News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:33:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VSC 30, March 13-17, 2018 - Tucson, Az  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
VSC 30, March 13-17, 2018 - Tucson, Az
« on: February 16, 2018, 06:02:40 AM »
The 30th annual Vintage Stunt Championships (VSC) is a month away.  This year we hope to see a nice turnout and have arranged for some special and onetime events to commemorate the 30th anniversary. I think you’ll like the T-shirt too.

ENTRIES
VSC entries close in two weeks (Friday Mar 2, 2018).  By this date we need to have heard from you and know your intention.  Please send entries to John Callentine.  His contact info is on the attached entry form.

FORMAT
We are tweaking the format to give the contestants more flights in the mornings during the best weather window.  Still a 5 day format with social events in the evening. 

RAFFLE
We are also soliciting donations for the annual raffle.  Please contact me or LeRoy Black if you have something you’d like to donate to the raffle.  All contact info is on the attached entry form.

Thank you,
Jim Hoffman
CD
Windswept4@cox.net
480-329-3316

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: VSC 30, March 13-17, 2018 - Tucson, Az
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:10:20 PM »
Can't wait, man!
Chris...

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 12:35:33 AM »
This showed up as a suggested watch on my you tube channel.
1966 Tucson. VSC before it was VSC.
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 12:20:42 PM »
Thanks for posting.

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 07:36:12 PM »
The guy with dark hair, triplane, and lots of trophies is Ted Snow of Tucson.  Ted is now passed; he was a life long modeler, a colorful guy, and the designer of the ubiquitous Humungous stunter now seen in OTS circles.  Ted had CL scale ships w/ working bomb drops; he enjoyed using my stunt ship in the pits as a target.  His son Randy Snow is still active in CL scale and carrier in Tucson.

Jim Hoffman

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 09:10:38 PM »
Ted was a great guy, and a fantastic builder. When Ted came to contests he would take his planes out of his van and
 display them. They were true works of art.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:40:57 PM »
This showed up as a suggested watch on my you tube channel.
1966 Tucson. VSC before it was VSC.

Great video, thanks!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »
Can I ask a favor. Will some one please get a picture of two wild and crazy kids at VSC and post it on SH.
Charlie Reeves is making his 20th appearance and Jim Lynch is making his first.
Two great people. 😎

Thanks in advance!
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 04:02:03 PM »
Got my entry in just under the wire.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 08:48:16 PM »
I was at the site today,  Circle #3 (northernmost) has been repaved and repainted.  It is perfect!!!   Thanks John Callentine and Lou Wolgast for doing the legwork.

If you bounce a landing, don't blame the circle. :)
photos attached

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 09:24:38 PM »
The guy with dark hair, triplane, and lots of trophies is Ted Snow of Tucson.  Ted is now passed; he was a life long modeler, a colorful guy, and the designer of the ubiquitous Humungous stunter now seen in OTS circles.  Ted had CL scale ships w/ working bomb drops; he enjoyed using my stunt ship in the pits as a target.  His son Randy Snow is still active in CL scale and carrier in Tucson.

Jim Hoffman

I was pleased to see Ted Snow at the first or second VSC I attended in the early 90's. I recognized him from his photos in the model mags. That year he did as Tony mentions, had all of his models out and on display even though he wasn't competing and I appreciated them, may have taken a picture or two, will have to check sometime. That Spitfire looked like it had a bit of a balance problem but he was handling it. I think he was on a cover for a magazine with that one or I may be remembering the photo from the construction article. What struck me about Mr.  Snow was that resembled my Dad A LOT when my Dad was younger. My dad had the same kind of wavy hair. Consequently, I have an older brother named Ted that he resembles also.  That multi engine model looked like an early C-130? It looked like it flew well. Great video, thanks for posting!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Just checked video again. Is that 4 Cox engines powering that C-130? Sure looks like it even in the poor quality video. Impressive.!
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 10:26:33 PM »
I was at the site today,  Circle #3 (northernmost) has been repaved and repainted.  It is perfect!!!   Thanks John Callentine and Lou Wolgast for doing the legwork.

photos attached

I think I'm about the only one that has bounced a landing since it was re surfaced.  Stupidity!

That circle is so smooth that my Colossus rolls for 3/4 of a lap after touch down with no jiggles even.  Looks almost like a tether car!  LL~ LL~ much slower though!

Hoping to see lots of you guys there!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 06:19:33 AM »

photos attached

So, if its not the airplanes fault, not the wind's fault and perchance not even the pilot's fault, then it must be the asphalt...

(ok that's an oldie)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 05:29:54 PM »
In an effort to get added publicity for VSC, Arizona Highways magazine was contacted.  I believe VSC would make a splendid article for their monthly magazine.

They choose to put it on their website/blog, but not in the hard copy magazine.

Here is a link to the on-line article that just came out.   https://www.arizonahighways.com/blog

The article is the result of a 30 minute phone interview with me and my submission of about 40 photos and last years Stunt News VSC article. 

I wish (and did request) that they send a reporter to the contest and also that the article appear in the hard copy magazine.  The author left out a lot of stuff, but got it mostly correct.  I asked to proof read it before it went to print, but I was denied.

I tried to get Az Highways interested many years ago with no success.  Tom Dixon was able to rattle the cage sucessfully this time.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 06:22:38 PM »
Jim,

Well, it's a good article and a real victory for VSC to get some publicity from AZ Highways Mag!  Good job, and "Well Done" to you and others that were involved!.

Too bad the Magazine publishers took such a short view of providing some photos and space in the Magazine!  Given some of the short sighted crap they often publish it's not very understandable!  Guess all that can be said is Thanks Anyway!

Unfortunately like all commercial publications I'm sure they are most interested in satisfying the tourist industry and their major advertisers.  Not too many "Model Airplane" ads in their Magazine  LL~ LL~.

Again,...Great job on your part and all others connected.  Keep trying!  Thanks for your efforts for VSC and CL modeling in general.  They have been very important to our little community and "WE" owe you a tremendous debt of gratitude!

Thank You!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 07:17:17 PM »
I cannot watch the video posted here, because of the added black spots, specks and stripes that flicker through the film. I have old 8mm film , from earlier than 1966, and it has none of the fouling introduced into that video. I believe the black spots and stripes are added to make people believe it is really old, and nostalgic.
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline Gray Ghost

• New Pilot
  • Michael Higgins
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 05:51:51 PM »
I cannot watch the video posted here, because of the added black spots, specks and stripes that flicker through the film. I have old 8mm film , from earlier than 1966, and it has none of the fouling introduced into that video. I believe the black spots and stripes are added to make people believe it is really old, and nostalgic.

Hi everyone.  I posted the old video above.  It's the real deal... imperfections and all.  My father, John Higgins, was good friends with Ted Snow and co-worker at Apache Tire at the time.

He recorded it.  Unfortunately, the 8mm film sat for decades in a non-climate controlled area deteriorating.  I was able to get all the 8mm film reels converted to digital including this one.

Glad you all enjoyed it.  My mother, Joan, also in the video (holding me as a baby) was friends with Ted's wife, Dixie.  I'm trying to get in touch with his son, Randy.  Email address?  Cell?

Ted was a truly gifted designer, builder, flyer and overall C/L enthusiast.  My father gave me his Sopwith Camel biplane with Fox .35; a Ted Snow design.  Beautiful model that can still fly!

I was born in Tucson, and remember later in life visiting Ted's 2nd home with my parents, and seeing all the great models in his garage.  Ted inspired me to become a pilot later in life :-)

Thanks, Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2018, 07:06:25 PM »
Randy is a member on here,  send him a PM(private message). D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 10:47:54 AM »
I'll be there. Not sure I'll have a plane, but I'll at least spectate.

Should have read the dates. Pretty funny for all that. Sigh...
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here