News:

• April 25, 2024, 04:19:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Watch out for those sneaky trees! Disastrous  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Watch out for those sneaky trees! Disastrous
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:36:17 AM »
Disaster struck today.  I did not fully notice that the painted lines of the soccer field had been moved closer to the sidewalk, and the accompanying trees.  For years, we used those painted lines as our usual flight line indicator.  I have had several flying sessions this year by my house, but this was my first flying session of the year with Gordan out at the park by Gordan's house.   I was kind of in a complacent autopilot mode regarding our pit and flight line area.  I flew one flight and then decided to center myself between the goal posts, as usual, for the second flight.  The sidewalk and trees were 180° from launch. 

180° immediately after launch for the second flight, I encountered afore mentioned tree.  Sheared the outboard wing like it was nothing.  Bummer!  I flew out the full tank feeling dumb. 

End of the adventure with the El Vira airplane.  I doubt this one will buff out.

Looks like I have major motivation to move more rapidly with the completion of my other plane projects.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Watch out for those sneaky trees! Disastrous
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:58:53 AM »
Might have been an interesting flight to film from the drone?
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 01:59:24 AM »
That's a bummer. Sorry to hear of your mishap. Looks like she was a good airplane. I'm going to get out tomorrow for the first time this year. Fortunately where I've been flying there are no obstacles to worry about. Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 04:58:51 PM »
That is sad you didn't check clearance first.  At least at our circle all we have to worry about now is if we stray off center is the railroad ties,  then it is the ruts the brainless turd keeps putting in the circle and last is the moles that Dave is feeding some kind of worms to.   Most of the grass in the center is still yet to sprout up.  At least our take off area has some grass.  Dave mowed it today.  Can now say the DOC Special has air time on it. 

By the way it looks like an easy splice job on that wing. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 05:49:45 PM »
Yikes... but you arent alone.

Ground jumped up and bit my Mentor trainer saturday while doing outsides

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 06:02:25 PM »
Once on practice day at a contest I hit a fence post 1/2 lap after take off with an I-Beam SV-12. The outboard wing exploded into hundreds of pieces. Dave Hemstrought said it sounded  like a gunshot, quite spectacular. I spent the afternoon and evening in the hotel repairing/recovering/re-doping the wing and flew it the next day.

Curt

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 06:39:10 PM »
Once on practice day at a contest I hit a fence post 1/2 lap after take off with an I-Beam SV-12. The outboard wing exploded into hundreds of pieces. Dave Hemstrought said it sounded  like a gunshot, quite spectacular. I spent the afternoon and evening in the hotel repairing/recovering/re-doping the wing and flew it the next day.

Curt

I have been lamenting my poor lost plane today.  Glad to know I'm not the only one to have, uh... "flown the wings off" of their plane....   :-[ Embarrassing.

Alas, all is not lost in the land of toy planes.  I do have a few flyable planes ready to go and several others that are on deck, nearly ready to fly.

Good lesson, though.  Complacency is the enemy. 
Check your flying site, check your handle, check your lines, check your line clips, ect. 
The little, seemingly simple things are the ones that jump up and bite you.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 07:22:53 PM »
I can relate! I hit a pole at a baseball field last year on the landing! Outboard wing got a big dent and ripped the nose of the airplane off. I was more angry than embarrassed.

Sorry bud!
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »
You have my sympathies .  .   .
I have had fence poles and fencing move right into my circle
writing off my best plane just as I attempted to land.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:13:23 PM by Bobs your Uncle »

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 11:17:55 PM »
I once lost half a wing to a tree. That sucks. It was a long time ago, but I remember it well. Mine kept flying too.

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »
Just for grins, here is a picture of mine while in construction so you have an idea of how many pieces it was in after hitting the fence. The fence was not the first thing it hit however. I caught the tail of the fuse in a ceiling fan not long after this photo, then caught a Carolina Hornet with it at its first contest. The dead hornet bounced around in the wing the rest of the day, slicing more and more covering towards the outboard tip as the day went on. 

It is refinished now, with 3 kill markings next to the canopy. A Ceiling Fan, a Chain Link Fence, and a Carolina Hornet!

Curt

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 06:06:12 PM »
You have my sympathies .  .   .
I have had fence poles and fencing move right into my circle
writing off my best plane just as I attempted to land.

GSSC in Clovis, Strega ARF...what year was that?  ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 06:09:55 PM »
Brent- I guess " Till Birnam wood remove to Dunsinane,
I cannot taint with fear".  The woods are in attack mode!
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here