News:

• May 04, 2024, 06:06:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: some little teasers!!!  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
some little teasers!!!
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:10:38 PM »
I just got back from putting on the decals on the Trivial Pursuit toinght, and I thought I would be a jerk and ONLY show little pieces of the airplane rather than the whole thing  LL~  And besides, the lettering is yet to go on, and for what I have planned, that should come out good, just need the rain to stop so the humidity will go down.

Matt Colan

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: some little teasers!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:45:39 PM »
Matt,

Looks nice, I like the canopy treatment. 

James
AMA 491167

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:13:51 PM »
Looks really sharp Matt, should serve you well this year in your "battles"
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:50:55 PM »
 Looks really nice Matt, but I just can't figure out why some guys put car logos on airplanes.

Windy's Testarossa was a very cool plane, cool enough to deserve a more original name especially since it was an original design. After all it is an airplane, not a car or really anything to do with one. Just my opinion, but I like keeping the focus on the airplane, not distracting or taking away from it with a car reference. To each his own though.

The treatment with the USA lettering is also very nice.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 07:25:21 AM »
Who did your graphics?   Looks great. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 08:03:05 AM »
Looking good Matt.
Neatest "USA" lettering I have seen.  How did you do that ?
Still trying to figure out what that is on the bottom of fuse under the "A"...
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 09:11:39 AM »
I agree with Alan about the USA graphic, very, very cool.
In fact the whole thing looks great!
(Like Ted needed something else to pump up his chest)
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 09:49:53 AM »
Looking good Matt.

It's his pipe tunnel cover.

Looks super Matt! Great attention to detail on this one. I dig it!
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 11:50:27 AM »
Looks like someone's been playing with WordArt. I like it, Matt. Very cool.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 11:57:21 AM »
Looks really nice Matt, but I just can't figure out why some guys put car logos on airplanes.

Windy's Testarossa was a very cool plane, cool enough to deserve a more original name especially since it was an original design. After all it is an airplane, not a car or really anything to do with one. Just my opinion, but I like keeping the focus on the airplane, not distracting or taking away from it with a car reference. To each his own though.

The treatment with the USA lettering is also very nice.

I put a car logo on this because I personally like Lamborghini's A LOT.  I just think they have a very mean, and aggressive style to them that I like, and I thought it would translate nice onto an airplane.
Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »
Who did your graphics?   Looks great. H^^

DOC,  I did the graphics myself on Microsoft word, and printed them out on decal paper.  You can really do quite a bit to get what you want for the wording or anything you want on there. H^^
Matt Colan

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 12:01:24 PM »
Don't forget to put a Trivial Pursuit or PAMPA sticker on your Lamborghini (when you get it). ;D

-Chris

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 12:14:39 PM »
Looking good Matt.

Thanks Allan!  I just did wordart, and inserted a picture instead of colors.  Under the A is the very end of the belly pan for the pipe.
Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 12:15:50 PM »
It's his pipe tunnel cover.

Looks super Matt! Great attention to detail on this one. I dig it!

Thanks Clint!  Wait until the lettering goes on, it should be REALLY nice!!!
Matt Colan

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »
Matt...I gotta say, for a 16 yr old young man, you do very nice work...I can just imagine what your planes
will look like in 10 more years of building experience !

Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »
Matt,

I used Microsoft WordArt (part of Word) for a long time. Lately, I've been using a combination of OpenOffice and The Gimp (sort of like Photoshop). OpenOffice's Fontworks is a bit more flexible than WordArt, but either will work fine. I like the flag background you used on the USA. Very slick.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 05:23:07 PM »
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 08:34:08 PM »
Matt,

I used Microsoft WordArt (part of Word) for a long time. Lately, I've been using a combination of OpenOffice and The Gimp (sort of like Photoshop). OpenOffice's Fontworks is a bit more flexible than WordArt, but either will work fine. I like the flag background you used on the USA. Very slick.

Randy,

I've never heard of OpenOffice, or The Gimp.  I used WordArt on the whole thing, and I'm not that good at Photoshop, probably because I've never fooled around with it that much.  I have used it to find make the image of an eagle completely black, kinda like a silhouette for my grandfather to put on his planes.

The USA was done the usual WordArt way, but I just inserted an image instead of colors.

Matt Colan

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 09:24:56 PM »
OpenOffice is an open-source alternative to Microsoft Office.  The Gimp is an open-source professional quality graphics authoring/retouching package.  You can pretty much do anything in The Gimp, if you can figure out how (it's one of those programs that you have to know, though).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »
OpenOffice is an open-source alternative to Microsoft Office.  The Gimp is an open-source professional quality graphics authoring/retouching package.
For "open-source", you might as well read "free".
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
Come'on Matt....... You got it in clear yet buddy?

:D
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 03:28:30 PM »
Come'on Matt....... You got it in clear yet buddy?

:D

NOPE BECAUSE IT'S BEEN RAINING CONSTANTLY, AND WHEN IT DOESN'T RAIN, I HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL!!!!!!!! I HAVEN'T FLOWN SINCE MARCH 30TH BECAUSE OF ALL THIS RAIN AND IT'S REALLY STARTING TO @#$% ME OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'M CURRENTLY SITTING IN MY HOUSE AS THE 2ND THUNDERSTORM OF TODAY PASSES OVERHEAD!

I feel like I live in Seattle
Matt Colan

Dwayne

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 05:07:43 PM »
NOPE BECAUSE IT'S BEEN RAINING CONSTANTLY, AND WHEN IT DOESN'T RAIN, I HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL!!!!!!!! I HAVEN'T FLOWN SINCE MARCH 30TH BECAUSE OF ALL THIS RAIN AND IT'S REALLY STARTING TO @#$% ME OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'M CURRENTLY SITTING IN MY HOUSE AS THE 2ND THUNDERSTORM OF TODAY PASSES OVERHEAD!

I feel like I live in Seattle

I feel your pain I'm in Ontario Canada and we just had yet another thunder storm I'm waiting for someone to build an ark...lol
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:08:40 PM by Dwayne Donnelly »

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »
Why does the rain make a difference ?

I live in Melbourne where it can rain at any time and any season. Like today is drizzeling.

When I want to paint - Close the garage door, put the heater on - let it warm up for a few hours - then shoot. - Chin up mate still plenty of time.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 08:21:06 PM »

I live in Melbourne where it can rain at any time and any season. Like today is drizzeling.

When I want to paint - Close the garage door, put the heater on - let it warm up for a few hours - then shoot. - Chin up mate still plenty of time.

The dope will blush in the high humidity.  It sucks when it does that.  So it works better to just wait it out.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

larry borden

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »
Joe Gilbert gave me a tip about blushing. Here in North Texas, its always humid, so I let it blush. Then when it comes time to put the clear coat on, I spray using a little of Brodak's Crystal Clear with a lot of thinner and some retarder. The thinned clear lets the moisture, which causes the blush to escape. Not sure whats happening, but it works.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 05:23:43 AM »

Sunday looks like I'll be able to get the lettering on and start clearing.  it's supposed to be sunny and in the low 80s!!
Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 05:31:01 AM »
And couple other things. The school baseball team is in 4th place in our division, and we're going to try and get a 3 seed for playoffs.  The regular season ends tomorrow, and our ultimate goal is to win the state championship, like we've done in soccer and basketball this year!  And according to the weather man, after today, it's supposed to start clearing out and become nice with temps in the mid 80s and sunshine!  #^
Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
So I got the lettering on, and needless to say, it looks FANTASTIC!!!  It's ready for clear now, and due to the weather we're having, I decided to go with urethane clear rather than Brodak clear.

And, I also weighed it....................................................I'm not thrilled but I'm not disappointed either.  It currently weighs 66 ounces with everything on it, and no clear.  It's probably going to end up around 68 or 69 ounces with 2 coats of urethane on it (one dust coat and one wet coat).  Looks like next week, I'll be making the final assembly of the plane, and maybe get it ground run.  Then go flying, just in time as school ends, and now we have to find another place to fly because my backyard just is not drying out with all this rain we're having.  >:(  The only place I can think of near here is my school but there's something going on almost everyday, which could be a bit of a problem.
Matt Colan

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 01:09:01 AM »
Rojett .76..

670 Sq in wing approx - 66 - 68 oz - you will be fine.

Weight isnt everything - Its not a woman..  ~>

Looking forward to seeing it.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 07:24:42 AM »
Rojett .76..

670 Sq in wing approx - 66 - 68 oz - you will be fine.

Weight isnt everything - Its not a woman..  ~>

Looking forward to seeing it.

Yea, and super thick airfoil, I'm not all that worried about it, I just wanted it lighter (don't we all?).  But this plane is much better looking than my Oriental Plus, and that plane I put much more paint on than this one to try and get it right.
Matt Colan

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »
Looks nice - time for more teasers.. now the lettering is on !!  y1

It takes time - its always a constant struggle between weight and paint. - When is it light enough ? If you got 62 - you might say 60 would be idea.

You have a GIANT engine in that - When i was your age - ST.46 was Big & thats all we ran. !  LL~

As one of my mates says " Dont worry about the quality sweety just feel the width "  :P

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 06:41:46 PM »
Looks nice - time for more teasers.. now the lettering is on !!  y1

It takes time - its always a constant struggle between weight and paint. - When is it light enough ? If you got 62 - you might say 60 would be idea.

You have a GIANT engine in that - When i was your age - ST.46 was Big & thats all we ran. !  LL~

As one of my mates says " Dont worry about the quality sweety just feel the width "  :P

I guess I should show the lettering (it came out VERY VERY NICE!!!!!)
Matt Colan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here