News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:21:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vinyl lettering  (Read 1916 times)

Offline johnt4051

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Flying Lines
Vinyl lettering
« on: December 12, 2018, 01:35:52 PM »
Is there anyone who does vinyl lettering nowadays -- for AMA numbers and such?  I used to use Vinylwrite, but he is no longer in business.
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Tom Vieira

Re: Vinyl lettering
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 01:38:09 PM »
I have a buddy that does great work:

https://stickershock23.com/

he's an avid R/C modeler as well, and I'm gently nudging him in to CL ;)

he'll do anything you need.  masks, letters, graphics, etc.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 01:49:43 PM »
Check with Mike Haverly.  He does masks for folks, he may be willing to run some lettering vinyl through his machine.

Tom Brightbill has a machine, too, but when it comes to computers the force is not strong within him.  I'm not sure he's gotten it working.

At one point a long time ago someone suggested just going to your local sign shop and seeing if they want to mess with it.  If you just want the lettering in a font they already have (as, opposed, say, to making a custom cut file that says "Sister Jenny" in a gothic font) then it should be pretty straightforward.  I don't think you need a special vinyl -- just stuff that's designed to go on once and stick forever.  What I have an Sister Jenny has been very durable, holding up to just about everything the world has thrown at it, except for this one loose motor and prop...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 02:01:27 PM »
Check out

https://callie-graphics.com/

She does custom work.  Reasonable prices.  Amazing website.  She does vinyl lettering and markings.  Makes decals.  Makes stencils.

Keith

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 02:09:54 PM »
In the vendors section you will find CFC Graphics.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »
Had a buddy in my town do my numbers for my Twister in chrome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »

At one point a long time ago someone suggested just going to your local sign shop and seeing if they want to mess with it.  If you just want the lettering in a font they already have (as, opposed, say, to making a custom cut file that says "Sister Jenny" in a gothic font) then it should be pretty straightforward.  I don't think you need a special vinyl -- just stuff that's designed to go on once and stick forever.  What I have an Sister Jenny has been very durable, holding up to just about everything the world has thrown at it, except for this one loose motor and prop...

The local sign shops are great. I drew up this nonsense and had a local shop print it. But be careful and ask for a quote first. Lol.  I didn't know they had a set up fee. These graphics cost me a little over $60!

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 04:29:57 PM »
Hey John,
Chris and I  can make anything you neen.
Alan

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 05:02:00 PM »
Charles, aka Aviaojet makes some really nice stuff....

CFC Graphics

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 05:43:11 PM »
John, there are many here nearby.  Me, Tom B., Chris C. and Alan R.  Email what you want, no big deal.
Mike

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 03:47:52 AM »
https://doityourselflettering.com/    DIY Lettering has worked for me.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 04:11:39 AM »
I've never used vinyl lettering but I was wondering-does it require a clear overcoat?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 06:05:30 AM »
I've never used vinyl lettering but I was wondering-does it require a clear overcoat?

Well OK, I'll reply by popular demand.  LL~

Some of my customers apply a clear coat and some do NOT.

All of my personal models have a clear coat. All I recommend is auto 2 part clear. Been suggesting this since I've been in the Forum. I do not recommend any other clear coat product but you're on your own.

I've been using vinyl in my sign, art and graphics business since 1973. Hard for me to believe. And yes, the quality has changed for the better. It's thinner and much more flexible depending on the brand and cost.

"No one does graphics like the Jet!"  LL~ LL~ LL~

Scale CL NATS winners have sported CFC Graphics.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/profile.cfm?section=gallery&memID=11343&pageon=1
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 07:57:14 AM »
https://doityourselflettering.com/    DIY Lettering has worked for me.
Thanks for posting this link. I am probably going to build a Terry Prather Winder soon. It took no time at all to make this custom font. It will be easy to capture a screenshot, print it out, then use photo Frisket film or clear dollar store shelf paper vinyl to place on top and cut out with an exacto knife and paint it on with dope.😁

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 01:28:49 PM »
Like Trostle

All of my airplanes are marked in color with graphics from Callie Graphics.     https://callie-graphics.com/

Al Rabe

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 01:53:46 PM »
Chris Cox and I bougnt a vinyl cutter about 6 years ago as the cost of getting all the paint masks we used was getting out of hand.  A short learning curve but it has easily paid for itself.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 06:32:25 AM »
Nothing wrong with favoring commercial business that don't participate in Forums.

Free choice is great!

So, you might want to try Bad Brad. X cop turned graphics guy.

http://www.badbradgraphics.com/

There's many others, I'll dig them up and get them Posted.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 10:53:23 AM »
Don't want to leave anyone out, especially those that have commercial business.

This could be a good choice?

http://www.bandegraphix.com/

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 07:58:34 PM »
When I needed to do a repair on my ex-Norm Whittle "Eagle", I tried to peel off the graphics in a small area. It was Monokote of some sort, applied to white epoxy paint, probably K&B Superpoxy, and sealed down with Monokote trim solvent. Could NOT get the stuff off, even using trim solvent, and it was NOT clear coated. My opinion is that Monokote isn't a bad option for graphics and numbers, especially when used with trim solvent. And you could clear coat over it if you insisted.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2018, 07:22:01 AM »
When I needed to do a repair on my ex-Norm Whittle "Eagle", I tried to peel off the graphics in a small area. It was Monokote of some sort, applied to white epoxy paint, probably K&B Superpoxy, and sealed down with Monokote trim solvent. Could NOT get the stuff off, even using trim solvent, and it was NOT clear coated. My opinion is that Monokote isn't a bad option for graphics and numbers, especially when used with trim solvent. And you could clear coat over it if you insisted.  H^^ Steve

Someone in the Forum cuts his own lettering and graphics using Monokote. He does really good work. Can't remember who. A red and white Mig comes to mind.

So yes, that could work and probably work quite well.

However, and I've been saying this for years, just go to your local sign shops and ask them to save their vinyl scraps. They will be free.

The quality of vinyl material will probably be better and you can eliminate the trim solvent around the edges.

Also, just a tad of heat and vinyl can be removed easily to replace or change. 3M makes a product to remove adhesive quickly without damaging the surface.

As far as clear coat, they do look better under a nicely applied clear coat, my opinion.

I always cleared my models because it's easier to clean them. I've been using vinyl on my models since 1996.

The modelers who use my graphics, who compete in scale events. always clear the model and the graphics.

One last thing. Colored "trim sheets" are available at HS and Hobby Suppliers. They work but the adhesive used does not hold up over time. Unless they have been improved?

All these models sport my graphics or paint masks. Everything is custom made for the model, especially the Warbirds and scale models.

Take a look! There are some contest winners there!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/profile.cfm?section=gallery&memID=11343&pageon=1

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here