General control line discussion > Open Forum

Washers to Level the Engine's Lug Sitting?

(1/4) > >>

Kafin Noe’man:
Here’s the story, I have the engine mounting holes missaligned and I have filled it with wooden dowel and epoxied it.
However, I put too much epoxy and it is now all over the place making the engine bearers are not on 'level' for the engine's lug to sit on.

So the question is:
- Is it okay to use washers to get the engine lug on the same plane?

Best,
Kafin

Robert Whitley:
I would suggest making wedges to fix the problem.
Maybe make pieces close to the size and maximum thickness needed then anchor them down with double sided tape on a suitable surface. Then sand to a wedge shape using a sanding block. Drill for your engine mounting screws and glue them in place.

This would work with whatever material you wish to make them out of. I would suggest hard maple, aluminum or phenolic. Plastic or nylon might be a bit easier to work with but adhesives would not bond to them as well. Not an issue if you choose to leave them loose.

Good luck.

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Ty Marcucci on June 21, 2022, 11:55:49 AM ---I agree with Robert, but Brodak has or used to have nylon wedges in 1 to 3 degrees for sitting under an engine lug for off set. You might want to try them. D>K

--- End quote ---
I would get a large dremmel cutoff tool and use it flat to grind off the excess epoxy and about 1/32 of the mount as level as you can get it.  I would then cut some 1/32" aluminum plates and drill them to fit the engine.  Put some Epoxy on the mounts, lay the plates in place then mount the engine and tighten down.  The plates will set into the epoxy and fom a perfectly flush mount.  You can skip the eztra 1/32 ground off if you have not carved the nose for the spinner.

Ken

Doug Moisuk:
Why not remove the excess epoxy?

Dan McEntee:
  get the wood as level as you can, any way you can, then lay on some 3/32" or 1/8" aluminum pads to mount the engine on. With everything set in place, the engine should not rock at all when it's set onto the mounts. Forcing things will distort the case and cause run problems.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version