goes on, I converting over to XT.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 07:06:10 AM »
XT-60. Hundreds of flights without a problem.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 07:26:40 AM »
I set up with Deans when that was the only good connector available.  However if I was starting over today I would use XT-60.  Much easier to solder, look more durable and they have become the standard.

At this stage, I just do not feel like changing over my 15 year accumulation of batteries, chargers, & ESC's that all have Deans!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline David Ebers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 09:03:23 AM »
Are there known problems with the EC3 connectors?

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 09:29:00 AM »

"Deans" is an actual brand name, and if I recall from some looking around on the web, they will sell direct.

So the way to know you're not getting the cheap ones is if the package actually says "Deans".

Deans is a brand name and the connectors in questions are called "Ultra Plugs."  Deans was closely connected to Ace R/C in Higgensville, MO back in the day and have a variety of multi pinned connectors also. The name of the game is what resistance a connector may cause and any kind of voltage or current drop may occur. My first exposure to this kind of stuff was back in my R/C sailplane days back in the 1980's and we started to build electric assisted models. The connector of choice was a round connector out of England at that time. An article I read some where back then did a test on all available connectors on the market and this high collar gold plated connector from England was number one on the list. The second in line the common 1/4" spade connector that you see everywhere and can even but at Walgreens drug stores I think! Then came the then new connectors made by John Sermos I think at number three. I wonder if anyone has done a similar test recently??
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 09:35:35 AM »
Following Bill Bischoff's lead, I used XT60 connectors on my GBR (GloBee Replacement) battery system for racing.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 09:44:35 AM »
My titanium/silicone interface has a very very small internal resistance. L

Online pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 05:24:00 PM »
Are there known problems with the EC3 connectors?

The spring action in EC3 is from the brass pin body, which is also the electrical conductor.
For better or worse, the Deans style separates these two functions.
I seem to recall that Samantha had an issue with her EC3s in France,motor would not start for one flight, and the fix was to pry open the cross a bit.

The best connector design was probably the Astro Flight "Zero loss", but it basically went nowhere. Too expensive.
MAAC 8177

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 08:09:13 PM »
I started with deans and will switch all the new stuff to XT60.  XT re easier to solder and provides more protection.  The pins are the same as the inline bullet connections.

Use the XT ones.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2022, 11:55:15 AM »
Thanks guys. XT 60 is what I will go with.

I weighed both and the difference is 1g. (That was both male and female connectors together. )

I struggled with cutting a good XT 60 off a battery just to butcher a Deans trying to soldier it on. 🥴
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2022, 12:46:59 PM »
Thanks guys. XT 60 is what I will go with.

I weighed both and the difference is 1g. (That was both male and female connectors together. )

I struggled with cutting a good XT 60 off a battery just to butcher a Deans trying to soldier it on. 🥴

Been there, done that. Now, I'm going the other way.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 01:10:10 PM »
Been there, done that. Now, I'm going the other way.
I order mine with Deans for just that reason.  Battery to Deans is not something you want your homeowner's insurance company to know about.  I too will switch for the next battery batch.  Main reason I use Deans is that the rest of our bunch uses them, and it is easier to bum a battery in a pinch.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 01:14:12 PM »
I order mine with Deans for just that reason.  Battery to Deans is not something you want your homeowner's insurance company to know about.  I too will switch for the next battery batch.  Main reason I use Deans is that the rest of our bunch uses them, and it is easier to bum a battery in a pinch.

Ken

That's a good enough reason. Fortunately I am the leader in our group so, I get to coach them on what to use. I was reluctant to make the transition but all of the equipment seems to be headed that way. As the old stuff withers away, it is replaced with the XT. All of my good parallel boards are XT which is a significant driving element.
Life is good AMA 1488

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 03:57:59 PM »
All of my good parallel boards are XT which is a significant driving element.

I just bought the Thunder Power 4-position charger.  I don't see a need to charge more than four at a time, and not having to worry about the details is nice.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 04:45:43 PM »
I just bought the Thunder Power 4-position charger.  I don't see a need to charge more than four at a time, and not having to worry about the details is nice.

I have from 5 to 7 flight packs depending on the plane. I'm generally charging 5 or 6 at a time and if I need to do 7 I put the last one on the other charge channel which I generally don't do because 7 flights is a lot. Parallel charging is the way. Granted it isn't for the casual faint of heart. There are a few details one must maintain in the process but those aren't overly taxing when you get the hang of it.
Life is good AMA 1488

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here