News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:38:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What a Day..  (Read 896 times)

Offline IdRatherBeBuilding

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
What a Day..
« on: February 17, 2019, 01:48:09 AM »
This post is going to be.. slightly longish. But I really think it needs to be said.

I have a pretty good amount of FF/CL/RC kits. I love to build. I consider flying an added bonus, but my love is in building.
Now, I haven't flown CL since 79. And that was a Goldberg Stuntman. And I flew the heck out of that plane with my best friend, he had a combat kitten. I remember flying at 8pm, and all I could see was the glow in the open ports of my little Cox 049. Then I turned 15, got my license and then a job, and was able to afford dating and RC.
The past few years I've been itching to get a Real CL plane going. With that meaning a built up wing, and anything bigger than a 049.
I did start a Ringmaster Jr. about 6-7 years ago. But never finished. I dont know why. It just ended up getting put on the side.

About 3 weeks ago, I opened up a Top Flite Peacemaker that I had in my collection. I just moved to Utah and I don't know anybody where I live (that's a whole other story and another thread). Since I don't have anyone to look to, I looked up CL building on Youtube. I found Stunthanger's channel and watched his work. I made a few comments and then Rusty asked if I joined Stunthanger.com. So I did. That was 3 weeks ago.

In the past 3 weeks, I spent maybe around 3 hours on my kit. I can't count how many hours I've spent reading on this site. I Really need to get my computer off my bench so I can get some work done.

A few days ago, I got a message from a member here, Brent Williams. Turns out he lives about 1.5 mi from me! I got in touch with him and he offered to help me with any advice in what to get to fly stunt, and where he flies. Later He offers to introduce me to a guy that got him into CL some 25 years ago. So we made an arrangement to see this guy. He was suppose to have a nice collection of some well finish planes and a pretty good flier too.
Today Brent and I went to Brent's friend's house. Brrent introduced us, "David, this is Gordan Delany". I was in awe. Not just from Gordan, but his shop is... I cant even describe it. It's like being 8 years old and Actually going to Willy Wonkas Factory. The planes in his shop were immaculate. Even as they were being worked on. Brent offered to shovel some new snow off the their driveway and left me and Gordan alone.  I didn't know how to react to him. I was a bit overwhelmed and very intimidated. Then he just walked over to me and started talking shop. He showed me some of his special planes that were very dear to him and shared some personal stories about the connections of the planes he had. It's like I knew this guy for years. You seldom meet people that genuine, let alone people you share a common interest in. If he finds this post and reads this, I hope he's not upset. To call him modest is an understatement. And that experience will last me the rest of my days.

Now, my day didn't end there.. I drove back with Brent Williams and we talked about all kinds of things. I mean, it's like you knew the guy for years. It's like talking to Gordan too. With reason, Brent looks up to Gordan and praises him not just for his flying and building, or engineering but also for the person Gordan his. And understandably so.
Now, Brent invites me into his home. He has 5 adorable kids and 3 are playing in the livingroom. I love kids so I waited there and he goes and pulls out a few of his planes. This guys thinks out of the box. He had some really cool original things. I'm dying to share them, but I'm not sure if he would appreciate that. But, there pretty darn cool!
When I was ready to leave, He pulls out another plane. This time a Goldberg Cosmic Wind. Now, remember I said I flew a Goldberg stuntman earlier? I used to drool over the Cosmic Wind and the Shoe String Stunter when I was a kid. Brent hands the friggin thing to me and says, "Here, this will be a good stunt trainer for you" I mean come on already! He also says that he'll help out on my flying. The student found a teacher.
What a Day...
But thats not the end.

So I'm building a Peacemaker and looking for an engine for it. Something old and has "that look" about it. I found a beautiful O&R 23 glow. I'm completely ignorant of these motors and started a thread about my new found motor. Mostly, I wanted to know if it was converted to glow. Found out it wasn't. Some came that way. 
Well, Bill Adair saw my thread and offered to send me some O&R stuff he had. He mentioned the info he had on these engines and that he has a 23 ignition. I also mentioned in that thread that I really am fascinated with the old ignition engines. I think they're beautiful. But I've never seen one and wouldn't know where to start to get one together.
I get home, still grinning with my Cosmic Wind in my hand and notice a box on my porch. Then I find a large envelope on my desk. I opened the box and I find an O&R 23 ignition with all the other parts that go with it. The Coil, the condensor and the batt holder and high tension wire. I am now, physically laughing out loud. I open the envelope and all the paper work on the O&R engines are in it. Articles, diagrams, the operator's manual.. everything!
Now, Bill did tell me has sending me some things. And he did kind of point out about the O&R 23, but it just didn't register with me. I remember thinking, "Did I hear that right?" I just don't know what to say.. But I'm sure I'll have another sleepless night tonight   ~>

My situation is quite unique and it has me staying at home throughout the week. I love to build pretty much anything, but my passion is in model aviation. I didn't even expect to have anyone to fly my Peacemaker with. I just wanted to build it, and get a flight in here and there in some far out places.
Here I am just a few weeks into my new hobby and the people here have changed my life by making a big part of it a big passion again. I literally feel like I'm 14 again. I am that excited.
And it all started with Rusty's Youtube video and home telling me to join this site.

Here's some pictures of the engine Bill sent me and the Cosmic Wind Brent gave me today

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 02:06:00 AM by IdRatherBeBuilding »
David Miller

A society grows great when old men plant trees the shade they know they will never sit in

• Lieutenant
Re: What a Day..
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 02:07:40 AM »
Here's MY Cosmic Wind!  ;D
David Miller

A society grows great when old men plant trees the shade they know they will never sit in

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 02:08:56 AM »
and I now own not just an ignition engine an O&R 23!
David Miller

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 08:31:52 AM »
Good times. Have fun!

Divot

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 08:50:47 AM »
David that is what is great about this hobby.  Yes Gordon is another of my heroes in stunt.  I had two of those O&R .23 ignition engines.   I couldn't get the hang of them and sold to a chap over in merry ole England.   I now have a Peacemaker kit in the shop that I picked up at a swap meet back in November or December.   Any way you have some pretty good guys out your way.  D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 11:03:40 AM »
Thanks Dave   :D

John- I came up with a theory a while back.
It's a certain kind of character, to spend hours building something to the best of their ability, sit back and just be in awe of their accomplishment and then go out and watch it be destroyed in seconds. Only to go back and it all over again until they succeed. Those moments define a person. How you look at the experience dictates will what kind of person you're going to be. Having a proud moment taking away from you so abruptly builds humility. That's what I've found in my peers of model aviation.
Today, with the advent of ARFs and PnP, many lose that experience. The experience is now changed from an emotional loss, to a financially one. It just isn't the same. The builder has a lot more invested into a project and sees the planes as part of themselves. I dont have a problem with ARFs. I even "Let My Friends Buy ARFs"  ;) But I don't consider them "modelers" I believe they are fliers.
Well, thats my thoughts on it anyway.
I gotta go. I need to find that box of engines buried in the basement for my Cosmic Wind!
I can't even type that without smiling   :##
David Miller

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 01:34:46 PM »
Hi David, I'm glad you had a positive experience! 
Happy to help out.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 10:28:18 PM »
Hi David,

Glad the stuff arrived. Enjoy!  H^^

I don't really remember what displacement the O&R is, but I got it a few months ago from Dane Martin, and he may remember. I thought he said it was a 19?

One sheet I sent was the history of O&R, with engines categorized by size, type, and serial number range. If you can make out the s/n on the back case of that engine, it should narrow it down to displacement for you.

Later pal,

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 11:16:22 PM »
Thanks Again SO Much Bill.
I've been comparing the 2 engines, the 29 and the one you sent me. They look similar in height, but the 29 has a bigger diameter cylinder case. I plan to tear both down and I'll measure them out and inspect them. No reason why other than curiosity.
I'll planning to set a little time tonight (or more like morning) and read through the paperwork.

You guys are awsome!
David Miller

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 11:43:38 PM »
David,

I don't think you can remove the cylinder, or head of an O&R engine! The cylinder and head are an integral unit, and the cylinder is spot welded into the frame.

I've heard that the guy who had equipment to re-weld O&R cylinders is no longer doing that. Another good reason to run them as ignition engines, so you don't accidentally remove the cylinder while running!   :o  ;D

Spent a few weeks at Hill AFB many years ago, at the Minute Man missile (Autonetics) guidance facility. Loved that area!

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 11:10:19 AM »
Thank you Dave for the nice comments.It`s always fun to share the hobby with new people with the same intrest. Glad you enjoyed my shop and my hanger. I`m running out Room.I`m slowly running out room and gas. I hope i Can still fly good enouh at eighgy all will be well.'

Gordy
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:27:28 AM by Gordan Delaney »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here