News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:57:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vintage Nationals  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Amy Latka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Vintage Nationals
« on: November 19, 2022, 12:46:46 PM »
Greetings! My dad is Ken Budensiek, a member here.  Some of you may know him.  He is more known for filming and photographing control-line stunt than for flying the planes.  He taught me to fly control line planes long ago and took me along as a young kid (in the early 80s) to a number of national competitions.  Anyhow, he recently got a machine to start converting some of his old movie film directly to digital.  I have some background in video editing and so I'm helping him get some footage converted to digital format, edited into something people might actually want to see, and shared to YouTube where hobbyists like yourselves and view and enjoy it.   

I think I will help him get his own YouTube channel set up, but in the mean time, here is one of our first little projects. This is an excerpt from the 1968 Nationals in Olathe, KS. I think he shared some of this in the past, but it wasn't a a good copy.  I hope to help him continue to get his memories shared.  I hope you enjoy this one.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Vintage Nationals
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 10:03:58 PM »
 Awesome, it's great you're making this effort, looking forward to more!  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 10:13:40 PM »
Nice work, Amy. Very clear and sharp.the frame flicker elimination is astounding!
Chris...

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 07:58:34 AM »
Hi Amy
I WAS THERE, at the ripe old age of 14.  I really enjoyed the opening 1:30 or so of the people & airplanes lined up for processing.  Just went back through it a couple frames at a time, seeing how many of the people I could identify.  Yup, was looking for myself too..! (without success)

THANK YOU for reclaiming and sharing these movies! And of course, many thanks to your dad for taking them in the first place and keeping them around.  I am looking forward to seeing more movies like this.  PLEASE keep us advised when other movies are available to view.   
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 08:28:01 AM »
Great Job, Amy, more .....
Your Dad also traveled with the FAI team overseas for some of the world championships.  He filmed the team race finials at one of the worlds from the judges stand, shooting down at the circle.  It was excellent.  I always thought, from seeing that video, that controlline should be on Saturday TV, just like log rolling or chain saw championships.  The video of that race, shot from a knowledgeable video person, was great, all it needed was Howard Cosell doing the play-by-play. 
Thank you for sharing these films with us.
Frank

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 09:46:08 AM »
Excellent Amy, [please keep them coming.

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Amy Latka

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 05:00:18 PM »
Hi Amy
I WAS THERE, at the ripe old age of 14.  I really enjoyed the opening 1:30 or so of the people & airplanes lined up for processing.  Just went back through it a couple frames at a time, seeing how many of the people I could identify.  Yup, was looking for myself too..! (without success)

THANK YOU for reclaiming and sharing these movies! And of course, many thanks to your dad for taking them in the first place and keeping them around.  I am looking forward to seeing more movies like this.  PLEASE keep us advised when other movies are available to view.

You're very welcome! Dad remembers you.  He says he has footage of your dad from the vintage stunt championships. He's thinking 1991 maybe, though he (my dad) also attended the vintage stunt champs in the early 2000s.  He remembers meeting your dad at a stunt clinic in Milwaukee, WI in 1989.

He says he still has a muffler that he bought from your dad in 1977 when we lived in CA.  He also said he wouldn't trade it for anything.  He put it on a Super Tigre 46 custom modified by his good buddy in Wichita, by the name of Lou Wollard.

Offline Amy Latka

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 05:03:54 PM »
Great Job, Amy, more .....
Your Dad also traveled with the FAI team overseas for some of the world championships.  He filmed the team race finials at one of the worlds from the judges stand, shooting down at the circle.  It was excellent.  I always thought, from seeing that video, that controlline should be on Saturday TV, just like log rolling or chain saw championships.  The video of that race, shot from a knowledgeable video person, was great, all it needed was Howard Cosell doing the play-by-play. 
Thank you for sharing these films with us.
Frank

Thank you so much.  Yes, dad agrees with you!  I remember when he went to Kiev.  Having the perspective of a knowledgeable photographer/videographer makes all the difference.  ;D

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 01:10:11 PM »
Thanks Amy, for posting the video, glad to see it was digitized from I guess Super-8 mm film. Reminds me of the circles at Hickham AFB, Honolulu early 1970's, where I as a high schooler would occasionally drive there on weekends to watch the airmen fly their stunt planes on recreational fields set aside for such.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 04:05:00 PM »
Really excellent transfer job.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 06:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the memory Amy. I was there with my family as a spectator and official. I did some timing for the free flight event. It was a great week. My four kids swam in the officers pool. That was the only Navy Nats I went to. Glad I made it to that one. It was a happening. Thanks again.
Jim Kraft

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 08:42:47 PM »
Amy

How far back will your video's go.  I would love to see some footage of my first Nats as a Senior in 1964.  I had a few pictures but lost them all in a fire.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 03:00:26 PM »
VERY COOL.. THANKS FOR POSTING

Advertise Here

Advertise Here