News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:10:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vintage Combat Festival 9-23-18  (Read 15861 times)

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Vintage Combat Festival 9-23-18
« on: June 25, 2018, 11:32:42 AM »
This years event is rapidly approaching. I have two new planes ready to go.
First, is a Scarinzi designed Hatchet. I had this in silk last year but not completed. Weight should come in around 18.5 oz.
 Secondly, a new Super Satan. This is probably my best effort so far. All assembled weight is 16.5 oz. Finish is 4.5mm thai silk, dye gold.
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Vintage Combat Festival 9-23-18
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 11:34:21 AM »
Super Satan
AMA 13001

Offline Dennis Warchol

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:51:54 PM »
Super nice Tom
Dennis Warchol

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 04:44:39 AM »
I'll take them both. Gift wrap unnecessary.

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 05:58:14 AM »
Drooling already!!  Got ne Voodoo. Not flown yet. Sorry, no pics H^^  TS

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 08:02:29 AM »
 Wow!!! Really nice, a new contender for the shoot out. VD~
Al

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 09:02:53 AM »
Very nice.  Never enough ammo in your arsenal!
Jim Vigani

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 01:42:01 PM »
Motor man....fun time for vintage combat guys...run what ya brung...few if any rules

Period correct is preferred but if you want to hang a Nelson N36C  on a Nemesis...go for it!

Big Iron with a honking hot 40 pylon engine...do IT!

Zoom back each year in the combat section and see the events and what every body brought and showed off

Up north Look in flying lines to see how they do vintage or Graffiti combat...then Bob Mears in Lubbock...then this north east Fun Fly...

old
Super Tigers
K&Bs
Johnsons
Fox mark or Xs
65% Nitro with Poly prop
6 to 12 pitch props

Note,,,if you do put a Nelson N36c on a modern Mikey Pratt Nemesis II....Make the wing durable!.....mine folded in three laps....did not get a speed but I know it was faster than Ron Columbo's fast win at the the last bladder grabber

Beating the supper Satan in a speed contest....is a serious challenge

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
MM, The whole event is an excuse to see and hear vintage combat planes in action. The more obscure the better.  There is plenty of variety!!   The LS challenge is to see how fast we can get a .36x to go on 60 ft. lines. Best so far , I think, is 126+.  G21 .35 are also 'legal' as are other vintage motors although using Blast in a Greenie or Series '61 maybe not a good idea VD~   TS

PS Matches are not disallowed but seldom take place.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »

Tom, you have become a Master Craftsman.

Those are absolutely superb. The SS is simply stunning. IF there's some type of award for "Best In Show"... the others had better get with it or you'll take home all the marbles!

You East Coast Crazies build some beautiful planes.

Andre

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
Thanks for the compliments gents! I have a couple more I'm working on and something really special if I can get them done in time.
The Hatchet will have a Johnson Combat Special. Larry's original had a small case.

Here's what I'm hoping will go down with the powerplant for this SS. I have a brand new in the box 36x bb purchased several years ago from the original owner. My hope is to get LS hisself and Al to come to my home to build one more official LS tuned 36x! Hopefully,  this motor has a good case and a p&l that can be worked. 

Yes, I'm hoping this will be a contender. Performance wise this one should really do well at 16.5 oz. My original was 18.2 and flew very well. It is now(after being buried twice) 20 oz. and still flies well.

Hope to get out soon for some test hops!

Tom
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:47:47 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 06:32:26 AM »
Thanks Andre!
You will be missed this year. I have been contemplating the 17hr. drive to Tulsa for this year.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 06:59:27 AM »
Tom:

IF you decide to go for it, be sure to let me know and come hell or high water I will be there so we can meet up.

Andre

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
Motorman,
  Just bring something to play with. The fun, comradery  is off the charts!

Tom
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 08:52:36 PM »
It's at the famed Garden State Circle Burner field.
Two Bridges rd. Lincoln park NJ. A $5 donation is all that's ask. We are there from 8am til dark!
Tom
Check out the videos from previous events. A quick search will get you there.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:17:52 AM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 12:54:24 PM »
It's me again.

At the last few stunt contests some of the guys expressed interest in flying speed stunt with our Vintage combat planes during our gathering. So, now not only the Scarinizi speed challenge we'll add the Scarinzi stunt challenge. I have ran this by our CD Tom Hampshire and he and I will develop some rules. However, I'm asking for some input from the forum members as they may have some experience in such an event. IE: fastest pattern from launch to end of clover with bonus points for 5' bottoms #^ lol, judged , not judged. Unfortunately, we wont be able to use all suggestions but, I would appreciate some feedback. This could really be fun and some carnage too!!

Flight streaks might do really well in this one!

I think this will be loads of fun more so for the spectators than the pilots themselves!

Best
Tom
AMA 13001

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 12:03:46 PM »
Oh if I could get him to do it again.  A gentleman used to fly my rat racers in the 60's by the name of Mike McAdams.  He would fly his VooDoos through the AMA pattern every time he flew it.   In one contest the judges said he flew too fast and they get the score written down,  Of course he gave up take off and landing points, no landing gear.   These were VooDoos on full crank case pressure.  If I had only had video recorders back then. H^^

A hint or suggestion start watch when hand signal is given to start engine and stop watch two laps after leveling off rom the clover.   Any maneuvers missed is 5 second penalty.   No points given for maneuvers just do then all on order with required laps between. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 12:04:33 PM »
A few years ago at the Bladder Grabber old (very old) Bob Carver was competing in Big Block Fast and doing quite well with balsa wing (dreamsickles?) ....near the end of the day he won a match and had a full bladder to run out.... I was amazed to see a 80+ year old guy on 60 foot lines and super fast lap times....do about 80% of the PAMPA pattern.....square 8s were almost too fast to recognize
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »
Yeah, I know there's plenty of guys out there that can do it. Fast guys have unbeilavable reflexes...…..

Wait a minute :! How can I not extend the invitation to the Jive Combat Team.. These guys are the most famous combat guys in the stunt community. Bring your Nemesis, Granderdogs, Tyrantulas, Winders, etc. and come fly some stunt! Heck, I'll even build some for you!

Tom

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 07:54:20 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 07:28:29 AM »
The following is our guidelines/rules. We want to keep it light and encourage participation.  Fly at whatever speed your comfortable with;

The objective is to perform the stunt pattern maneuvers in minimum time, from first entry to completion of the 4 leaf clover. In order to permit nostagia combat airplanes to fly without oversize fuel tanks, only one full lap between maneuvers is required. The maneuvers are not scored per se; rather the pattern is reviewed by the timer to see that all maneuvers are completed in order.

Model Eligibility Any model designed, sketched, published, constructed or offered for sale in kit form prior to 1980 which could have been used in combat is eligible, the older the better. The use of original survivor aircraft is specifically encouraged. There is no prohibition of foam wings or plastic covering, but the competitors are at liberty to abuse the fakers who ignore the tradition of silk and dope .

Fight Takeoffs and landings are not judged, handlaunch is expressly permitted. Timing starts at entry into the reverse wing over and stops at the last crossing of the intersection of the 4 leaf clover. Four inverted laps are required. One and a half laps are required after the exit from the overhead eight prior to entry into the 4 leaf clover. Any or all of the following are permitted: level flight height as high as practical, short lines, or smaller maneuvers; all to minmize flight distance and time. An entry not completing all manuevers shall receive no score, but will be accorded as many attempts as time permits.

We will also come up with some special surprise awards.

Thanks,
Tom

AMA 13001

Online mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »
Sounds really fun, wish I could make it. If anyone could shoot some video that'd be great! Thx.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »
Mike,
  I will definitely have the camera rolling all day! It should be very exciting! I do hope the camera cooperates this year. mw~ Rumor has it that a few big time stunt guys might be showing up. Some even building their own combat planes.  H^^

Tom
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 09:27:04 AM »
On the high speed challenge,

Please bring plenty of NITRO. I'll be looking to pass the award on to the next recipient. I'm the holder since 2015!
Unless we donate it to the "Hurl" guys!

AMA 13001

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
Today I finally got my junk running well enough to try the 'speed pattern' as described by CD  tom Hampshire. Here's the specs.  Fox .36x on pressure, original Flite Streak, 60 ft. lines, Master 10-6, about 22 sec. on the flat.

Time   2min 7 sec.   I had no idea what the time would be so this was revelatory. Potential?  Thas what we find out eh?   TS

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 05:46:41 PM »
You guys are gonna have a ball. Way, way back I had a flapped Flight Streak with a 36xBB. It flew a respectable pattern and I won the UMAC Weight Lift with it...somewhere around 1971 or 72. Over 8 lbs., if I recall correctly. Somewhere, I have one of  Scarinzi's  sketches of the event with all the details.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 07:42:41 AM »
Frank: Your post reads as if you aren't going to be there? (i.e. "You guys are gonna have a ball".)

Shucks, I won't be there... but if the above is so... I'm already missing you not being there!

Andre

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »
Hey Andre :

You're melting my heart good buddy !

Yup, can't make this one. But I'll be back next year and I hope you will be, too.

Best regards,
Frank

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 09:10:58 PM »
Frank:

Wife and I are thinking in terms of a New England vacation fall of 2019... but the date of same might not be conducive to attending the Combat Festival. However, if it turns out that New England is a "go" for fall of 2019, we are considering trying to swing through the Whippany area and meet up with as many of you East Coast Crazies that would be willing to do so, and eat supper together somewhere. (Or something like that.)

And yes, it's beginning to sound like this year's Combat Festival is going to be a dandy.

Andre

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 05:04:04 AM »
Andre,
  We will certainly make a day of it if you come out. We could start with a nice big Taylor Ham & egg sandwich for breakfast, Go Fly, break for lunch with a Jimmy Buff Italian hotdog. Go fly! Top the day off with a great dinner. I have a very good cardiologist to clear us out!!
  Seriously, if you make it out your welcome to grab a flight with any of my fleet.

Weather permitting test flight on the new SS tomorrow!

Best,
Tom
AMA 13001

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 06:42:58 AM »
What is the record?

I think short lines are a mistake and a safety issue.   

Vintage combat planes flew on .015" x 60' until they started breaking on test flights.
.018" x 60' triggered the flyaway shutoff rule.
I think permitting substandard lines puts you on thin ice.
Paul Smith

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2018, 08:00:07 AM »
Paul,
  There have been zero comments about using substandard equipment in any of our speed runs. We are all flying on 015× 60' lines. Truly period correct stuff! If you care not to believe that we are going the speeds we claim, you have that right.  However, you're wrong!

We are all having a tremendous amount of fun with these vintage combat days. Why must some people insist on trying to bring it down.  I'll yet again record flights and walk the lines with a tape measure and do everything to accurately back up our results. Yet someone will say the video isn't in real time!
I will add that we are not flying matches on 015 lines.

Let's put that to bed and have FUN with these old designs and stop the BS!

TOM
AMA 13001

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »
Paul :
I will add to what Tom said. The construction and finished products( read silk and dope) that are displayed and flown at the Vintage Combat Meet here in NJ are the equal of top line stunt models. I guess that it's more than coincidence that the entries are built and flown by some really good stunt flyers. These ships are too nice for combating, IMO.

As Tom said, .015 x60' 7 strand lines( all fresh , not left over from the 60s and 70s) are period correct .
If someone wishes to do a match(rare), they hook up .018s.

Folks have driven very long distances to observe and join in what we're doing here. And the comments and compliments
match the products, efforts, and attention to safety.
Frank

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »
Getting back on track. I had mentioned this before. Here's an old picture of a very young Frank Imbriaco launching Mike Luciano's Super Satan.
 I have some others of Scarinzi as a very young man too. Need to dig them up!
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 10:53:24 AM »
An intelligent man will also know when to use common sense. For instance, my 55mph 64oz. Crossfire in level flight pulls probably 5 times harder on the same lines as 18.5oz 120 mph Super Satan. I would love to see this speed to weight formula. I'm sure we are well within it. The move to 018 was to help prevent line cuts from prop strikes or line tangles. Heck I see flyaways in speed limit on 018's.

Hope you make it Walt!!
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »
From AMA speed section,

When calculating the expected flight loads for the "acceleration" events, 1/2A Proto, .21 Proto and F-40 speed, ect, use 107% of the Record Speed as a base.  Multiple the Record Speed by 1.07 and use this number as "V" for calculating the Max Expected Flight Loads." Max load (pounds) = .0668 x M x 1.2 x V2 R  M = maximum model weight (pounds), R = line length in feet. 

Line Sizes The line sizes for single line applications shall be such that the maximum expected flight load in pounds shall not exceed 56% of the minimum breaking strength of the wire size being utilized. If the maximum expected flight load exceeds this number, the line size shall be increased to the next standard wire size that will satisfy the above criteria.  Additionally, for two-line control systems, the maximum expected flight load in pounds must not exceed 86% of the minimum breaking strength of one wire.  In the event this number is exceeded, the line size shall be increased as described above.

If I'm doing this correctly, I come up with 28lbs(1.1lb model at 130mph). I believe .015 wire min. breaking strength is 40lbs. 86% of 40 is 34.4ibs. Again not sure if all my facts are correct.
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 08:39:16 PM »
Figured I better share prior to test flights. As it sits it came in at 16.89oz. With APC it will be 17oz. I will probably grab a qtr.oz. when I sand and buff. Should still be a great weight just really wanted to hit 16.5 or below.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:11:25 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2018, 08:39:59 PM »
AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »
Beautiful  airplane, Tom, simply beautiful.

Andre

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2018, 09:19:17 PM »
      Very nice, get LS to autograph it and clear over it.
Al

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2018, 09:34:55 PM »
What is the record?
  127 MPH, Super Satan powerd with a 36XBB, 4 timers in front of at least 20 people, 2016 Combat festival.
Al 

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2018, 06:37:48 AM »
Figured I better share prior to test flights. As it sits it came in at 16.89oz. With APC it will be 17oz. I will probably grab a qtr.oz. when I stand and buff. Should still be a great weight just really wanted to hit 16.5 or below.

ARTWORK !!

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 11:53:46 AM »
Started building one of my designs from 1960 when I was in high school.  Found some pictures of it in an old box full of photos.  I called it the "Able."  Redrew the plans in CAD and cut the parts.  Should be framed up by next week.
Jim Vigani

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2018, 12:27:09 PM »
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Very nice!!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 01:50:59 PM »
I like it. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
Yesssss!

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2018, 05:58:09 PM »
Jim :

To think you were doing all of this 10 miles or so from Union and not a UMAC'er ...

Neat ship !

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2018, 06:38:47 AM »
This one is ready too. Wrap readouts tonight. A bit porky but a fairly large wing. I believe this to be very similar to the original VooDoo not the kitted version. Its considerably bigger when I hold them together. It's a replacement for my 45 year old VooDoo.
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2018, 06:39:19 AM »
AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2018, 07:10:44 AM »
Oooo... Johnson CS powered!

You guys are gonna' have a ton of fun!

Andre

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2018, 05:01:08 AM »
We got out yesterday to dust off all the old girls. We did a lot of tinkering in preparation of next months festival. I got to maiden my new Super Satan. I made a quick clip of the mostly boring flight, for those that were interested. This plane is by far my best example of this design. Engine ran great on Sig 10-22 fuel. This plane should be in the hunt for top speed. We also played around with Speed Stunt a bit. That was a tremendous amount of fun!

AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2018, 08:01:58 AM »
Cool!  Sounds good and looks good Tom!

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2018, 05:10:30 PM »
Tom :
You've got a winner, for sure.
Gotta someday get mine started. Was in high school when I built my first in 1967.
 IMO, the Super Satan elicits more excitement in the pits and in the air than any combat ship in history !
Yes, I'm biased .

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2018, 08:35:23 AM »
Reminder,
  Probably one of the best gatherings of the year is this Sunday! We have done some pretty exciting test hops on the stunt event. As predicted it will be quite impressive to watch!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2018, 10:08:21 AM »
IMO, the Super Satan elicits more excitement in the pits and in the air than any combat ship in history !
Yes, I'm biased .

And I would definitely agree with that! Especially when they look like Larry's beautifully finished Satan's (Tom's does!) and flown by a younger Mr. Larry Scarinzi. IMHO, Larry's flying skills have been way underrated over the years. (Overshadowed by his airplane and engine work.) He was QUITE the showman on the handle of a Super Satan "back then" and had some very creative maneuvers he would perform.

At the '72 Nats, I don't recall any other combat airplane preliminary test flights getting the attention and clamor of Larry's developmental flights on that evening I've described in pages past.

Andre

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2018, 05:31:27 PM »
New year's day 2016, he flew my straight wing and absolutely shredded it! It was really something to see. My straight wing with that engine on 10% is pretty consistent in the 112- 115 range. That is amazing for at that time a 82 year old. Definitely a gift like a guy that can hit a 98mph fast ball.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »
Hope theres video!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2018, 08:05:08 PM »
Another outstanding Vintage combat day in the books! I have about 8 hrs. of video to go through. I'll try to get some out in the next day or so. The speed stunt was very entertaining and a lot of fun. We had a Nelson vs. Mark 7 match for some entertainment as well! Top speed was also contested with Al Ferraro taking top honors!

Top speed runs:
Al Ferraro- Super Satan 14.50 Fox 36x 40% nitro  124mph
Al Ferraro- Double Diamond 14.7 Fox 36x 40% nitro 122.4mph
Carl "Tommy" Schaefer-  90% VooDoo 14.85 Fox 36x 50% nitro 121mph
Tom Luciano - Super Satan 15.01 Fox 36x 35% nitro 119.8mph
Al Ferraro- Count Clipper 17.18 Torpedo 35 40% nitro 104.7 mph
Tom Luciano- Hatchet 18.85 Johnson Combat Special 95.45
Carl" Tommy" Schaefer- Up n At'm 19.16 1957 Fox Combat Special 93.9mph
Jim Vigani-Lancer 20.08 Fox 36x 10% nitro  89.6 mph

Speed Stunt:

Tom Luciano- Super Satan Fox 36x 1:22.10 (118mph)
Joe Daly- Flight Streak Fox CS Mark 6 1:33.60
Will Demauro- Flight Streak Fox CS Mark 6 1:36.0
Jim Vigani- Lancer Fox 36x 1:36.10
Carl "Tommy" Schaefer Up n At'm '57 fox Combat Special 1:38.4
Tom Luciano Blitz Fox 36x 1:38.58
Carl "Tommy " Schaefer Flight Streak Fox 36x 1:51.0
Shawn Cook_ Half Fast Fox 36x 2:05.1
Al Ferrraro ( Modern Speed Limit) la 25 2.:15.0

* Added note- No foxes were harmed in the making/during this event!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:57:55 AM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2018, 05:26:47 AM »
First up
Just a friendly Demo match with borrowed planes.We always like to see the more modern stuff fly! Shawn Cook flying a Nelson vs. Roy Glenn with a Fox MK 7. Fox went up a little rich.

AMA 13001

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »
Way too fast for this old man.   I got my Jerk Line Special and Equalizer up for flights yesterday evening.   No pressure set ups. H^^

You guys are having way too much fun #^ #^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2018, 01:45:12 PM »
              I have to say Tom, that was a real good time. I know Al enjoyed the heck out of it. My work weeks have been a bit gloomy due to the pressures of hurry up and get it done. Yesterday, I was able to put all that aside and really just enjoy what I do enjoy the most. Thanks guys for making that possible, my day today was enlightened. Ken

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »
Doc,
  Glad you got them up! We did have some serious fun!

Ken,
  I couldn't agree with you more! At times it can be therapeutic. We have a great group of guys that attend and the day just flies by. I would have liked Shawn to put a pattern on that Nelson Ship! That would have been something!

Tom
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »
Here's Al's speed run with his double diamond.122MPH

AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2018, 06:34:59 PM »
Joe Daly with his Mark 6 powered Flite Streak. Speed Pattern in 1:33! We have a new Vintage Combat Junkie in the making.. He was like... Pssst ...Hey Tom..... you got anymore Nitro?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 05:57:03 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2018, 07:17:01 PM »
Jim Vigani with his own design "Able". Jim designed this in high school. really cool ship! Here he his turning a 1:36.1 in speed stunt!

AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2018, 08:12:41 AM »
Tom S. putting in a speed pattern flight and a speed run. Listen to the bark on that 1957 fox combat special. That's a hell of a lot of power out of that 61 year design!

AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2018, 08:39:19 AM »
Tom L with the Blitz. Think I had a little too much prop on it. It was really loading up on the outsides. I had to nurse it thru the pattern. It turns very well and with a good run, I may have a winner. It has one of my fathers all original xBB's in it. At the end of the flight it sounds like it has a little more whup ass in it!

AMA 13001

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2018, 08:55:59 AM »
Great video Tom!  Speed Stunt is a hoot.
Jim Vigani

Offline Jim Damerell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2018, 09:36:22 AM »
And think how much video we could save if Al F. could set a needle faster! #^

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2018, 09:41:23 AM »
              I have to say Tom, that was a real good time. I know Al enjoyed the heck out of it.
   Ken, you got that right!!!
    The demo fast combat match Fox MK7 vs Nelson 36 was awesome, Shawn and Roy did a great job flying. Thanks goes to Denny Thomas for letting us use his Nelson 36 powered fast combat model in a match with my Fox MK7 fast model. Some other highlights were the Double Diamond breaking 120mph barrier topping out at 122.4mph, CT Schaefer's Count Clipper with that wicked looking and sounding HP 40. It had to be going 110mph doing lots of loops and figure eights. Stunt Speed was exciting to watch and was a huge success. The Super Satan's taking top spots in both events is a tribute to it's design. The chick cop that stopped in for a look and helped us put a joke on LS was hilarious! Lots of beautiful combat models to see. That was just a few of the highlights of this year's combat festival. Can't wait till next year!
Al

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
Sitting here sipping a cup of joe...suddenly it just smells like NITRO!  Sooooo many memories...sooooo much fun! You guys should go on a national tour with this show! H^^ Keep on keepin' on!
PT Granderson

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2018, 11:44:45 AM »
Hey Phil, you kid.  Time to get off your duff and join the fun.   The speed stunt brought back memories of a young lad, Mike McAdams that would fly the pattern using his Voo Doo and Greenhead K&B .35.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2018, 12:21:38 PM »
Good to hear from you Phil! Boy, would I ever love to do a tour!

Here is another stunt guy we are bringing into the dark side. Will Demauro borrowing Joe's mk6 Flite streak and throwing up a 1:36.0 pattern beating out Jim V by .1 seconds!  Will got back to the pits and was so jacked up saying he has never flown that fast in his life. Welcome to our addiction Will! Although cliché, Will, will find himself at the field saying, "I feel the need, the need for speed!" LOL

AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2018, 02:51:03 PM »
Tom S. with a speed run with his 90% VooDoo. Fox 36xABC, 50% nitro.

AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2018, 03:11:53 PM »
Al with his Super Satan speed run. 40% nitro

AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2018, 03:18:04 PM »
Final video for today( i'm shot) will be my attempt at Speed Stunt. I was able to get a speed run at the end of the pattern. I ran 118mph on 10%, Later I upped to 35% figured easy 120+.... NOT......119! lol mw~

AMA 13001

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
Definitely good times had by all!!!! It was certainly for me a of fun to just go out and fly and it was easy, I had Tom and Tom to fuel and start my plane. I almost went home not smelling like fuel!

The guys did a great job putting it together!!!

Thanks Tom, Tom, and Tom

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2018, 04:44:07 PM »
Hello Thanks Tom for posting the video's of the meeting . Very inspiring stuff, has got me busy refurbishing a lot of my old combat models and trying those speed stunt runs. Wonder if Al Ferraro could post his excellent video he posted on Face Book here , of the event here as it was really neat to see everyone's models close up and a lot of guys are not on F/B.
Regards Gerald

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2018, 05:22:57 PM »
Excellent idea Gerald !Shhh, I hope Al doesn't mind, I was able to pirate it off facebook!

AMA 13001

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2018, 08:07:52 PM »
I like all the videos and the last one I think is the best.  Tried to count the number of planes, but kept getting lost.   How many was there and ow many pilots flew?  May have to talk the wife into a late vacation next year.  Would like to try some thing like that here at our field, but as David pointed out to me there are no facilities for the ladies.  But I have the Tulsa get together coming up if I can get rid of a granddaughter so I can have my Suburban.

Again thanks for the videos of you guys having way too much fun. #^ #^ H^^

By the way this could be the VSC(Vintage Stunt Championships) of combat.  Just don't get too serious. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2018, 08:16:09 PM »
And think how much video we could save if Al F. could set a needle faster! #^
  Jim I was just trying to get as much screen time in the video as possible. H^^  My MK7 was loaded up with after run oil and I should have prerun the engine like I did with the Nelson. Denny’s Nellie is a real beast and I was not going to send Roy up with a sour engine run. After the match was over the Fox came down with its whole tail plus it had the power to walk down the Nelson in the match. S?P  na#
Al

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2018, 05:45:03 PM »
Tom L.- the videos are great. You have a spectacular fleet of vintage ships -and you've built each and every one of them faithful to the era !
Jim V.- We're all super impressed with your vintage designs. Any more that you are hiding ?
Tom H. - Fine job of CD-ing. (You are duly re-elected for next year- lol).
The rest of you guys provided entertainment for all present.
Looking forward to  the 2019 event

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2018, 05:47:31 AM »
Thanks Frank!
  I need to work on my pattern a bit! That was the second flight on the Super Satan and boy does that thing fly great! In the 
first triangle I
 flew the second leg too step and went to flatten it out on the second triangle and it was instantly behind me! I was lucky to save it! Although the video doesn't show it all too well, you can hear the corners(in squares)in the engine run. I cant tell you all what a rush it is to fly the pattern at that speed. As Jim stated it's a hoot!

I have a few more ideas for next year that I'll run by Hamp but, as Doc said it's all about having fun with these old designs!

Oh, and how bout that mark 6 powered flite streak! I gotta get me one of those!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2020, 05:34:34 PM »
At some point I think an intelligent man would consider the safety margin. Our club once contacted AMA for guidance on some high performance unofficial events we were running and they were very helpful. I would guess they might tell you to use modern combat specs.

126 mph on .015 stranded? AMA slow rat is about that fast on .016 solids or .018" stranded. Early 70's when I was in combat we were on lighter stranded lines and high nitro fuel. Don't know when they changed those things but, they were changed for a reason I'm sure.

I think AMA Speed has some kind of speed/weight formula for line size. If I were making a speed type event I would have a look at those calculations.

If I get my plane done for the contest it will be on .018" stranded and 10% nitro but I don't expect to set any speed records, just have fun.

Motorman 8)

120 days who cares.  Good topic to revive.
The question was line sizes.  The AMA made a fiat change(well maybe somebody did propose it) after the  1976  NATS.  There were multiple flyaways, both double flyaways with line wraps and single flyaways from broken lines, in both Fast and Slow.

The next year 0.018  lines were mandated for anything over a 15, and safety thongs were required on every flight.
In 76 a LOT of pilots were flying with a loose, open finger-tip hand grip. Any kind of hard tug could pull the plane out of the pilot's hand.
0.015 lines were just too fragile for 100+mph line tangles.  They either popped easily, or both pilots let go and there was a line tangle/flyaway.  There were several of these in the first three rounds(double elim first round?).  Something similar happened in Fast but not as many.  Most of the Fast flyers had flown it for at least 5-6 years at some big contests and got more combat flying time and learned more tricks to survive.

I think Howard CD'd this event.  He may have better memories or maybe even some notes.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2020, 05:39:50 PM »
I don't think thongs were implemented until after the '87 Lincoln Nats, where a flyaway shorted out some high voltage lines and blacked out part of the town. I could be all wrong, though.  ???

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here