General control line discussion > Open Forum

VP Powermaster 10% Nitro ; 18% Oil Mean & Green

(1/5) > >>

Kafin Noe’man:
I had ordered a gallon of VP Powermaster 10% Nitro 18% Oil (Air — which is a castor/synthetic blend 20:80), but unfortunately they didn’t have that anymore and just sent me the Mean & Green one which I believe this is a full synthetic.

I’m going to use the fuel for my LA-46.

So the question is, can I use that Mean & Green fuel as is?

I’ve also been thinking to add some more pure castor oil (I can find Merlin Castor Oil MA-220) in order to increase the % of oil to 22%. If my math is correct, I need to add 194 ml (6.5 oz) of oil and doing this will make a 22:78 castor/synth blend.

What do you guys think about it? Should I return it or just proceed with adding more castor oil?

Dave_Trible:
If it were me I'd sure add the castor oil. 

Dave

Colin McRae:
Kafin, your math seems correct on a gallon basis.

The OS 46LA owner's manual recommends 20% oil but also says do not go lower than 18%. And the manual says full syn can be used but is less tolerant of lean operation.

I would add the castor. And be sure no not set the needle too lean on the ground.

The following is on a quart basis (multiply by 4 for gallon basis). To add castor to the mean and green fuel:

For 20% total oil, the mix would be 31.2oz of fuel / 0.8 oz of castor (resulting in 12% castor in the fuel blend)

For 22% total oil, the mix would be 30.4oz of fuel / 1.6 oz of castor (resulting in 23% castor in the fuel blend)

I would use the 22% oil blend. I have run LA's at 23% oil in the past (Brodak fuels) with no issues. I currently run my LA's at 20% total oil (32% castor/68% syn).

Chris McMillin:
I used to run castor but in the LA 46 I found better runs from no castor. I used Powermaster 15nitro , 18oil , and found the needle much steadier than custom blends with castor. I changed over time coming to this conclusion, and compared flights on the same day after consulting experienced guys like John Hill and Joe Gilbert.
Chris…

Kafin Noe’man:

--- Quote from: Chris McMillin on May 08, 2024, 08:03:41 AM ---I used to run castor but in the LA 46 I found better runs from no castor. I used Powermaster 15nitro , 18oil , and found the needle much steadier than custom blends with castor. I changed over time coming to this conclusion, and compared flights on the same day after consulting experienced guys like John Hill and Joe Gilbert.
Chris…

--- End quote ---

Hi Chris,
Is your fuel the ‘Mean & Green’ version as well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version